X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zomega
    replied
    Originally posted by JamieinNH View Post
    So tell me, do you run an active community running VB?
    I think it's funny that you are posing this question to this fellow when the site in your signature only has 18 active members. Your spouting off things like weak arguments and trying to make it seem like he doesn't run an active community. But in fact you don't run much of an active community either.

Oh the tangled webs we weave.

Leave a comment:

• BoYagoob
    replied
    First Question: How can I let/force my IE6 members to upgrade to IE8?

Second Question: How can I let/force ALL IE6 visitors to upgrade to IE8?

Impossible! .. So, sorry vB, I cannot upgrade my forum to 4.0!

Waiting for 5.0!!

Leave a comment:

• t325
    replied
    IE6 is never going to go away if web developers keep jumping through hoops to support IE6. At some point, web developers just have to say enough is enough and not bother with IE6. IE7 has been out for more than 3 years. It's time people with IE6 upgrade, and maybe when more and more of the websites they visit don't work, they'll finally be encouraged to upgrade, or better yet, switch to Firefox, Chrome or another, better browser.

Leave a comment:

• zomega
    replied
    Personally I don't care. If members can't do me the favor of upgrading their browser(which is free by the way), than I'm not losing sleep if they can't view my site properly. They could upgrade to the latest version of IE, mozilla firefox, opera, chrome, or a myriad of others completely for free.

Leave a comment:

• 0ptima
    replied
    Please post what percentage of users still use IE6 in this thread
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...-still-use-IE6

Leave a comment:

• Qryztufre
    replied
    I for one am not willing to push off 10% of my userbase (well, 9.53%) and I'm sure that 10% of the people that buy vB are not willing to either.

Sadly, I have already paid for an upgrade...but with the other issues, I may look into the options of selling...it's too bad I didn't know I'd have to do this before, I could have saved myself more money then this new version is worth.

Leave a comment:

• JamieinNH
    replied
    Originally posted by schwab2clarkson View Post
    If that happens then don't use those features.
    Nothing is perfect in this world.
    That's why we upgrade to the latest stable version of things.
    Upgrade your browser or don't use it. Use a different browser.
    Once you see little red x's everywhere in IE6 you have no choice but to upgrade your browser.
    Do you run a community running VB? Just curious because it seems it's always easy to tell me to have their users to upgrade when one, they don't run a community themselves, or their community is so small it doesn't matter.

The Geek has brought up very valid points and several of these threads and as of yet the VB Team has yet to weigh in. It's not a simple matter of people upgrading, it's the simple fact that some in the VB Team think it's ok to blow off 10% of our users.

I wonder how many people would be saying.. ah, just upgrade if Microsoft's next OS didn't run any of their current programs and you have to buy the latest OS to run Office again....

Weak arguments won't fix this problem and until the VB Team chimes in and tells us what they were thinking and why they did it the way they did, they should be held responsible for this mess.

So tell me, do you run an active community running VB?

Leave a comment:

• PharaohsVizier
    replied
    I didn't even realize this was a concern, I would have thought this was a duh sort of thing for the vB team...

Leave a comment:

• 0ptima
    replied
    Originally posted by mlb View Post
    I just checked my site traffic monitor, and exactly 9.6% of my users are hitting my site with IE6. I absolutely cannot afford to risk losing 10% of my traffic - so this is yet another reason in my mind to delay upgrading to vB 4.0.
    I just checked the stats for two of my forums. On one of the forums, 11% still use IE6, while on the other one, 12% still use IE6.

Leave a comment:

• mlb
    replied
    I just checked my site traffic monitor, and exactly 9.6% of my users are hitting my site with IE6. I absolutely cannot afford to risk losing 10% of my traffic - so this is yet another reason in my mind to delay upgrading to vB 4.0.

My forum is just one section of my site - the rest of it is HTML and javascript that I create using Dreamweaver CS4. And I check/validate all of my pages with IE8, IE7, IE6, Chrome, FireFox, and Safari. It's not that hard to support IE6 - and as long as large numbers of people are still using it, we as webmasters should support it, until it disappears on its own. I wouldn't want anyone telling me which browser (or version of browser) to use!

Leave a comment:

• Loony BoB
    replied
    I'll echo that. Luckily we've recently upgraded to IE7 at work (still one step behind the technology!) but this is certainly not good for webmasters. That's a solid 14,155,308 requests for IE6 users at our site in Dec 09 so far, and I don't think we'll be wanting to lose them. I do hope this is looked into sooner rather than later.

Leave a comment:

• aceofspades
    replied
    Unfortunatly thats not the way it works most of the time though. Most ie6 users arnt that clued up and the user wouldnt think the browser is the problem, and would instead think that the website was designed badly, which is a bit of a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Ophie
    replied
    If more web masters would shut out ie6 users, more will be forced to upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• man1c
    replied
    I've just checked google analytics and in the last 30 days I've had 224,674 visits from IE6 users, that's a lot of traffic/revenue to lose due to poor design.

I hope they can get all of these problems sorted when the real gold (4.02) comes out, othewise vb4 is a complete fail.

Leave a comment:

• Super Jinni
    replied
    Originally posted by vivamexico55 View Post
    if a competitor can do it, then I expect vbulletin to do it better, not worse =/
    It seems that they couldn't do it better, or at least, they didn't do it yet.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X