Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do I need to delete my old forum to install VBulletin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need to delete my old forum to install VBulletin?

My old forum resides at my address - www.mywebsite.com/forum

If I purchase the vBulletin Publishing Suite, will I need to delete my old forum before installing Vbulletin?

Ill assume you're running vB already...

What you will need to do is choose some options here.

Move to the root, so that everything is at mysite.com including the CMS, forums and blogs, or stay in /forums/ dir and have the CMS and blogs there. In either case, you can keep all your old posts and such, but you will need to overwrite your vB files.

Comment

Originally posted by icarusforde View Post
      Ill assume you're running vB already...

What you will need to do is choose some options here.

Move to the root, so that everything is at mysite.com including the CMS, forums and blogs, or stay in /forums/ dir and have the CMS and blogs there. In either case, you can keep all your old posts and such, but you will need to overwrite your vB files.
      I currently use SMF forum. I've never used Vbulletin before.

Comment

Okey dokey.

When ImpEx for vB4 is realeased (probably quite soon) you will be able to convert your database of posts from SMF format to vB format, which means you wont loose all your posts.

Comment

The problem i have just now though is i want to purchase V4 Publishing suit right now since the special offer is currently on and ends pretty soon!

Comment

you can have vB installed as you are getting the Suite put vB at the root dir of your site and leave the other where it is now.

Comment

Won't vB have a forum attached to it when installed? i.e. www.mysite.com/forum ?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert222 View Post
                Won't vB have a forum attached to it when installed? i.e. www.mysite.com/forum ?
                It does but it's not an instant forum. You have to get yourself a host and use an ftp client to upload it all and fix everything up.
                Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

He does have a host as he already said he's using SMF.

Comment

You can install vB4 into a different directory or the root directory depending on your preference, keeping your SMF forum running in the meantime while you customise the vB installation. For example:

SMF - www.mysite.com/forum

vB - www.mysite.com/forums

Then, when you've got your customisations complete, you can then use out Impex tool to transfer the following into the vB database:
                    • usergroups
                    • users
                    • forums
                    • threads
                    • Private messages
                    • moderators
                    • smilies (1.9 only)
                    • attachments
                    The purchase of the vB4 license will let you run this without the need to renew your license except on upgrade to the next major version (i.e. vB5) so there's no rush to make sure you're up and running to get your money's worth out of it.
                    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                    -
                    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                    - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X