Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Various Migration Questions

Hi guys,

Im a vBulletin virgin, iv just bought my 4.0 license, migrating an emerging SMF forum across to VB Publisher 4 on release.

Im planning my migration now, and have so far had a few hits and misses with importing my existing data. Iv managed to solve them one by one, how ever I still have a few more issues.

I would like to ask for advice though on the best course of action for migrating with minimal down time to users. Heres a few key points though

• Im starting from scratch. Ill need to design a new theme and customize the whole forum. I don’t use default themes or freebie themes. I only use unique designs for my forums. Occasionally I might buy a premium theme and modify it, wheres the best place to keep a lookout for high quality, premium themes for VB 4 ? (when they’re released) .. Paid themes.

• Theres significantly more to configure on the backend of VB then there is for SMF . Is there a way to configure the forum on an offline development version, and export the config for later import into my production environment ? I saw a config export in the admincp although it appeared to also take server settings like attachment paths, which would be different .. I guess I could just modify the XML before importing it ?

• The transition its self is going to be tricky … Im thinking I might build up the forum in a sub directory from the current root (something like http://domain.com/vbdev and then when the day comes to migrate , Ill move all the SMF files to a backup dir , move everything from /vbdev into the root , update the paths in VB and re-run the IMPEX tool again to update any lost data? is this a feasible solution ? Anything I need to know about updating paths ?

• Is there any indication when the impex tool for 4.0 will be released ? I would much prefer to do a clean 4.0 install rather than migrate my SMF data to a 3.8 install and then upgrade it to 4.0 …

• Any other tips you guys have for a smooth migration ?

Cheers , thanks
    Cheyne

Originally posted by soundpunk View Post
    Im starting from scratch. Ill need to design a new theme and customize the whole forum. I don’t use default themes or freebie themes. I only use unique designs for my forums. Occasionally I might buy a premium theme and modify it, wheres the best place to keep a lookout for high quality, premium themes for VB 4 ? (when they’re released) .. Paid themes
    Free themes can be uploaded onto this site and to www.vbulletin.org. Paid themes - there's a plethora of sites around that do them. Which is best is really down to the tastes of the individual looking for the theme. Personally, I've never used any paid themes as I've never really been that keen on what I've seen or they've been over-fussy for my needs.

Theres significantly more to configure on the backend of VB then there is for SMF . Is there a way to configure the forum on an offline development version, and export the config for later import into my production environment ? I saw a config export in the admincp although it appeared to also take server settings like attachment paths, which would be different .. I guess I could just modify the XML before importing it ?

You can create a test forum in a password protected directory and create the site to your needs in there. Once you're done, you can export the settings and/or themes or simply unprotect the folder and delete the old forum directory when you're done. It all depends on how exactly you're going to manage your migration to vB when you're done.

The transition its self is going to be tricky … Im thinking I might build up the forum in a sub directory from the current root (something like http://domain.com/vbdev and then when the day comes to migrate , Ill move all the SMF files to a backup dir , move everything from /vbdev into the root , update the paths in VB and re-run the IMPEX tool again to update any lost data? is this a feasible solution ? Anything I need to know about updating paths ?

Yes, this is another option which you can do. The only changes you'll need to then make are to the following setting:

AdminCP > Options > Settings > Site Name /URL / Contact Details

If you've set Attachment and Custom Avatar/Picture paths to the vbdev directory, then these will need to be changed also.

Is there any indication when the impex tool for 4.0 will be released ? I would much prefer to do a clean 4.0 install rather than migrate my SMF data to a 3.8 install and then upgrade it to 4.0 …

Sorry, no date has been set for this as yet.
    Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
    -
    *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
    - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
    - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

vb.org and a place miners or http://www.minerskinz.com/ are great places to get skins.

Comment

thanks for that guys .. I really like minerskinz designs , I might have a chat with them ..

thanks for the help ..

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X