X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Anime
    replied
    Originally posted by Protoss View Post
    Where is the Microsoft announcement. Support for IE6 lasts until the end of life cycle for Windows XP SP 3. (2014??)
    What about people with PC's that are 3 or4 years old. I have a small system that is 7 years old and is perfect as a means to surf the net. It serves it's purpose.

i posted the IE6 EOL timetable

Leave a comment:

• bigwater
    replied
    IE6 was very extensible, which is why it was chosen by a lot of corporations as a wrapper around their internal applications. Before IE6 we had to depend on very expensive solutions such as Attachmate EXTRA to connect to corporate networks. This ran the costs of each individual workstation up by hundreds of dollars if you wanted to run the workstation in a windows environment as opposed to just using a green screen terminal straight into the mainframe. Millions of dollars were spent to port applications into the extensible IE6 so that the millions of dollars would be offset by not having to license applications like Attachmate any more. IE7 and IE8 do not have the extensibility to mainframes and minis that IE6 had, so upgrading is simply not a possibility for most corporations without MAJOR rewrites to their software. Mayby IE9 will re-introduce this extensiblility. Who knows. But for now, many corporate networks have no choice but to run IE6.

Leave a comment:

• Protoss
    replied
    Originally posted by schwab2clarkson View Post
    Funny because nearly all windows based pcs have the latest version of everything.
    Get with the times buddy.
    Where is the Microsoft announcement. Support for IE6 lasts until the end of life cycle for Windows XP SP 3. (2014??)
    What about people with PC's that are 3 or4 years old. I have a small system that is 7 years old and is perfect as a means to surf the net. It serves it's purpose.

Leave a comment:

• smooth-c
    replied
    I said I "understand" not "do not understand", sorry it was the way I wrote it - like there's got to be reasons as to why they do not upgrade, safety etc. with IE6 being soo featureless (I might be wrong but that's what i'm assuming. I just don't get why individuals don't upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Originally posted by smooth-c View Post
    Thing is (this has probably already been said) - I understand companies that don't upgrade, I mean - there must be some logical reasons? I don't know. I'm sure someone will be able to/has said why. Individual users.. why? why haven't they upgraded? That's the bit that doesn't make sense for me.
    Read up . Several of us left comments to why corporations and healthcare do not upgrade

Leave a comment:

• the geek
    replied
    Originally posted by Mike Anime View Post
    there are others that are just as bad as her so why not ban them aswell.

but yea time to close this already
    I agree on both counts!

In closing I'll just say that I hope the IE6 issue can be resolved by IB without the need to leave it to a 3rd party skinner.
    On a similar vein, found out today vB wasn't the only browser with rounded corners in FF but not IE: IPB's the same however much less noticeable as the radius is far more subtle.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Anime
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    I agree. It's another of those threads we used to get in Licensed Customer Feedback, where schwab2clarkson simply insults anyone who disagrees with her skewed and unrealistic perspective.

it only stopped in that forum when she was banned from it.

I therefore concur that this has outlived its usefulness.
    there are others that are just as bad as her so why not ban them aswell.

but yea time to close this already

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    I agree. It's another of those threads we used to get in Licensed Customer Feedback, where schwab2clarkson simply insults anyone who disagrees with her skewed and unrealistic perspective.

it only stopped in that forum when she was banned from it.

I therefore concur that this has outlived its usefulness.

Leave a comment:

• aceofspades
    replied
    Can a mod close this please?

As much as I want VB to be more compatible with older browsers I cant see this topic doing any good.

Leave a comment:

• Al Zander
    replied
    please DNFTT

Leave a comment:

• Webbstre
    replied
    Originally posted by schwab2clarkson View Post
    You will have to nag your IT guys to upgrade the browsers. I know they probably will think and tell you all the excuses possible but you would think that they would be the leaders in modern technology then why not take the same attitude in with them and upgrade.
    I know it's hard to understand, but there is a serious cultural difference in the way things are run in different countries. In the place I am now there are no IT guys who make decisions, it's literally a board of almost-retired teachers who know nothing about technology who make the decisions for what "needs" to be done. What essentially happens is that vital security problems are ignored until all the computers using said software literally break down to the point where new computers MUST be bought, at which point the new computers finally have the semi-current browser. And this is in a pretty well-developed and advanced country, while a significant fraction of my target audience will be in places that are even further behind.

Again, this is just my personal problem, and the answer I have is to end up paying someone to make an IE6-compatible alternative theme, but I don't think it would be that difficult to incorporate that kind of option into the basic package as a "just in case" measure.

And just to go off topic a little bit: I've seen where upgrading from IE6 to a higher browser will result in food donations to people living in poverty around the world. So yes, staying with IE6 is LITERALLY causing children to starve, and yet people still don't do it.

Leave a comment:

• beishe8
    replied
    Originally posted by smooth-c View Post
    I mean - there must be some logical reasons? I don't know. I'm sure someone will be able to/has said why.
    Yes,there is a logical reason,has been explained in this thread repeatedly.

Leave a comment:

• carntheroos4eva
    replied
    Originally posted by Webbstre View Post
    Where I am in Japan right now, it is schools that are the problem. The bureaucracy for how to do things and who to approve and who to pay and whatnot means that nothing gets done except what isn't needed. I personally could safely upgrade every computer in the schools where I work and not worry, but no one would ever allow it. Since the website I am preparing is focused on people at schools internationally, I'm looking into whatever fixes I can for the people who can't help their situations.
    You will have to nag your IT guys to upgrade the browsers. I know they probably will think and tell you all the excuses possible but you would think that they would be the leaders in modern technology then why not take the same attitude in with them and upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• Neal-UK
    replied
    Originally posted by the geek View Post
    You don't believe in statistics? Im not arguing about MS's support for IE6 or which is the better browser. I am merely making the point that right now, as I type these very words, 11% of those people on my site are using IE6. More are using IE6 than Safari, Opera and Chrome. If I provide a broken looking site to them, do you think they will become members? Do you think they will hang around or do you think (like most do when coming across a site like that) "ewww, that site needs some attention. Must not be very good".

My question to you is: Why does it matter so much? Shouldn't you expect vBulletin "the king of forums" to be able to come up with a design that actually worked in all modern browsers? Why do I get a consistent experience regardless of the browser I am using (rounded corners and all) when I visit a free forum like phpBB? Why should I HAVE to care what my users are browsing with when I use vB but I don't using any other browser out there? Why am I paying MORE and getting less? More importantly, why should it matter to you that I want IE6 support?
    Well said, wish i'd checked about IE6 issues before upgrading, my site has been a lot quieter since the upgrade and I do get most using IE6.

Leave a comment:

• Webbstre
    replied
    Where I am in Japan right now, it is schools that are the problem. The bureaucracy for how to do things and who to approve and who to pay and whatnot means that nothing gets done except what isn't needed. I personally could safely upgrade every computer in the schools where I work and not worry, but no one would ever allow it. Since the website I am preparing is focused on people at schools internationally, I'm looking into whatever fixes I can for the people who can't help their situations.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X