Forum size limitation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum size limitation?

I was talking to a friend who had some experience with an older version of vBulletin, and he said that when he was using vbulletin there was a limitation of about 40k users before the software would "start to buckle." Does anyone know roughly how big a site using vBulletin now can get before it experiences major slowdown and other problems?

Ive got 40,000 + and have no problems at all

Comment

Originally posted by ampersand View Post
      Ive got 40,000 + and have no problems at all
      Good to hear! The version I hear mentioned was back in the 2.something series of vBulletin, but I had to ask anyways.

Comment

vBulletin Community Forum Statistics
        Threads 321,296
        Posts 1,842,409
        Members 236,113
        Active Members 8,963

Do you experience any major slowdown or noticeable problem in this forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbird2005 View Post
          Threads 321,296
          Posts 1,842,409
          Members 236,113
          Active Members 8,963

Very VERY good point.

Comment

back then it could also have been poor server specs.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbird2005 View Post
              Threads 321,296
              Posts 1,842,409
              Members 236,113
              Active Members 8,963

How many servers power this board? Will the OP's board have the same number and specs?

MySQL database type is what is prone to table lock up on a busy board with high post stats, regardless of the forum software type. PostgreSQL handles those busier boards better, avoiding lock ups.

The forum software on vB hasn't changed significantly, so the above applies in this version as it would in past. What has changed is the addition of the CMS, which currently puts out an excessive amount of queries for every page rendered. This could be a show stopper for many busy sites, putting a strain on the server long before the database began complaining about the old issues.

Comment

I kind of would like to know how many servers power this board as well. Sure I won't have to worry about such site population problems for years (if I am lucky!), but comparison is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Webbstre View Post
                  I kind of would like to know how many servers power this board as well. Sure I won't have to worry about such site population problems for years (if I am lucky!), but comparison is good.
                  Just think about it: From 8963 members of the site, you can guess there are people who consider moving to vBulletin (not much at same time), users of vbulletin (either with active or inactive licences). We might represent about 3000-8000 customers and most of us maintain multiple installations.

I think we aren't distributed evenly around the globe, and we start to work (and update our installs) mostly at same time when we do it. And in our downloads most of the files have identifiers included and the package is compressed.

As you can guess: The infrastructure they use has to handle that kind of work, which is a bit different from day to day operation of vbulletin.com.
                  EnerlaNET / Elven Library forums (Roleplaying games, Gaming, irc, Cartography) - Owner / Admin
                  Cartographer's Corner blog (Maps, Cartography Tutorial, Campaign Cartographer related advice) - Author

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X