Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Post Your Successful vB4 CMS Sites Here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Ridley
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    This is symptomatic of a lot of the problems of late. Don't want to sound like I'm having a go at Steve here as I'm sure he meant no offence, but it's worth pointing this out.

BTW - some of the CMS sites posted in this thread are utterly awesome. My own is complete trash by comparison. I am in complete awe of some of them and it's really opened my eyes to what can be achieved with the CMS if you have a mind to it. I've no great desire to do much more with mine, but to those people with awesome CMS's - fantastic job chaps!

Hey Mark,
    The trouble with written text its hard to give it tone to a reply, like i said to the guy before having played around with just some very simple aspects of the back-end of VB css i completely understand no one wanting to give away the things they have spent a long time to
    achieve and asking for a quick fix "XML to download and install" is naive of me.
    Having said that i don't seem any harm in asking after all no matter how good a site looks we all know its the content of site that is key to its success after all what's the point in a amazing looking site if no one see's it.

the only thing i can offer for any help or advice given to me is that i will promote their site in return on my twitter feed and main site and podcast.

Like the man said all of these sites look great fantastic job chaps!

Leave a comment:

• dtommy79
    replied
    Originally posted by reefland View Post
    To anyone who thinks that the CMS doesn't provide the ability for customization, I say phooey.
    http://www.nationofblue.com/1821-nation-blue-tv/
    That looks awesome m8.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    This is symptomatic of a lot of the problems of late. Don't want to sound like I'm having a go at Steve here as I'm sure he meant no offence, but it's worth pointing this out.

There are quite a few of us who have put a LOT of work into making our sites appear how they do. Not just the CMS (my CMS is fairly basic) but also in other areas. And often this is hours and hours and weeks and months of custom coding and styling, to give our sites that unique look and feel that is essential to any successful community.

And then people come along and say "tell me how you did that - in a simple plug in please". Yeah, right!

Two points:
    1) Not everyone is going to want to show some other site how to look exactly like theirs. Why would they or should they?
    2) Even if they are happy to do that (I would be for many aspects), it isn't as simple as pressing a button or two! It's many, many hours of coding ad trial and error and fixing and changing, and our sites are usually heavily customised anyway, so it certainly isn't even as simple as "find x and replace with y", because "x" on our sites is probably nothing like "x" on a default board.
    3) Time is money. Nobody's going to spend hours of their own time showing someone they have never met before how to achieve the exact same results.

It's harsh, but that's how it is.
    I've lost count of the number of PMs I've had over stuff on my site. To the extent I've now turned PMs off. And my site isn't as customised as many so lord knows what it must be like for others.

To be fair I've been able to assist quite a few people because their requests have been realistic and although I have been unable to provide exact step by step instructions, I've been able to give them enough info to point them in the right direction and they have managed to achieve what they wanted without it looking exactly like mine. That's how it should be. But others just say "pleeeeeease do this for me i am new to this and dont know what to do and i cant pay you i dont have no money" etc etc.

But the bottom line is, to achieve some of the excellent results you often see on sites, it's either (a) hire someone to do it or (b) take the time to learn how to do it yourself - and it's painstaking. There's no "quick fix" to do this sort of stuff. www.vbulletin.org remains an excellent resource despite what people say, it's the best place to start. I learned everything I know from there, pretty much.

BTW - some of the CMS sites posted in this thread are utterly awesome. My own is complete trash by comparison. I am in complete awe of some of them and it's really opened my eyes to what can be achieved with the CMS if you have a mind to it. I've no great desire to do much more with mine, but to those people with awesome CMS's - fantastic job chaps!

Leave a comment:

• Steve Ridley
    replied
    Originally posted by Ramsesx View Post
    What answer do you expect Steve? Giving you a step by step instruction how to do it? Or better a complete style including plug-ins you only have to install?
    Sorry but that's not the way how it works.
    I don't want to know how many time he spend to get the site looking this way.
    You need excellent css, graphic and coding skills to do that. But not the answer you were looking for, right?

ouch yer your right i was looking for a fix with links to a few plug ins
    but i guess your right ive only briefly touched the ccs and coding to change a few minor things and that took me ages.
    so even if he posted a guide on how to do the great things he has i would find them impossible to use on my site.

thanks for the reply

Leave a comment:

• Ramsesx
    replied
    What answer do you expect Steve? Giving you a step by step instruction how to do it? Or better a complete style including plug-ins you only have to install?
    Sorry but that's not the way how it works.
    I don't want to know how many time he spend to get the site looking this way.
    You need excellent css, graphic and coding skills to do that. But not the answer you were looking for, right?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Ridley
    replied
    Sorry did i kill this thread

im still waiting for the http://www.deathfall.com/forums/ guys ti tell us how they did their great site?

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Ridley View Post
    Hey bud thank you for the feed back yup I need to change up the colours,I'm doing things in small steps as I know how easy it is to break stuff.I have yet to update my license to VB forum so I can't view that page what is the bug?

I'm so impressed with others sites after 4 hours of just tweaking things last night I know how long even the simplest thing can take
    To get vB support on these forums you first need to be a licensed customer and register for Priority Forum Support. To do this, please go here:

https://members.vbulletin.com/member...t_priority.php

...and enter your email address in one of the boxes. You'll need to have your customer number and password to access the page.

Once you've done this, please post in the appropriate support forum for your version.

Leave a comment:

• Ramsesx
    replied
    thank you,now how do i fix that? at them the moment my team are hot linking whilst they get used to VB

I changed up my style colors and agree that keeping the standard blue is day one stuff
    Sorry Steve but I'm not sure if you're licensed and it's uncommon to provide fixes in public forum areas. If you have joined this 50$ 3 months upgrade program I would strongly recommend to upgrade to a vB4 full license because there are still many bugs fixed in every new release.

Leave a comment:

• steven s
    replied
    Originally posted by jackspratt View Post
    I thought it was another forum package at first.

Leave a comment:

• Alfa1
    replied
    Originally posted by jackspratt View Post
    That takes a looong time to load.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Ridley
    replied
    The bug is that preview images are only resized optical but not in file size. This means, if you have added an image in your article with a size of 100kb and you use this as the preview image, in the section page this resized image has the same 100kb where it should only be 5kb or so.
    thank you,now how do i fix that? at them the moment my team are hot linking whilst they get used to VB

I changed up my style colors and agree that keeping the standard blue is day one stuff

Leave a comment:

• jackspratt
    replied
    http://www.tankscapers.com

Leave a comment:

• Ramsesx
    replied
    Hey bud thank you for the feed back yup I need to change up the colours,I'm doing things in small steps as I know how easy it is to break stuff.I have yet to update my license to VB forum so I can't view that page what is the bug?
    The bug is that preview images are only resized optical but not in file size. This means, if you have added an image in your article with a size of 100kb and you use this as the preview image, in the section page this resized image has the same 100kb where it should only be 5kb or so.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Ridley
    replied
    The background is nice, I would customize the colors more than you have done. Especially all those blue/green default vB colors in fonts navbar etc..
    And also check out this issue, your cms page has right now way more than 1mb file size only caused by preview images.

I'm so impressed with others sites after 4 hours of just tweaking things last night I know how long even the simplest thing can take

Leave a comment:

• reefland
    replied
    To anyone who thinks that the CMS doesn't provide the ability for customization, I say phooey.
    http://www.nationofblue.com/1821-nation-blue-tv/

Leave a comment: