Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brandondrury
    replied
    My main reason is that I am tired of running multiple kinds of forum/blogs/wiki/cms software that don't play nice or integrate well with each other.
    Yeah, that sums it up for me, too.

VB CMS is years behind WP in term of features and available plugins.
    I hear people say that often, but when I think about it, all I really need is a seo friendly, fully intergrated (with my vb forum) method to paste in some text and maybe an image. While Wordpress is fine, getting it to seamlessly integrate with vbulletin is a pain that I've never wanted to fully deal with. I'm confident I can get what I want better through vBulletin.

Brandon

Leave a comment:

• Photics
    replied
    Ha... I just made the switch from WordPress MU to vBulletin. One system for forums, blogs and content management was just too huge. I struggled with vBulletin, but then I started to like it... A LOT. I had to manually move six years worth of content. Heh, I'm still not completely done. You can see it here...

http://guildwars.us

SEO is a concern and I'm not liking how vBulletin needs numbers in the URL. There are some oddities too, as WordPress feels more elegant to me. Yet, I'm getting the work done. I have one system. I don't have to worry about any wacky plug-ins or bridges or database sharing... it's just one system. And overall, it seems that my visitors are happy with the new system.

Leave a comment:

• stormblast-
    replied
    Regarding that topic I'm still wondering if there will be a good Wordpress Importer for the CMS.
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...from-Wordpress

Leave a comment:

• quantnet
    replied
    Originally posted by LD1 View Post
    beautiful. who designed it?
    We are half way done but I would have to say that Wordpress allows us to do things not possible right now with VB4 CMS and in the near future. We use the integration bridge so it's not 100% perfect but it works for the purpose.

Take a look at http://www.quantnet.com

Leave a comment:

• spiderweb
    replied
    Originally posted by StevenTN View Post
    I've been playing with the CMS... and I must be the only one who sees the benefit in the CMS and likes what it has to offer. It really does everything we need to do. My beef with it, though, is that it's still buggy, and shouldn't have been rushed out of Beta.

And right now, we're using the Wordpress Integration mod found over at vBulletin.org, and it's worked great for us.
    I agree. However I'm glad VB did push the cms through quickly to gold. Don't forget its still really beta software but as gold they will support the product.

Leave a comment:

• LD1
    replied
    Originally posted by quantnet View Post
    We've been using VBAdvanced for a couple of years as our CMS but it is changing shortly.
    We are going to use Wordpress as our CMS and vb 3.8.4 for the forum site even though we bought the vb 4 suite. Our site is highly customized with many custom code. We probably will not use vb 4 for a long while and the VB CMS is years behind WP in term of features and available plugins.
    Integration is the only major issue but there is a mod over in vb.org that does a decent job.

If anyone is interested, here is a mock up of our site using WP
    http://www.quantnet.com/quantnet_preview.jpg

Forum
    http://www.quantnet.com/preview_quantnet_forum.jpg

beautiful. who designed it?

Leave a comment:

• vivamexico55
    replied
    The best selling point of vbulletin right now is the integration, and maybe the permissions system (which I believe to be slightly buggy or at least annoying to use, but the potential is there). In most other aspects, based on a few weeks of using the CMS, I think Wordpress is much more advanced (ease of publishing and categorization, no outstanding bugs, interface, etc). They're both good options, but if you already have a forum I'd go with vbulletin.

In short, you're trading one headache for another (integration pains vs a buggy cms) , but I believe in the long run, these problems in the CMS will be worked out and it will pay off to have stuck with vbulletin. I hope =P

Leave a comment:

• AlexanderT
    replied
    Originally posted by locachica View Post
    vbSEO is a must even with vb4? (searching more on vbseo right now too)
    It isn't. Unless you want your URLs to look in a certain way that vb4 doesn't offer in-stock.

Leave a comment:

• jtech77
    replied
    Originally posted by Al Zander View Post
    I really wouldn't go past that issue for now. Not unless you already have a healthy network of links through blogs/__spaces/__books, which to fall back on. Starting out (with vB), I have to say vBSEO is practically a must.
    vbSEO is a must even with vb4? (searching more on vbseo right now too)

Leave a comment:

• AlexanderT
    replied
    I didn't want to use Wordpress until now for the following reasons:

- two products = twice the work in applying security patches and upgrades
    - Wordpress, being the most popular blogging software, is a favorite target for hacking attempts
    - vB-Wordpress integration isn't as optimal in terms of database/query usage as a built-in vB solution

So I waited patiently for vB 4.0. Given my personal disappointment at where things currently stand with the CMS, and my inability to see any good to come in near future, I decided to make the switch. Wordpress will be my frontpage system.

Leave a comment:

• Bounce
    replied
    Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
    I would stick with wordpress
    it's much better in terms of SEO
    the CMS has a lot of work that needs done before I would consider moving from CMS from a wordpress install, to the vbcms
    ditto

Leave a comment:

• Al Zander
    replied
    Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra View Post
    The other issue, is, unless you are using vbseo...
    I really wouldn't go past that issue for now. Not unless you already have a healthy network of links through blogs/__spaces/__books, which to fall back on. Starting out (with vB), I have to say vBSEO is practically a must.

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    SamsomEA,

While I am by no means an SEO expert, the CMS and vb4 in general have a ton of style issues. I think others have mentioned that vb4 has a lot of unnecessary div tags and, again, while I am not an seo expert, I think this does play a role.

The other issue, is, unless you are using vbseo, all of the files must be in the same folder to work. ie: root for you. Not sure how that works out with /forum/showthread... urls perssonally but its something fo ryou to check into.

Leave a comment:

• SamsonEA
    replied
    Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
    I would stick with wordpress
    it's much better in terms of SEO
    the CMS has a lot of work that needs done before I would consider moving from CMS from a wordpress install, to the vbcms
    Hi there, could you explain that a little bit more? I'm currently running wordpress for the main site and vb for the forums, and I'm using the bridge. I haven't updated to vb4 because the bridge hasn't been updated (yet). Now I bought the vb cms and I'm in the process of changing the whole site over from wordpress to the vbcms and forums.

I'm doing quite well in the search engines with wordpress right now. What would I have to worry about if I'm switching over to the vb cms?

In terms of SEO, why would the new vb cms not be as good?

Thanks in advance, this information is very important to me right now!

Leave a comment:

• alaska_av8r
    replied
    thank you for explaining that.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X