What hosting package?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What hosting package?

Who here is using a shared package with their 4.0 forum or suite? Who was using one? I want to compare hosting services. How are you finding things running smoothly? or bumpy?, let us know!

You realize there's an entire forum dedicated to this very subject itself.

Comment

i use www.siteground.com i have only seen one downtime that laster 10 minuites and that was planned for a mysql update. others here have had bad experences however those were at a time before i started useing them almost 3 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Shotglass View Post
        Who here is using a shared package with their 4.0 forum or suite? Who was using one? I want to compare hosting services. How are you finding things running smoothly? or bumpy?, let us know!
        Maybe you can share your budget and requirements with others so they can help you figure out what you are looking for? How big is your vbulletin forums? Statistics? Shared hosting is not always suitable for running large vBulletin based forums.
        ■█► WireNine.com Web Hosting 8+ years in business!
        ■█► Shared Hosting, Reseller Hosting and VPS Hosting 24/7 Support 99.9% Uptime 60 Day Money Back Guarantee
        ■█► cPanel, Litespeed, CloudFlare, Softaculous, Attracta SEO, Site Builder
        ■█► Find us on Facebook and follow us @wirenine

Comment

I have no forums running presently i am waiting to purchase and upload 4.0 suite to a shared plan simply for financial reasons. I just wanted to know how people here already were fairing using a shared hosting plan with either their 4.0 forum or preferably cms suite. After doing my homework i will probably choose either Hosthead or Cyberwurx but as a lot of them oversell the packages downtime is of main concern to me. Not easy when you don't have the money to throw around is it! In the past i have used free forums and messed around with a nulled version of fusionbb although not for live public use as i would never use a nulled forum for many reasons. Actually i wonder how they are getting along with sales of that as it is relatively new software.

Comment

I have hostgator and have not had an issue. I think in the few years I have been with them I have been down for 10-15 minutes total.

Comment

I was on bluehost but we were pretty much up against thier cpu limit on 3.8.4. So I moved over to Linode and picked up 2 360 vps slices and haven't looked back since. 4.0 is a process HOG. I was running 3-4% cpu (front side) on 3.8.4 and now with 4.0.1 we are up in that 10-11% range on the front side and 3-5% on the database side. We have about 2500 members, 650-700 regular members and about 50-75 online at pretty much any time of the day. And we were paying about $25 a month on bluehost and we are currently at $40 a month for the 2 vps servers.

Russ

Comment

I would search at webhostingtalk and read the reviews of any host you may be considering.
                -- Web Developer for hire
                ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

Comment

Originally posted by marinelife View Post
                  I have hostgator and have not had an issue. I think in the few years I have been with them I have been down for 10-15 minutes total.
                  same here. on top of that, their live chat and email support both are awesome.

Comment

I am not running vbulletin yet,but my personal warning is to avoid lunarpages. They don't give you much in the way of back-end controls, and stopped being able to support a meager wordpress/phpbb3 installation with only 5-10 users on at any one time... and most of those were search engine bots! I ditched their shared hosting and moved to dreamhost's private server hosting when they had a huge deal going on.

Edit: Oh, and they lied about having php5 installed. That's a pretty big thing to screw up on.

Comment

Hostgator, Bluehost and Dreamhost are the very hosting providers that i have read a lot of negative comments about and already had them scrubbed from my list of possibilities. Complaints often arise against them regarding resource usage problems and suspending or shutting down people's sites without warning! Other complaint's as well but they are off the top of my head presently.

Comment

I probably should have mentioned that I never tried Dreamhost's shared servers, so that probably doesn't help you very much. I will say I have gotten extremely good service from their Private servers though. When I started I got something like a year of hosting for 9 dollars (they have occasionally 93% discount sign-up sales) and one of the support staff also set me up with a permanent 10-dollar discount on the monthly private server fees. My wallet was (and still is) pretty tight for hosting costs, but that was low enough for me to handl, especially since my site has outgrown the possibility of ever using shared hosting again.

I can complain more about Lunarpages though, if you'd like. Somehow my FTP password got out and some virus managed to hide two trojan scripts on my site in random locations, with single-letter differences from actual scripts. Lunarpages caught the first one, contacted me, and missed the second one for about 2 weeks, at which point its scan detected what it had missed the first time and shut off my entire site without warning. I then got absolutely no help from their staff on how to go about fixing the problem. After getting my site back up about 2 months went by before lunarpages started contacting me about how my forum scripts were using an entire 1% of the server's CPU usage, and how they warned me they would either require me to upgrade to their over-priced "Virtual Private Servers" or shut down the site. That's when I started checking out various hosts to see what was good at the time.

Enough of my little rant though. The most useful advice I can give you is to only look at reviews for hosts from the past year. Many host's quality rankings/reviews go up and down in a very short time, and some of them fix problems and others let new problems crop up. I know dreamhost had a lot of trouble a few years ago, but when I signed up it was higher up on the list of quality private servers. I don't know where it ranks now, but I'd give them a thumbs up.

Comment

Lunarpages is also scrubbed from my list. I have already visited Webhosting talk in the past but it was worth making the thread here because i just discovered Linode and Slicehost and both seem good possibilities. Downsides with Linode is the fact they have no C-Panel and do not have a backup system in place! Comparing is difficult when people are using different packages for different needs which is why i needed to make a thread here specifically relating to vbulletin 4.0 and suite only. This complaint about 4.0 being a resource hog and especially as i will be using the suite as well do make me seriously rethink even chancing a shared package now anyway. Linode is affordable to me but the last thing i want is to have to move the thing only a few months into building it up. It has been going longer than 5 years also a good sign as you can get comfortable with a host and then find they are gone one day sudddenly.

Comment

The fact that good and bad service can both rear their ugly heads with a hosting provider is something else i am already aware of especially if they are taken over by new management as is the case with IX Webhosting. I talked to a woman who owns and runs Naked Hosting but if she gets run over by a car tomorrow who takes over her business or does it shut down or is it run into the ground by new owners? You can always consider buying a server and hosting your sites yourself of course in the long run it should work out much cheaper especially if you are paying for dedicated.

Comment

We went with asmallorange as I had heard good things about them. Using a shared hosting package on a vb 4.0.1 site with vbseo since November and reached over 350 people online today with a 15 minute cookie timeout...no problems at all from asmallorange. I have already been in touch with them about an upgrade to a suitable solution for that type of traffic but they have been wonderful to date.
                              sigpic
                              Nation of Blue - Kentucky Wildcats Sports

Some CMS Goodness: Add Avatar to Article

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X