Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying an Upgrade for VB3 to VB4 ? thats expensive !

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Buying an Upgrade for VB3 to VB4 ? thats expensive !

    I have 3 owned VB3 Licenses and their support expired at version 3.8.2 and i was thinking may be i should renew support and then i see that VB4 has been released and to upgrade each of those VB3 licenses to VB4 is going to cost me $175 each and now if i was to renew my 3 owend Licenses to VB4 taht would cost me about $525 and i think that's too much and even $175 fee for just renewing is a bit too much ?

    Say if i buy a new VB License thats $190 but for an upgrade its $175 from a previous owned license dont you think its a bit too harsh ! i mean at least the old members who have had owned VB3X licenses should get cheaper rates for renewing their Licenses to VB4 or at least those who have got more than 1 licenses to renew dont you think thats bit tooooo harsh in these economic criss ?

  • #2
    I suggest you pay for them and advertise to recoup your costs. If not, PHPBB3 is still free. You get what you pay for. If you do not want to pay for anything...well.. Someone is always having an economic crisis. That does not mean that the creators, developers and workers of VB should have to tell their children. "Sorry no presents for Christmas", someone who has not kept their licenses current feels they should be given a break.

    We were given cheaper rates. We has current licenses.



    Comment


    • #3
      so if i was not uptodate with my license support means that i have to pay more is that right ? i had grades till july of this year not 200 years difference ! and dont make the vb developers lowlife that if they lower fees for existing customers means they wont be able to afford Christmas presents ! yes thats the most common thing if your not happy why not use phpbb i have been using vb for years and if i complain about the aggressive pricing does that mean i should suddenly go phpbb

      Comment


      • #4
        Expensive compared to what?
        Invision Board I think is vB's closest competition and they are not cheap, support is charged @ 25.00 every six months.

        Comment


        • #5
          A non active license is a non active license. If you do not pay for phone or internet and it is disconnected it does not matter if it is 5 minutes, 5 days or 5 years. You pay a reconnect fee. You chose to save money by not paying for the license. In the long run it may cost you more. Sometimes when you gamble you loose.

          Moral of the story. Keep an active license and you have no problems.

          So you prefer that the price is lowered and when you need Tech assistance you have to wait a week instead of few hours because they had to cut back on support staff?

          Why should you get a discount when thousands of customers did not.



          Comment


          • #6
            I think the pre-sale upgrade price is fair. I'm impressed with the new management system and the integrated CMS. My guy would charge me a lot to plug a CMS into, that charge is now gone. Of course this is coming from an strictly owner point of view. Maybe its easy to do a CMS but its already in there and saving me money. I'm happy.

            Comment


            • #7
              haha this is outrageous x626xblack u look like ur the owner a non active license what does that mean its an owend license and i dont need support becuase i am able to install and fix common problems myself and i would need support just for updates and its an owend lciense not a freaking pay as you go license i dont need support anyway and i would be happy if they discontinued support and stick to just updates ! i haven't heard of anyone calling VB support in years ! its jsut a gimmick and whoever buys VB most of the time they now how to deal with it ! rest of custoemr support can be handled via ticket system like everyone else ! i am not jsut asking for a discount for myself but for all of us !

              SRobbin that might be the case if you look it at one time thing but i am sure there would be mroe support and upgrade charges after 4X so why charge license fee as much as a new license ! existing owners should at least get 50% discount on the upgrade !

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by EhsanAhmad View Post
                haha this is outrageous x626xblack u look like ur the owner a non active license what does that mean its an owend license and i dont need support becuase i am able to install and fix common problems myself and i would need support just for updates and its an owend lciense not a freaking pay as you go license i dont need support anyway and i would be happy if they discontinued support and stick to just updates ! i haven't heard of anyone calling VB support in years ! its jsut a gimmick and whoever buys VB most of the time they now how to deal with it ! rest of custoemr support can be handled via ticket system like everyone else ! i am not jsut asking for a discount for myself but for all of us !

