X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nemanjas
    replied
    Originally posted by NyCwill View Post
    After weeks of comparing products and cost and reading up on different product, I've decided to switch to a different forum software.
    What alternative you've choosen?

I have no plans to fork 200$ for upgrade from 3.8.2 to 3.8.4 so i'm getting a look at the alternatives. I dont care if for that 200$ i also get vb4, blog, gallery or cms. I dont need them.

Leave a comment:

• Shotglass
    replied
    Plenty more satisfied customers on here that's great to know! It is a great little business selling software such as this the same as firewalls and virus software and this is what brings home the bacon. Plenty of people who are willing to fork out extra, if i only i could code as well! Imagine this though what if when vb 3.0 was released it was already available as a fully finished bug free product but it was released in stages just to rake in all that extra dough in support license's is that food for thought or what? Vbulletin will continue to be successful once the bugs are smoothed over. The thing is with all this talk of upgrades you have to ask yourself do you really need them? I know somebody running a older version of vb and still raking in thousands from ad banners. I can assure you he really made his license pay for itself.

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    Ace he has two licenses.
    I should have guessed that. (First person i've noticed to actually mean 'bought a new license' though. )

Leave a comment:

• Philosophy
    replied
    Originally posted by cbiweb View Post
    This may have been addressed somewhere at some point, and it has no effect on me, but I'm curious. Why would a 3.x license holder need to pay for 4.0 if they want to upgrade within the 3.x series? I can understand if they want to upgrade from 3.x to 4, but from 3.8.0 to 3.8.4PL1? That doesn't sound reasonable.

Not trying to start anything here, just not understanding the logic.
    There's a couple thousand people asking the same question. As a customer I don't want to upgrade to an unstable version of 4.0 GOLD. With the amount of bugs and severity of the bugs being reported, coupled with the timeline of them being fixed, forcing folks to upgrade to 4.0 is like having us pay to be their beta testers while they work on the software. That's not my idea of a good software purchase.

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson View Post
    Why does it suck to you?
    The only problem I see with this that if you wanted to add the cms to your forum you wouldn't be able to as you haven't upgraded. So upgrade and then you will be able to download the cms suite
    If we want a cms, we would use the plethora of good cms out there like Joomla, Drupal, Vbadvanced, and all the others. The CMS of vbulletin 4.0 is the only way to get the blog. So upgrade and then you can start off by submitting bug reports while your pulling your hair out with an unstable, un documented piece of software. This is genius.

Originally posted by blackberry View Post
    i also don't want to upgrade 4.0

and its not fair to pay for 4.0 upgrade if u want to stick with 3.8 patches etc.

Vb team should think about that and give renew option to owned license users
    Agreed. People who have the 3.8 should be able to upgrade without having to purchase an additional license for a software they aren't going to use. I'm not going to use vbulletin 4 but I was still suckered into purchasing a license for it.

One thing I think people need to be aware of also is that by purchasing vbulletin 4.0 suite, you still will not have access to vbulletin blog. So if your plans are to purchase the 4.0 suite so you can then use 3.8 and the vbulletin blog software, think again. They are not allowing suite purchasers that option. Check out this thread for their direct response to this.

There seems to be a lot of disappointed customers out there that could easily be helped by allowing them to stick with 3.8 and the blog until vbulletin 4 was actually ready and considered stable with documentation. GOLD in this case is not gold at all, it's not even bronze. Vbulletin, while aware of this still isn't bending and just allowing us to use the software of our choice due mainly to security and about 12 other pages of bug problems with what will probably be a new release each week just to iron out all the bugs.

Not sure about the rest of you but when I spend a couple hundred dollars on a script, I want some documentation and all bugs ironed out so that when I download what's supposed to be a stable version or a GOLD version, it's actually that. It's really too bad to see this company ruining it's relationship with it's current and loyal customers. That loyalty after all this has diminished greatly. Good luck to all you who purchase this new fandagled software.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Your license is still good, and you've received what you've paid for. A license that allows you to run the software and get updates. We just no longer offer renewals to grab new versions of the software as they're released. When/If your time has expired, you can still get security patches and run the software.

