Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

4.0.1 Released

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 4.0.1 Released

    Welcome 4.0.1 we have been expecting you! You know the name,You know the number! So with 4.1 and 4.2 the combined bugs fixed work out around 500 i def need to hold out for 4.2 Somebody here was complaining when they purchased the other week or so ago they never got a download link was that some bug also? People please let us know how much of a help the latest bugs fix's have been to your site's!

  • #2
    I am very disappointed with 4.01, because it introduced at least 10 bugs that I wasn't experiencing before, and it didn't fix most of the ones I wanted fixed (particularly the Opera bugs, but I realize that's a small market).

    Some were half fixed or something - for instance, the "% % %" date bug in CMS is fixed, but I still get an error everytime I make an article (Warning: getdate() expects parameter 1 to be long, string given in [path]/packages/vbcms/item/content.php on line 2507).

    I've had it for a day and I'm still finding new bugs I didn't have before. Another big negative is that the small style customizations I had done are broken now, which I guess might be my fault, but jeez, can't styles survive from a .01 release to another? I ended up reverting.

    In short, I wish I hadn't updated to 4.01, it didn't fix enough to bother with the new bugs, and now I don't know if I should bother dealing with these new bugs and workarounds, or just wait for 4.02 because everything will break again. Some, I consider serious bugs that I didn't have before, and affect the user experience a lot (the worst right now is that clicking on the "latest post" button takes you to the top of the page, not to the latest unread or latest post, but there's a few others).

    I hate to sound negative but right now I can't pretend to feel any other way, I had high hopes for it, and I was convinced at least nothing would break further.

    Trying to be more positive, maybe the queries bug is fixed? I didn't notice much difference speed-wise, maybe someone can run tests and all that.
    Last edited by vivamexico55; Wed 13 Jan '10, 12:36pm.

    Comment


    • #3
      they warned us all about the style vars not being finished and we would have to re do some things if we used them to skin the sites before they were finished.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mike Anime View Post
        they warned us all about the style vars not being finished and we would have to re do some things if we used them to skin the sites before they were finished.
        That's great, I don't remember any emails, but ok. Any thoughts about the rest?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by vivamexico55 View Post
          That's great, I don't remember any emails, but ok. Any thoughts about the rest?

          stylevars should be done in 4.0.2

          Comment


          • #6
            Don Kuramura quotes on the announcement: We are currently working on 4.0.2 and this should be released in 2 to 3 weeks. Here is a list of fixes that have already been completed for 4.0.2:• And about 100 more bugs. What was wrong with bringing out 4.1 with all the fixed bugs already completed and intended for the 4.2 release i would like to know? Then they really could have gone for gold with 4.2 and tried to really finish it off or do they like stages ? Also does he mean when he says 100 more bugs that they have already completed 100 more bugs or they intend to fix 100 more bugs?

