Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knowledge base for upgrading to 4.0 from heavy modified 3.8

Hi,

I would like to know (at least evaluate) how much time and how it will be hard (or not) for me to upgrade some of my heavy modified vb 3.8 boards to vb4.0 series.
    (Not kidding about heavy, it's really heavy.)

In my member account I only see 3.8 manual and I don't find on vb.org any "how to" detailed on this subject.
    Is there any tutorial or documentation for upgrading deep personal custom mods available without buying a new 4.0 licence ?
    Is there at least semi-public knowledge base about 4.0 (manual) for 3.8 licence owner ?

Sorry if question was already asked.

You should create a backup and restore it to its own database and preform test upgrades on it bfore you go though with the real upgrade.
    Biggest thing you need to do is either be prepared to uninstall or disable those addons before the upgrade. The coding of vB4 has changed enough where they can cause problems. After the upgrade some of your addons may not have been converted/rewritten for vB4.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
      You should create a backup and restore it to its own database and preform test upgrades on it bfore you go though with the real upgrade.
      Biggest thing you need to do is either be prepared to uninstall or disable those addons before the upgrade. The coding of vB4 has changed enough where they can cause problems. After the upgrade some of your addons may not have been converted/rewritten for vB4.
      I already know that and it's not really my question. I'm vb licenced user since 2.0 series so I know the way to upgrade. (either for vb.org mods or my custom mods)
      I'm just having difficulty to find enough documentation/manual in order to evaluate before buying 4.0 suite how big will be my upgrade work this time. I have no choice and I have to convert/rewritte my custom addons.

Comment

The main changes are in the templates. Any custom add-ons that make template changes, or have their own templates will be a fair amount of work. You'll also have to convert all your custom styles which is probably the biggest job of all.

For one of my custom add-ons that was mostly focused around the admincp, it worked only changing the hook used (and that was only to make sure it worked with the CMS); took about 10 mins to upgrade it and test it.

My other mods are in various states of upgrades as they required an amount of editing to the templates.
        Some of my Mods:
        Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb3.6+ version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
        Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb4 version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
        Use Original thread for Comments - Uses the original thread for comments for any forum threads promoted to CMS articles.
        Custom Friendly Urls - Allows customisation of forum urls from the admin CP.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X