Moving from SMF to VB 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving from SMF to VB 4.0

Just a quick question looking to move to the new VB 4.0 is it easy enough to move data base to the new software? and are there any theme sites for 4.0 just yet?

Regards,
    Paul

Out of curiosity, what are your reasons for moving from SMF to VB 4?

Thanks,
    JM
    Hmmm. Cheese.

Comment

I want to move over to VB better software better support better seo and all round more advanced!

How come you ask?

Comment

Originally posted by InsomniacP View Post
        I want to move over to VB better software better support better seo and all round more advanced!

How come you ask?
        Better support: When you buy it with a language supported and they drop the support for it while you still have an active upgreade subsribtion, and don't care how much money you lose because of this, because they simply don't care about the customer? Before that and changes to their company structure, etc. they had that but I have my doubts now.

Better SEO: Not sure how good it is (without 3rd party tools) but if all your URLs would change now, and when they fix some problems and remove some limitations they will change again, that might be a small problem, so it might make some people wait.

all round more advanced: It is feature rich, have some features that can save time and money (too bad you can lose more time and money with the mentioned problems) but I wouldn't call it "all round more advanced". (Btw: do you use SMF2.0 for comparision?)
        EnerlaNET / Elven Library forums (Roleplaying games, Gaming, irc, Cartography) - Owner / Admin
        Cartographer's Corner blog (Maps, Cartography Tutorial, Campaign Cartographer related advice) - Author

Comment

No i'm currently running SMF 1.1.11 so are you sugesting here on the official VB site i should think twice about the the change over?

Comment

I moved from SMF to vB3 on one of my boards. Everything was smooth except for passwords. Everyone had to do a password recovery.

vB4 isn't too bad, haven't tried the blog. The CMS is one of the most horrible paid products I have ever bought.

vB4 is vB3 with tons of unfinished features, a new skin and a few plugins put in. It's nothing near where it should be.

I would look at other board solutions.
            Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

Really, well i'm very disappointed... I have been building up to using VB for some time, and now i am at a stage where i can purchase the software the feed back here on the official site is quite negative? this is very concerning!

Comment

Yes, I am suggesting that. And not only that.

When you make a such decision it is a long term one, and the total costs of using a product can be far more than the price you pay for the licence.

Themes, translations, integration work, etc. are all expensive, and their costs can depend on the products you use.

Would you want to spend this amount, show long term commitment, without considering your other options, without knowing what to expect from the product in the future?

When vBulletin 3.0 was released it was simply the best affordable solution if you wanted forum software, had many unique features and jelsoft knew what is important in a forum, its lack of support for plugins was the only major drawback, but that wasn't so common forum software and we seen it as clearly superior to other products. At that time, for an affordable and reliable solution PHP and MySQL was desired, since anything else would cost a fortune to maintain. And jelsoft knew forums well.

Right now with vBulletin we see a lot of new things: Blogs, CMS, etc. but in almost all cases, we would rather want a separate (better) products and better integration.

And with time other forum software catched up. And vBulletin losts its edge.

With vBulletin 3.0 I realy loved WYSIWYG editor, since it made posting formated text easier, and made copy + paste work well (from various documents), I loved how users can be promoted and demoted, and how some groups post to moderation queue (time saver), etc.

With vBulletin 4.0 we have weak blogs, weak CMS, etc... but no easy way to integrate vBulletin with other software, no OpenID... Existing features like WYSIWYG don't support some new (or old) browsers and with this your board might have a hard time to adapt to changes in the market. And I don't see a realy strong selling point for vBulletin 4 now.

You can see how people wanted to have forum, web page, and blogs on separate subdomains, got no support since it requires 3rd party addons, and how it was found out that the code isn't that flexible (which can limit what we get in future), since with current rewrite we don't get much flexibility...

With release of blogs, etc. they run into problems, yet flexibility wasn't a priority, and they haven't thought about their options.

It might be the right choice for you (if you want some of its features, want to stay with PHP and MySQL and waiting for SMF 2.0 Gold and request features / mods isn't your favorite option) or you might want to pick another free or commercial solution.
                EnerlaNET / Elven Library forums (Roleplaying games, Gaming, irc, Cartography) - Owner / Admin
                Cartographer's Corner blog (Maps, Cartography Tutorial, Campaign Cartographer related advice) - Author

Comment

Really, well i'm very disappointed... I have been building up to using VB for some time, and now i am at a stage where i can purchase the software the feed back here on the official site is quite negative? this is very concerning!
                  The truth is vBulletin was the best. vB3 was an awesome product for it's time. Then InternetBrands came out and bought Jelsoft and took over development and turned it into a money hog. They pushed the gold release before it was stable and productive to meet deadlines, stockholder or otherwise.

The product is severely unfinished with 2 years of delays. The CMS is no where near what it should be, and the blogs while nice for some people don't offer nearly the features they should. I would rather wait for a Wordpress bridge to come out on vBulletin.org

the vBulletin Suite is vB3 with the blogs from vB3 thrown in and a horrible CMS added to it. Time will tell if vBulletin will still be the leader. At this point I sold one of my sites, and sold one of my vBulletin licenses. I am trying other solutions as I am voting with my dollar. When vBulletin 5 is released, (Probably within a year or so to maximize dollars) is when I will decide if I will jump ship completely with vBulletin. So far their practices and software have made me want to steer away from the brand all together.
                  Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

Thank you for your reviews and helpfull advice, and i should listen to what your saying and yes your right other forum software has cought up a long way now, I remember a few years back when i was running my forum on zetaboards they lacked some of the options VB had and i always and eventually wanted to move to VB but could never afford it, though just checked out the ratings for forum software here http://www.forum-software.org/ and they are now running a very close second..

I co run my site with a buddy and we will have to consider what you guy's are all saying here, and to be honest i can't beleve that none of the jelsoft staff haven't even attempted to back there corner thats not good!

Paul

Comment

what is smf?

Comment

One more thing to add..

In some cases the costs of upgrading, migrating can cost a lot of money.

I seen that buying the upgrade would cost about $250
                        Translation on hungarian sites: at least $3000 total costs, perhaps much more (you pay for work hours)
                        Redoing all integration work, etc... varies (Again: wage of developers, the resources they use, etc) can be little, can be a lot.
                        Theme: Depends...
                        Your work hours invested into relearning things... varies...

$250 or $280 is affordable for the full suite.
                        Total costs of upgrade / migration? More expensive. And this is the reason why I said: consider your needs and options carefully.

And while vBulletin can be better than SMF, you can't be sure that all of your users will like it and stay active.

You spend a lot of time and money on your forum, if you want to get the best results from it, you should choose the best tools, and try to evaluate your options for this reason as well.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X