The 4.0 Suite and Shared Hosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 4.0 Suite and Shared Hosting

Some issues have been raised here concerning the cms and shared hosting while it is still in it's buggy condition can people elaborate on this with regards to CPU usage etc. I am going with a cheap 7 bucks a month shared hosting plan with dedicated ip for my suite when i purchase it which i have now put back until 4.2 at the end of january hopefully.

90% chances a shared hosting will be overwhelmed by the resource intensive version of the Suite right now... a cheap 7 bucks hosting is not even suggested anyway, because once your site become popular, they will "suggest" you to move to a more costly account, no matter you save resources...
    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

On the assumption my site becomes popular of course you are correct there but i am not in the position to waste money on dedicated hosting from the off anyway. Of course i also have no idea how much traffic i will be able to get away with under a cheap 6-10 bucks a month hosting either but i have to take the chance it will suffice for sometime to come. I hope by 4.2 a lot of issues will have been resolved so i can purchase.

Comment

I am a beginner here, so please try to be patient. I would like to have a Fitness/body building discussion forum. I have used V-bulletin as a "member" of certain sites and I love the ease of use.

Here is the question: Can I simply have my v-bulletin 4.0 "hosted" stand alone? Or, do you first need a website to add V Bullentin too?

Comment

You can have the forum as your main site stand alone of course just upload and install on the server sort the file permissions and stuff and your off hopefully!

Comment

Originally posted by Shotglass View Post
            Some issues have been raised here concerning the cms and shared hosting while it is still in it's buggy condition can people elaborate on this with regards to CPU usage etc. I am going with a cheap 7 bucks a month shared hosting plan with dedicated ip for my suite when i purchase it which i have now put back until 4.2 at the end of january hopefully.
            Here is a response from vB Team:
            Originally posted by IBxAnders View Post
            3) I read about the db queries... i'm using a shared hosting plan. Is it true that vBCMS suite and shared hosting are not compatible???

No, this is not true. If your vBulletin forum is currently running perfectly fine on your "shared" environment, vB4 will be fine there as well.

Comment

Yes i am not convinced somehow some people here obviously know what they are talking about but i am not proficient on the subject to make a validation either way. The answer is i will wait a bit longer to purchase and see what others can contribute to the subject on here as well.

Comment

My forum used to be on a shared host. (v3.x)

It had to be moved to a dedicated host within 12 months due to performance problems.

This is not a new problem, nor is it a vB problem. My hosting company could not control the usage of the other sites sharing the server, your site might not even get that busy, but if the other sites sharing the server hammer it, yours will fail. If each of the other sites stay within their TOS, then the hosting co. will be able to do nothing, except chant the mantra "That's the problem with shared hosting"

Comment

My site is hosted by BlueHost.
                  Granted I don't have a lot of users (150 or so)... But it is running just fine without any issues.
                  Ofcourse it is not so much the code or CMS that is the issue.

Too many varibles can contribute to shared hosting woes. For example:
                  Do you have other things running under your account?
                  Are you running any FlashChat or Chatting plugins?
                  How many users do you have?
                  Is your site posting a lot of attachments/movies?
                  Is your site being hit from others via RSS or shared content?

Lots can contribute to problems with shared hosting. My host has assisted me - when neccessary - to track down some of my more chatty applications.

Comment

Probably will depend on the hosting provider the quality of service i get from a shared package i was going to sign up with Webair as they are well established and accomodate all tastes. Some of these dedicated packages are very expensive for me. Of course the other option is to buy a server and host the site myself but then i am responsible for any techinical problems that occur. I knew somebody who ran a site who even used their own pc but it broke down more than a couple times.
                    Last edited by Shotglass; Sat 2 Jan '10, 3:03am.

Comment

Unless your site is growing insanely fast, jumping from shared hosting to a dedicated server is a bit too much. Try first VPS. It won't be as expensive either.

Comment

For a small vB site just starting out, shared hosting is perfectly fine. From there you can decide if you need more (VPS) or a dedicated server as your site expands.

Comment

Originally posted by Shotglass View Post
                          You can have the forum as your main site stand alone of course just upload and install on the server sort the file permissions and stuff and your off hopefully!
                          Ok, Thanks. The site Outlaw Muscle seems to work that way.

Im not sure what "file permissions" are? What is this in laymans terms?

Does it mean who can do what? As in what "I" can do as the administrator, and what "guests" can do? Or is it something else all together?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by ZippySLC View Post
                            For a small vB site just starting out, shared hosting is perfectly fine. From there you can decide if you need more (VPS) or a dedicated server as your site expands.
                            I want the vb suite not just the forum so i may very well find that shared is not sufficient enough i will have to ask the hosting providers before i sign up to any plan. I really cannot afford vps either presently.

Comment

Originally posted by paulscott View Post
                              Ok, Thanks. The site Outlaw Muscle seems to work that way.

Im not sure what "file permissions" are? What is this in laymans terms?

Does it mean who can do what? As in what "I" can do as the administrator, and what "guests" can do? Or is it something else all together?

Thanks.
                              File permissions are part of the installation process you should get a set of stages with instructions that need completion prior to proper installation on the server. Have you thought about using a free online hosted forum you just link to your domain?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X