                SRobbin that might be the case if you look it at one time thing but i am sure there would be mroe support and upgrade charges after 4X so why charge license fee as much as a new license ! existing owners should at least get 50% discount on the upgrade !
                There is no industry standard for your proposed pricing. See Microsoft Windows. Also you missed one important value in keeping the license current.... http://www.vbulletin.com/order/index.php?do=step1 Discounts for next version upgrades. Argue until your blue in the face if you like, I received the discount. Good luck in your crusade. I suppose the next time the maker of your car comes out with a new model you want 50% off of it?



                Comment


                • #9
                  the price is just fine
                  and furthermore, this has been discussed a number of time
                  -- Web Developer for hire
                  ---Online Marketing Tools and Articles

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Loco.M View Post
                    the price is just fine
                    and furthermore, this has been discussed a number of time
                    Yep! This horse is pretty much dead. There are few VB4 threads pre public Beta that do not cover this.



                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Scott View Post
                      Expensive compared to what?
                      Invision Board I think is vB's closest competition and they are not cheap, support is charged @ 25.00 every six months.
                      How is that not cheap? The $25 every 6 months also includes upgrades and support. vBulletin is $195 and an additional $80 for email and online ticket support. IPB is only $149 plus an optional $25 every 6 months

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Scott View Post
                        Expensive compared to what?
                        Invision Board I think is vB's closest competition and they are not cheap, support is charged @ 25.00 every six months.
                        nope.. once a year. And it gives you access to the latest IPB software too no matter what.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by x626xblack View Post
                          A non active license is a non active license. If you do not pay for phone or internet and it is disconnected it does not matter if it is 5 minutes, 5 days or 5 years. You pay a reconnect fee. You chose to save money by not paying for the license. In the long run it may cost you more. Sometimes when you gamble you loose.

                          Moral of the story. Keep an active license and you have no problems.

                          So you prefer that the price is lowered and when you need Tech assistance you have to wait a week instead of few hours because they had to cut back on support staff?

                          Why should you get a discount when thousands of customers did not.

                          Your example is kind of off.

                          Technically an inactive license can't be compared to a disconnect phone. An inactive license can STILL be used, a disconnected phone cannot.

                          It's more like getting a phone service, and they tell you if you don't upgrade... well then you can't use any new features ever, and won't get anymore service. You will get what you got earlier, and no additional services can be added. So, if a new type of phone technology came out.. your SOL, because you need to pay to upgrade your services to get it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            lets jsut look at the example of Windows 7 if you want to full ultiamte versiono f windows 7 costs $180 which is cheaper than a vb license and thats a whole computer OS not a single script, and for VB4 upgrade we have to pay $175 and that's not even a single bit odd to you ! and yes once you pay the support fee i would guess u get free updates for life but i am ok with them charging for upgrades and telephone support if they want to but i dont think telephone support and upgrades should be in one package !

                            so even by modern standards this product which i have been supporting and using for years is going out of the line and even if you want to stay 3.8x and just get the latest patch u cant even get that now what does that mean that they forcefully want all of us to ugprade ? why not give the latest patch of 3.8x to all users of 3X and then go on with upgrade to VB4 so if in the near future when users have money and feel like upgrading to VB4 they can do it !

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by EhsanAhmad View Post
                              lets jsut look at the example of Windows 7 if you want to full ultiamte versiono f windows 7 costs $180 which is cheaper than a vb license and thats a whole computer OS not a single script, and for VB4 upgrade we have to pay $175 and that's not even a single bit odd to you ! and yes once you pay the support fee i would guess u get free updates for life but i am ok with them charging for upgrades and telephone support if they want to but i dont think telephone support and upgrades should be in one package !

                              so even by modern standards this product which i have been supporting and using for years is going out of the line and even if you want to stay 3.8x and just get the latest patch u cant even get that now what does that mean that they forcefully want all of us to ugprade ? why not give the latest patch of 3.8x to all users of 3X and then go on with upgrade to VB4 so if in the near future when users have money and feel like upgrading to VB4 they can do it !
                              I'd have to agree with this latter part, a bit of a show of faith would be nice. I'm not worried just now, but I'm worried that when version 5 comes out I'll be screwed more.
                              I have faith in the product, but I'm afraid I have little support in the ethics of the company after something I wont mention happened between me and them. But they do seem to be in it for every cent... Which to me makes me worry about what they will do later, which makes me less confident in buying more or future products.

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X