vBulletin - Question on a Thread Template

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin - Question on a Thread Template

I'm the webmaster for a school in New York, and I've been placed in charge of creating an online location for our faculty to enter department reports in a way that is password protected (only school staff), and that allows only department coordinators to create reports, but also allows all staff to add comment and conversational pieces about these reports. A Forum was the best and only way I could think of doing this, and by perusing your forums, I'm confident that the above is possible (please confirm this!). Even more exciting is the knowledge that we're the first school in our area to try to create this collaborative private network of information, and everyone else is watching us to see how we do it. No pressure... So if vBulletin works like I think it will, it will end up spreading to other schools in our area.

And now to the big question: with the way I'm picturing this working, when a department coordinator makes a monthly report (in our case, creates a thread in their specific department category), we would like to have an already-established template for them to immediately begin importing information. Besides just general text and formatting, this template would also have to include a table. Is there a way to create this template so that everyone who makes a report (i.e. creates a thread within a given cateory) immediately starts with this template set up, table set up, and just fills in/adds the info as they need to do?

Thanks for your time. Please say yes and make me happy. There will be much rejoicing.

-Rob Allen

There is a "Stencil" hack over on vbulletin.org that could make it so when you click on New Thread you would get a pre-formated post, like:
    Name:
    City:
    Whatever else:
    It is for the 3.X series, but I would guess that you could upgrade it to work on 4.0. The other option is to create a custom New Thread page for that forum which has a form and then when the post is created, the contents of that forum are arranged in a specific way for the post. How are your coding skills?

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Coding skills are pretty good - XHTML and CSS is great. I'm operating the school website using WordPress for the blogging/news side of it, and asp.net for the rest of the pages (just for the master page function of asp.net). Except for Wordpress, everything I code is in a text editor. I've done enough tweaking in WordPress to understand the basics of how PHP functions, like what files to modify and why, but I don't know anything else in php. Very little knowledge of MySQL, except that it exists, I have it, and I call someone for help on it.

So I could code a table that would lock in width and allow the height to be fluid.

Because we have will have so many different categories of the forum (one for each grade level K-12, and departments), we'll have many different parts of the forum that will need to be set up with this default template. My questions about the hack idea are the following:
      -can I have only SOME of the categories of the forum with this default template, and others without?
      -If someone replies to the thread, will it have the same template built into it (that would be bad).
      -Is there a non-hack way to do this? (not a big deal if it isn't).

Comment

This is the mod I was thinking of - Thread Stencil. Taking a quick look at it, it doesn't look too complicated and can probably easily be used in vB4. edit: I just tested it and it works fine. Here is an image of the Post New Thread page with the above put into the stencil:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	stencil.png
Views:	1
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	3677696

And yes, you may have it only be that way in some of the forums. You go into the Forum Manager and select whether to use a stencil for that forum and then insert the text to use for a stencil for that forum. The replies to the thread do NOT use the stencil - they are just regular posts. You would have to use some sort of modifying to get this sort of thing to happen. The mod is actually a very simple one - very few lines of code. It does add three fields to the forum table though.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X