            Comment


            • #7
              He means 100 more bugs will be fixed until 4.0.2. It's quite natural that upon release of 4.0.1 some more bugs have been fixed already than made it in. Some days before release, the build goes to QA. They check whether the bugs marked fixed really are. Only then the build is released. While this happens, the devs continue to fix bugs, of course. They don't withold fixes because they are mean or something, but they continue fixing bugs for the next release while the actual release is being prepared by others.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Shotglass View Post
                Don Kuramura quotes on the announcement: We are currently working on 4.0.2 and this should be released in 2 to 3 weeks. Here is a list of fixes that have already been completed for 4.0.2:• And about 100 more bugs. What was wrong with bringing out 4.1 with all the fixed bugs already completed and intended for the 4.2 release i would like to know? Then they really could have gone for gold with 4.2 and tried to really finish it off or do they like stages ? Also does he mean when he says 100 more bugs that they have already completed 100 more bugs or they intend to fix 100 more bugs?
                Something people don't seem to grasp about QA and release certification. In the development world you have to make a cutoff point for fixes/features to be included in a certain release. Those set fixes/features have to be checked and then certified for release. Sure, they are working on 4.0.2 but they can't just add those fixes to 4.0.1 when it's already been certified for release. With the lack of knowledge surrounding a software development process, I wish they would just say "Hey, we're working on 4.0.2." and leave it at that. The average Joe Q. User doesn't understand this processes. (as evidenced by the many other threads with this same question....)
                To be updated...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ENF View Post
                  Something people don't seem to grasp about QA and release certification. In the development world you have to make a cutoff point for fixes/features to be included in a certain release. Those set fixes/features have to be checked and then certified for release. Sure, they are working on 4.0.2 but they can't just add those fixes to 4.0.1 when it's already been certified for release. With the lack of knowledge surrounding a software development process, I wish they would just say "Hey, we're working on 4.0.2." and leave it at that. The average Joe Q. User doesn't understand this processes. (as evidenced by the many other threads with this same question....)
                  No not exactly correct you see since i was confused over what they actually meant by 100 more bugs fixed it would make sense to release 4.1 with all those extra bugs released whether it meant stalling the update a few days longer or not! In fact nobody here can know with any certainty just how many extra bugs they have had finished but decided to shelve them so to speak to make the next upgrade seem like it has had a lot of work in itself. It makes them look busy and would justify the extra support they charge for in the past as well. Common sense tells me that the post is implying that 100 extra bugs will be finished anyway because otherwise it would make sense to keep quiet about just how much extra work could have been included especially taking into account all the annoyed customers we have on here!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I mean no disrespect, but I had quite a hard time following what you wanted to say (shorter sentences might be helpful). Anyway, I just see no indication whatever for what your trying to insinuate here. Even if they managed to fix another 100 bugs in the few days since 4.0.1 was frozen that would only be good for users, since no doubt even more bugs would be fixed until 4.0.2 then. I really don't see how you could come to think they would fix bugs, keep the fixes away from the users by spite, then twiddle their thumbs until next release. Your theory about support charges really is far fetched, bordering on absurd. You're just knitting conspiration theories.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I am having problems with the browser it keeps posting everything together instead of paragraphing i don't know why! Secondly my comments are immaterial with 4.0 as its support is free until 5.0 anyway but in the past since they charge for support after a year free then it makes sense from that perspective. I could even suggest they have a complete bug free copy of 4.0 that they are holding back how is that for conspiracy theories? Don't always underestimate the intentions of companies and their marketing tricks though.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Shotglass View Post
                        Secondly my comments are immaterial with 4.0 as its support is free until 5.0 anyway but in the past since they charge for support after a year free then it makes sense from that perspective.
                        The yearly renewal fee is no longer. The licensing system no longer works that way, and it was never a support thing mainly, but you needed to repay to get updates. You're making absolutely no sense.

                        I could even suggest they have a complete bug free copy of 4.0 that they are holding back how is that for conspiracy theories?
                        Honestly? Ridicoulous.

                        Don't always underestimate the intentions of companies and their marketing tricks though.
                        YMMD. The buggy release of vB4 as a big marketing scheme. I need to point some people to this thread, everybody needs a good laugh now and then...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Shotglass View Post
                          No not exactly correct you see since i was confused over what they actually meant by 100 more bugs fixed it would make sense to release 4.1 with all those extra bugs released whether it meant stalling the update a few days longer or not! In fact nobody here can know with any certainty just how many extra bugs they have had finished but decided to shelve them so to speak to make the next upgrade seem like it has had a lot of work in itself. It makes them look busy and would justify the extra support they charge for in the past as well. Common sense tells me that the post is implying that 100 extra bugs will be finished anyway because otherwise it would make sense to keep quiet about just how much extra work could have been included especially taking into account all the annoyed customers we have on here!
                          Look at it this way

                          Bug fix != Verified Bug Fix. ( != Means 'not equal')

                          4.01 has verified bug fixes. The kind you release

                          The 100 bug fixes mentioned should have said 100 more bug fixes but they are currently unverified and will make it into 4.02 when verfied.

                          Make sense?

                          You want this process. What if a bug fix eats your server? I think you want them to check that out first.
                          Hmmm. Cheese.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Yes i am joking about the buggy release being some kind of marketing ploy but that was not my point and my point is do not always take their word and what you see at face value as gospel. As far as i understand once your year of support was up anything thereafter you had to pay for in support renewal is that not correct? As i am going with shared hosting and that creates a whole load of problems in itself no way would i want to chance uploading this software until it has had some major bugs fixed and i am impatient enough already! Anybody else here already using shared hosting for this suite?

                            Comment

                            widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X