Leave a comment:

• Tygerwoody
    replied
    Another thing I noticed, is the new vBulletin 4.0 doesn't have an expiration date. Well that's great. So my license I paid nearly the same amount is basically worthless and can never update again. How awful. I can't believe more people aren't complaining about this.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Ace he has two licenses.

globecodds,

You havae two licenses, you can run 1 vBulletin 3.x forums and another 4.x or 3.x on your new 4.0 license.

Leave a comment:

• Tygerwoody
    replied
    Wow. vBulletin is turning into a joke. I too own a 3.8 license. I actually had my credit card out ready to buy a license for 4.0 tonight... until I saw the price

You mean to tell me I paid $180 for a license already and now you want me to pay another $200 to "upgrade" which is basically the same cost as if I never bought vbulletin at all? This is a joke. I will NEVER recommend vBulletin to anyone again. And believe me, I got these guys plenty of sales from my word of mouth.

Shame on you vBulletin. This is an absolute disgrace.

Leave a comment:

• Ace
    replied
    Originally posted by globecodds View Post
    Just a thought as i have an owned licence for 3x can i still use that as well as 4x as i bought a new licence for 4x????????
    No you can't.

Leave a comment:

• glassic
    replied
    I purchased an "Owned License" in March 09. When I went in to get the discounted $40 yearly fee, by paying early, is when I discovered all this. Yes, saw a message in my admin program about upgrading to 4.0 just a few months after our purchase of 3.8.+ but had no need to upgrade our program to a newer version when we just pulled together funds to purchased this one.

We haven't even had a years worth of use of our program we purchased and we are required to purchase again.

We are just a small group of friends with a common interest who pulled some money together to get online.

VBulletin was suggested to us as a good way to go. Now everyone has to pony up again in less than a years time! That is just plain wrong!

So much for the program that came highly recommended to us.

Leave a comment:

• globecodds
    replied
    My 3.8.X licence expired a month ago and i have been able to download all the updates to the 3.8.x software after it expired, updated it to PL2 yesterday!

Just a thought as i have an owned licence for 3x can i still use that as well as 4x as i bought a new licence for 4x????????

Leave a comment:

• mkinnov8
    replied
    How Wonderful.

Leave a comment:

• Shamil.
    replied
    Originally posted by bosss View Post
    Nobody can change our original buy/sales agreement, and every change from one side is against law! That is what vbulletin maked!
    That is crime!

regards

bosss
    I have already told you that it is LEGAL. Now stop spreading rubbish.

Originally posted by mkinnov8 View Post
    Hi all,

Please excuse if this is posted in the wrong place..

I am a 3.8 user and have been with vb for a few years, owned two leased licences in the past but now down to just one which I run for my community.. small but active. Now with these new prices and products, I get the impression that when my leased licence expires in January 2010 I will have to purchase 4.0 even if I dont wish to upgrade to 4.0.. there are no leased licence options offered anymore? Is that correct?

Im just trying to find out what my options are. It seems that vb has taken a decision to squeeze money from all users, to get everyone on to the same base platform. I can understand the business sense in such a move, but what about the little guys?

I dont even see an option to upgrade from a 3.8 leased licence to an owned licence without going through the 4.0 route.

Someone please tell me Im wrong?
    Nope, you are correct.

Leave a comment:

• mkinnov8
    replied
    Hi all,

Please excuse if this is posted in the wrong place..

I am a 3.8 user and have been with vb for a few years, owned two leased licences in the past but now down to just one which I run for my community.. small but active. Now with these new prices and products, I get the impression that when my leased licence expires in January 2010 I will have to purchase 4.0 even if I dont wish to upgrade to 4.0.. there are no leased licence options offered anymore? Is that correct?

Im just trying to find out what my options are. It seems that vb has taken a decision to squeeze money from all users, to get everyone on to the same base platform. I can understand the business sense in such a move, but what about the little guys?

I dont even see an option to upgrade from a 3.8 leased licence to an owned licence without going through the 4.0 route.

Someone please tell me Im wrong?

Leave a comment:

• mariohn
    replied
    I wish they would reconsider their pricing structure, and honor the "owners" of licenses. Also as others mentioned I have been looking into other forum software, i never though i would as my biggest forum is about Vbulletin itself, but i am afraid that with this pricing i will have to find something else.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X