How does purchasing vBulletin work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does purchasing vBulletin work?

I know that you have to purchase a license. Is this a one time charge? How long does this license last?

Originally posted by Paladin92 View Post
    I know that you have to purchase a license. Is this a one time charge? How long does this license last?
    Yes it is a one time charge and it is for a life time
    Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
    Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

License lasts for life of vB 4 so not for vB 5. Note, vB 5 is expected within 24 months away.
      Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
      VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
      vBulletin Hosting and Services
      Server / Website Consultation

Comment

So if I buy I will have a license for that version for a lifetime but if I want to upgrade I have to pay an additional 100 something dollars when the next version comes out?

Comment

For the Suite, the upgrade price is currently almost the same as full price - $250 vs $280.
          Tormod Guldvog
          Hypography - Science for everyone // Science Forums

Comment

So if I buy I will have a license for that version for a lifetime but if I want to upgrade I have to pay an additional 100 something dollars when the next version comes out?
            there is no telling what the price will be when vB5 comes out. and that 24 month thing was never made official by anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Anime View Post
              there is no telling what the price will be when vB5 comes out. and that 24 month thing was never made official by anyone
              So there will be an additional charge to get a license for the next version?

Comment

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson View Post
                Yes it is a one time charge and it is for a life time
                Small amendment to the above statement as there is some misinformation. It all depends on what license you buy.

All licenses permit you to run vBulletin 4 for life. All licenses also offer unlimited updates for the duration of the lifecycle of vBulletin 4. If and when vBulletin 5 comes out, and you decide you want vBulletin 5, you need to buy a new vBulletin 5 license.

There are also subtle differences between each license. If you buy the vBulletin 4 license only, it gives you 30 days of ticket support. Afterwards, you need to buy a support contract. In contrast, if you bought the vBulletin 4 Publishing Suite, you receive unlimited ticket support with, at least to my understanding, support till the EOL
                ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                  If and when vBulletin 5 comes out, and you decide you want vBulletin 5, you need to buy a new vBulletin 5 license.
                  Do they offer any kind of discount for people who have a previous license?

Comment

Do they offer any kind of discount for people who have a previous license?
                    Technically yes and no. They did offer a discount per-se to those who held older vBulletin 3 licenses, however when you did the math, we in reality paid more for a license. It was far more worthwhile to buy a brand new license altogether this past round than to upgrade.
                    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Technically yes and no. They did offer a discount per-se to those who held older vBulletin 3 licenses, however when you did the math, we in reality paid more for a license. It was far more worthwhile to buy a brand new license altogether this past round than to upgrade.
                      Well thats not cool. hopefully they wise up and next go around they give a good discount like maybe 25-50% off but i doubt they will since they are a business and all they want is your money

Comment

Well thats not cool. hopefully they wise up and next go around they give a good discount like maybe 25-50% off but i doubt they will since they are a business and all they want is your money

i jumped on the 4.0 presale bandwagon a month after renewing my 3.x.x download access so in all i got the suite for 170.00 40.00 to renew the DL access and 130.00 for the presales event. all in all i saved a ton of money (and i didnt even switch to geico) by going that route.

if they dont offer anything new and exiting that knocks my socks off when 5.0 comes out i will stick with 4.0 till i no longer wish to run my website.

Comment

Small amendment to the above statement as there is some misinformation. It all depends on what license you buy.

All licenses permit you to run vBulletin 4 for life. All licenses also offer unlimited updates for the duration of the lifecycle of vBulletin 4. If and when vBulletin 5 comes out, and you decide you want vBulletin 5, you need to buy a new vBulletin 5 license.

There are also subtle differences between each license. If you buy the vBulletin 4 license only, it gives you 30 days of ticket support. Afterwards, you need to buy a support contract. In contrast, if you bought the vBulletin 4 Publishing Suite, you receive unlimited ticket support with, at least to my understanding, support till the EOL

thanks for that, learned so much abou vbulletin from this post alone

Comment

Can you still use your "Owned" 3.8.4 licence and run a seperate forum if you have now purchased a 4.0 licence then?

Comment

Originally posted by globecodds View Post
                              Can you still use your "Owned" 3.8.4 licence and run a seperate forum if you have now purchased a 4.0 licence then?
                              If it is two independent and separate licenses, then yes.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X