Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Renewal vs New

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Renewal vs New

    Hello.....

    I have few expired Owned licenses, one that just expired right before vB4

    Now, why would I renew and not just go ahead with a new lincese?
    yeah there is 35 dollars discount.. not a big deal compared to having another license !!!
    I can stick with 3.8 and able to download security patchs AND
    with a new license I get 4.0

    Convence me otherwise please...

    My point is that theres not really much difference between purchasing a new license and for someone who's been using vB since the 2.x days (yeah I almost forgot the 35 bocks)


    I will wait and see 285 or even 250 is not a small amount on top of the original license and yearly renwal for many years !!!!!

    PS. Not to mention if mess with IE6/IE7 and RTL issues that weren't weeded out before Gold release


    LaTeRz
    To be or not to be... Where the hell is the question????
    My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too

    Live vBulletin 4.2.0 Multilingual * Alpha/Beta vB 4 - vB 5 Tier 1A
    CentOS 6.2 - Apache:2.2.15(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.3 - MySQL:5.1.61
    Xampp/Win-XP - Apache v2.2.21(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.8 - MySQL:5.5.16


  • #2
    Funny,, no reply hmmmmm

    Anyway, I will most likely get a new license so I can have two sites running if I choose pending the looks of the next upgrade(s)
    To be or not to be... Where the hell is the question????
    My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you're ugly too

    Live vBulletin 4.2.0 Multilingual * Alpha/Beta vB 4 - vB 5 Tier 1A
    CentOS 6.2 - Apache:2.2.15(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.3 - MySQL:5.1.61
    Xampp/Win-XP - Apache v2.2.21(Apache2Handler) - PHP:5.3.8 - MySQL:5.5.16

    Comment


    • #3
      It's around 6 a.m. in California. Their work day didn't start yet.

      P.S. If you wanna get an answer from vBulletin staff, support ticket is the best way to go.
      Last edited by kyrgyz; Fri 8th Jan '10, 5:17am.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yeah I am in the same position. I have an owned license yet it pointless purchasing the upgrade when I can get a brand new license for a small amount of extra money.

        It's a marketing tactic, it's to get you to buy another license for a higher price. If thousands or millions of people thought this, they'd have a much larger profit out of the extra money they make. I just wish the renewal prices were back for all people with owned license(s).

        I guess they are a business... and they have lost any future business from me.
        Armored Vehicles . My Blog . Obama 2012 .

        Comment


        • #5
          Well guys you are not the only ones with this issue there is literary thousands of us, and what vbulletin owners/staff do? Ignore us and the fact that we OWN the licenses and deserve a renewal option much cheaper than what they are offering
          WebDevPlace - Your connection with web developers
          Ayuda de vBulletin en Espaņol

          Comment


          • #6
            It seems like a valid point. I'm sure if you contact vbulletin directly, they would maybe give you a price discount for the upgrade.

            Comment


            • #7
              Now, why would I renew and not just go ahead with a new lincese?
              yeah there is 35 dollars discount.. not a big deal compared to having another license !!!
              I can stick with 3.8 and able to download security patchs AND
              with a new license I get 4.0

              Convence me otherwise please...

              My point is that theres not really much difference between purchasing a new license and for someone who's been using vB since the 2.x days (yeah I almost forgot the 35 bocks)
              You have a good point - it's attractive to have two licenses instead of one with the price so similar.

              But if you're looking for people to talk you out of it: .) you'll have to realize the value of the existing 3.8 license before it's end of life; 2.) I think you can only sell the 3.8 license while it's current or 3 months from current maybe, so you might end up with an "extra" license later that you can't sell; 3.) if having the extra "almost free given the tiny price difference" license is a catalyst to start a project that really doesn't return enough to justify the cost of the license in and of itself, at some point you'll probably end up with the costs to pay for upgrades and be back to this very issue... Probably many people simply don't have the time and energy to make use of having a second license during the overlap while 3.8 is still supported and great, and 4.0 is new. I definitely had the same debate myself when renewing.
              Boat Design & Boat Building Forums

              Comment


              • #8
                i went with the presale upgrade option just because i was not sure if it would be worth the cost after 4.0 went gold.


                seeing the issues poping up i am glad i trusted my gut feeling on this. i even thought of going to IPB but the cost for everything there was more costley than vB and seeing vB hadent broken my trust like IPB had i stayed here instead of going back to IPB.

                Comment

                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X