Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying an Upgrade for VB3 to VB4 ? thats expensive !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loco.M
    replied
    Originally posted by FreshFroot_ View Post
    because customer, who just found out about what went on are not happy about it?

Is it wrong for them to post their opinion? I don't see how that's wrong.
    To be fair, those same customers have had numerous emails since 2009 when vbulletin 4 came out..

The best bet for those customers now is waiting until vbulletin 5 is out if money is an issue.

Leave a comment:

• I, Brian
    replied
    Originally posted by x626xblack View Post
    I suppose the next time the maker of your car comes out with a new model you want 50% off of it?
    Are you by any chance planning to camp outside the VB offices when vb5 is released, so you can buy an entirely new version of the software you already paid for?

Leave a comment:

• Joe D.
    replied
    vBulletin 5 is being worked on but there has been no official announcement of a release date. A press release during "Forumcon" last month said it was expected to be released sometime "this year." Important to note- software often misses announce "release dates" that's why vBulletin never really sets a date because inevitably something will delay it.

We do know is that there is still a major release of vBulletin 4.x to come (4.3) and that 4.x will likely be supported for quite a while. I can't give any concrete information because nothing has been released yet on the details of VB5 pricing or dates.

Leave a comment:

• cdaniel
    replied
    Originally posted by BirdOPrey5 View Post
    Just to be clear, the $175 is one time for the life of vBulletin 4.x. If/when you want to upgrade to VB 5.x (not out yet) you will likely have to pay again.
    So they are working on v5? Any projections when it will be out? I'd hate to pay $175 and then have to pay again in short order. What is the usual life of a version based on the past?

Also, when I go to my customer area, I see it is not offering me $175, just $195.

In my current Forum, I have several ads in my customized version - are ads easier to install in v4?

Leave a comment:

• Joe D.
    replied
    Just to be clear, the $175 is one time for the life of vBulletin 4.x. If/when you want to upgrade to VB 5.x (not out yet) you will likely have to pay again.

Leave a comment:

• Riasat
    replied
    Originally posted by cdaniel View Post
    I know this is a very old thread, but I have a question. I was paying $35 a year for my license. I only need the Forum itself. Now I have to pay $175 to upgrade?

I paid every year, but did not update my software all the time because I have a highly customized look and it takes me about a week to recreate it and mostly I can't find a whole week to do that. Now I'm thinking of upgrading without doing customizing because it is such a hassle. I also have to pay someone to do the installs.

So, I have to pay $175 how often?
    Only once. There is no yearly renewal fees

Leave a comment:

• cdaniel
    replied
    I know this is a very old thread, but I have a question. I was paying $35 a year for my license. I only need the Forum itself. Now I have to pay $175 to upgrade?

I paid every year, but did not update my software all the time because I have a highly customized look and it takes me about a week to recreate it and mostly I can't find a whole week to do that. Now I'm thinking of upgrading without doing customizing because it is such a hassle. I also have to pay someone to do the installs.

So, I have to pay $175 how often?

Leave a comment:

• FreshFroot_
    replied
    Originally posted by schwab2clarkson View Post
    Oh boy not another thread like this.

Why stress over this? What's the problem?
    because customer, who just found out about what went on are not happy about it?

Is it wrong for them to post their opinion? I don't see how that's wrong.

Leave a comment:

• carntheroos4eva
    replied
    Oh boy not another thread like this.

Why stress over this? What's the problem?

Leave a comment:

• Scott
    replied
    nope.. once a year. And it gives you access to the latest IPB software too no matter what.
    Your incorrect.

It's $25.00 every six months for standard license $50.00 for a business license.

http://www.invisionpower.com/product...d/purchase.php

Happy New Year!

Leave a comment:

• Loco.M
    replied
    nope.. once a year. And it gives you access to the latest IPB software too no matter what.
    I'm pretty sure it's for 6 months, actually I'm positive it's per 6 months
    which still.. 25$
    I'll spend that much on a nice dinner for the misses and I

Leave a comment:

• AWS
    replied
    You already know that you'll pay full price again to upgrade to version 5. That was explained to use during all the heated debates about the new prices.

Leave a comment:

• MattyAsia
    replied
    Originally posted by EhsanAhmad View Post
    lets jsut look at the example of Windows 7 if you want to full ultiamte versiono f windows 7 costs $180 which is cheaper than a vb license and thats a whole computer OS not a single script, and for VB4 upgrade we have to pay $175 and that's not even a single bit odd to you ! and yes once you pay the support fee i would guess u get free updates for life but i am ok with them charging for upgrades and telephone support if they want to but i dont think telephone support and upgrades should be in one package !

so even by modern standards this product which i have been supporting and using for years is going out of the line and even if you want to stay 3.8x and just get the latest patch u cant even get that now what does that mean that they forcefully want all of us to ugprade ? why not give the latest patch of 3.8x to all users of 3X and then go on with upgrade to VB4 so if in the near future when users have money and feel like upgrading to VB4 they can do it !
    I'd have to agree with this latter part, a bit of a show of faith would be nice. I'm not worried just now, but I'm worried that when version 5 comes out I'll be screwed more.
    I have faith in the product, but I'm afraid I have little support in the ethics of the company after something I wont mention happened between me and them. But they do seem to be in it for every cent... Which to me makes me worry about what they will do later, which makes me less confident in buying more or future products.

Leave a comment:

• EhsanAhmad
    replied
    lets jsut look at the example of Windows 7 if you want to full ultiamte versiono f windows 7 costs $180 which is cheaper than a vb license and thats a whole computer OS not a single script, and for VB4 upgrade we have to pay $175 and that's not even a single bit odd to you ! and yes once you pay the support fee i would guess u get free updates for life but i am ok with them charging for upgrades and telephone support if they want to but i dont think telephone support and upgrades should be in one package !

so even by modern standards this product which i have been supporting and using for years is going out of the line and even if you want to stay 3.8x and just get the latest patch u cant even get that now what does that mean that they forcefully want all of us to ugprade ? why not give the latest patch of 3.8x to all users of 3X and then go on with upgrade to VB4 so if in the near future when users have money and feel like upgrading to VB4 they can do it !

Leave a comment:

• FreshFroot_
    replied
    Originally posted by x626xblack View Post
    A non active license is a non active license. If you do not pay for phone or internet and it is disconnected it does not matter if it is 5 minutes, 5 days or 5 years. You pay a reconnect fee. You chose to save money by not paying for the license. In the long run it may cost you more. Sometimes when you gamble you loose.

Moral of the story. Keep an active license and you have no problems.

So you prefer that the price is lowered and when you need Tech assistance you have to wait a week instead of few hours because they had to cut back on support staff?

Why should you get a discount when thousands of customers did not.

Your example is kind of off.

Technically an inactive license can't be compared to a disconnect phone. An inactive license can STILL be used, a disconnected phone cannot.

It's more like getting a phone service, and they tell you if you don't upgrade... well then you can't use any new features ever, and won't get anymore service. You will get what you got earlier, and no additional services can be added. So, if a new type of phone technology came out.. your SOL, because you need to pay to upgrade your services to get it.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X