Questions before I buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions before I buy

Hi all, my site will be kind of unusual so I need to ask a few questions about vB's capabilities:

1. I need to let users create their own sub-forums without going through admin panel. This means I have to create an interface that will run a script to create a forum based on user input. How easy is it for vB to do this? (If you can please show a sample function call which creates a foruml to illustrate that'd be great).

2. Instead of manually setting the order of forums on the front page, can I have the forums be sorted by activity (e.g. # of threads or total posts in a forum)? How can this be achieved?

3. This is a question of scalability: Hypothetically if users created lots of forums, approx. how much disk space/ram/cpu would 10,000 sub-forums take up?

Thanks a lot!

too many subforums will drive people away.

having the forums listed by activety will make things even more confusing if (FOR EXAMPLE) you have forums called "Fishing" "Cars" "houses"

and one visit its in "cars" "houses" "fishing" then the next visit its "fishing" "houses" and "cars" well you get the idea

there is the MCP you MIGHT be able to make mods able to create forums.

letting every tom richard and harry be able to create their own sub forum or catagory will cause mass problems the likes have never been seen.

Comment

I know the custom functionalities that I'm looking for sound strange, but I have good reason for them. But in any case, are they possible? and how? Thanks.

Comment

1 & 2 would require modifications. It's best to ask at http://vBulletin.org for those. Number 3 has quite a lot of factors, it's difficult to say.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X