X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hooper
    replied
    Originally posted by wluke

Having intensive administration routines like this is normal for database applications. I once wrote an indexing routine that had to process 20,000 queries a second in order to get the job done in less than 96 hours. Not for vBulletin of course but for a much larger system with over 800 tables and a quarter of a billion records. However since it was only used once every 6 months, the resources needed to get the job done were not an obstacle.

Good Golly Miss Molly.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    How many times a day do you access the admin/forumpermissions.php?

1? 2? Certainly not 150,000 times which is what I get at SitePointForums.com for the index page alone.

Sometimes you have to draw a line between optimization and functionality. Now the forumpermissions control panel gives you a lot of minute detail about who can access what forum and to what degree. This power comes at a price. However unless you are sitting there and refreshing it all day, the number of queries shouldn't be a problem in the load of your server. If these queries were on the main index (index.php) that all your members access regularly, then there would be cause for alarm.

Having intensive administration routines like this is normal for database applications. I once wrote an indexing routine that had to process 20,000 queries a second in order to get the job done in less than 96 hours. Not for vBulletin of course but for a much larger system with over 800 tables and a quarter of a billion records. However since it was only used once every 6 months, the resources needed to get the job done were not an obstacle.

Leave a comment:

• LDT
    replied
    Holy cr*p! 1121 queries on my forums permission page!
    26 queries per forum... Not complaining here, just saying that it's very likely that your friend indeed has 300 queries on that page.
    Last edited by LDT; Wed 21 Nov '01, 11:03am.

Leave a comment:

• tubedogg
    replied
    Originally posted by Billy
    Oh, I don't know if this matters, but he said that some of your queries aren't counted in the count, so he added those to the count and that is where he got the 300 from.
    What would be the point of that (us hiding queries I mean) when anyone with a license could pop open forumpermissions.php in a text editor and count the queries (as I did)?

Leave a comment:

• Freddie Bingham
    replied
    We allow everyone in the world to see the exact queries we are running and how many are being executed. You simply have to add &showqueries=1 to any url on any vbulletin board. You should only do it on this forum though since inefficient hacks may be installed by end-users.

When we design the database we set up the structure to provide maximum benefit to the queries that are spawned by the forum pages. These are the pages that see great usage based on the amount of users you have.

Doing this does not always leave us with the "perfect" query that needs to be executed in the Admin CP. We could add Index A and Index B or Lookup field Y to any given table and that would speed up Admin functions and lessen queries but it would adversely slowdown forum usage. We don't consider the Admin CP to be a high resource area as we expect it to only be used a handful of times on average per day. We optimize the admin queries but we need a lot of information to perform some functions in the Admin CP so at times, yes, there may seem to be an excessive amount of queries to determine permissions or other related items. I couldn't tell you how many queries any page in the admin CP uses but that number would be based off of how many forums and usergroups you have. We have a balance beam and we stack everything on that beam over to the side of the forums. Others may choose to stack that beam more towards the middle.

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    not i just checked by adding ?showqueries=1 to the end of the forumpermission php file and it looks like

5 queries to each forum + 2 queries per usergroup per forum??????????

i know i'm reading that wrong

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    replied
    Oh, I don't know if this matters, but he said that some of your queries aren't counted in the count, so he added those to the count and that is where he got the 300 from.

Leave a comment:

• Billy
    replied
    Are you guys looking at the right place, he said there were 10 groups and 8 forums. He said in forumpermissions that it was 300 queries.

Leave a comment:

• Kaizen
    replied
    hehehe

btw you took the link out to calculate hits on pages

mysql hit counter or something

whats the link for that ?

Also:

I heard you were talking about english colleges/uni etc.

R u coming here for your education ?

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    LOL... my sig's a permanent fixture around here take a read http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=23421

Leave a comment:

• Kaizen
    replied
    oh and btw

isn't your sig getting a little big

I got a pm the other day from some user asking me to shorten.

I agreed and did !

But yours just gets bigger everyday - lol

Leave a comment:

• Kaizen
    replied
    *me waits for eva's server to crash

*me thinks, not long now !!!

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    yeah that's because i had 452,000+ posts 29,000 threads and wanted to reindex

with min 3 and max 17 characters

now i have 9+ million records in searchindex

also vB ain't the only thing on my server.. i have several live sites which get as much traffic or more than my vB forum

Leave a comment:

• Kaizen
    replied
    lol

you have to re--index overnight

hehehehhe

never taken me more than 20 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• George L
    replied
    takes it easily

171 queries/second on searchindex reindexing - check it out http://vbulletin.com/forum/showthrea...hlight=queries

remember that page isn't regularly accessed only when adding new forums or loading that page..

Leave a comment: