Urgent CMS Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent CMS Question

Let me start out by saying I am way new at this, so if I say something stupid, please don't make me feel stupid, but do correct me so I won't say it again.

I am redesigning a site for a very particular client which is a national organization. I need to find news content that can be streamlined to receive only news relevant to this organization.

Is this what CMS does, and if so, is CMS by vBulletin the product for which I want to stick my neck out on the line or do I need to look somewhere else? And, if I need to look elsewhere, does anyone know of a better place for this content?

As stated in the title, this is an urgent question, as I am under a tight deadline because I have spent an eternity looking for a product that will do this.

Thanks for the help.

It sounds to me like you want an RSS feed. The CMS is not anything like an RSS feed. You need to put your own articles into the CMS to be displayed, not have them automatically imported from another site.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
    vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
    Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
    If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

I am interested in the forum - can anyone recommend yea or nah on it?

Yeah, I think this is the wrong thing for me. My client does not want to participate in providing information - they hire me for that. Also, I don't simply need the portal - I can create a page with RSS feeds, so I don't need it on that level, and to interact with my message board is not desirable because their message board conversations are behind a password wall and are not for public consumption.

Is there anything I am missing here or is CMS absolutely the wrong product for me at every level?

Comment

Well, the CMS is very adaptable, but I couldn't recommend it right now without knowing more about how you expect to use it.

News content can be streamed directly to forums via RSS feeds from CNN or what-have-you (any reputable news source provides RSS feeds)... But I don't know how you'd specify only certain topics if they're too specific. Maybe Google News.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X