Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyway to set up the 4.0 forum styles etc before upgrading an existing vb forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyway to set up the 4.0 forum styles etc before upgrading an existing vb forum?

I already have a decent sized vb forum (about 3/4 million posts and counting) on version 3.8 and have recently purchased 4.0 (and I am super excited for all the new features....thank you vb). I would LOVE to be able to install 4.0 separately in another directory (hidden to everyone but me) just so I could get the style, css, colors, etc all groomed to match my current site before going live with it. Otherwise it seems like I'll just have to upgrade my live 3.8 to 4.0 and scramble to change my look and feel while the forum is live.

I know I could shut the forum down while I do all of the style/color/css changes (would rather not have the downtime as I am sure it will take me quite a few hours to do my tweaking) but it would be SWEET if I could do it on the side in advance, upgrade my 3.8 to 4.0 and BAM.....it would just like I want it to be right out of the gate.

Thanks for any suggestions/ideas. If I have to do the scramble, I will 8) I can always look at the basic setup her at vb and get my artwork/logos done in advance as much as possible.
    Have you Beat Your Truck today?

Test site.

You can set up a test site in a dir on your server, password protect it, skin it and then export the style which you can slot right into the upgraded version when you do upgrade.

Comment

This is exactly what I want to do.....but was worried about the licensing with vb. They clearly state that only one site (forum) can operate per license. I was worried that I would not be able to do a "test forum" or it would kill my live forum somehow?

Comment

One site per license, except for a passworded test site. I'll quote the license agreement:

If you have a valid Software license, you may set up an additional test forum in order to test code, template and database modifications. To make this clear to us and our license verification procedures, place it in a directory called 'testvb' and be sure to password protect it. It must not be accessible by the general public.

Comment

Awesome! I figured I was missing something as this must have come up before. Thank you very much for the info and your help!

I have some work to do!

Comment

No problems. Let me know how it goes

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X