Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think vB is ready for the Gold release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HydraulicJack
    replied
    Can anybody post a link to what Bob Brisco said in his Co-Keynote address at Webmaster World PubCon 2009?

Leave a comment:

• Grover
    replied
    Originally posted by the geek View Post
    Regardless of ALL the outstanding issues, I have faith in the development team at vBS to resolve the current issues, refactor the code and create a strong foundation for the future. However I can't say the same for their leadership. Like many others customers, my trust was cashed in via a pre-sale deal in return for a premature release.
    Amen.

And I also wonder if it will ever be possible again to create a strong foundation (the software) if the human foundation (the community) -that has supported vB from the start until vB3.8- is falling apart more and more...

Leave a comment:

• the geek
    replied
    Be angry at the people that sold Jelsoft versus the management that has abused and taken advantage of the trust of the loyal customer base the past owners had built? That is like buying your spouse a new car and then reaming out the guy who sold it to you when your spouse drives it full speed into a wall.

If I was a shareholder I would be furious. In my world, a Company performs an acquisition for strategic gain and/or increased revenue. For IB it is clearly both and if either fails, the acquisition isn't really a success. IB relies on vB and I am sure has many plans for the software, however IB also needs the revenue from sustained or increased sales to fund that process. If the acquisition unnecessarily damages the customers perception of the product and the ability for vBS to generate the same level of sales (or greater) then the acquisition becomes worth less and a failure. If that happens then whomever is running the vB show at IB essentially reduced the value of the shareholders purchase. Why? Why exactly did gold HAVE to be released in the pants state it was on the 21st? IB clearly weren't upgrading all of their sites on the 21st and a release date doesn't mean squat for EoY accounts, so one must assume it is because either someones job or someones bonus was on the line. If either is the case, then it is actually down to the poor leadership that would create an environment where quality was thrown out the window to save a job or make a bonus.

Regardless of ALL the outstanding issues, I have faith in the development team at vBS to resolve the current issues, refactor the code and create a strong foundation for the future. However I can't say the same for their leadership. Like many others customers, my trust was cashed in via a pre-sale deal in return for a premature release.

Leave a comment:

• kyrgyz
    replied
    ...but trying to show one in a bad light simply because it makes you feel better about your choice. Its not fair, nor accurate.
    I was responding to dgbarker's post about IPB's possible outgrowing of vBulletin as far as mod community goes. Gave two links and asked to look at the difference of vB4 and IPS3 mod offerings. What so bad about it?

Use the last 3 months as a baseline and compare sites. Which brand do you think is seeing the largest increase in new customers? IB or IPB? Who has ACTED like the leader? Who has been the most attractive for customers and for modders? These are of course rhetorical questions. Your answer could be IB, mine could be another.
    There are no data to compare. It could go either way. Judging by Steve Machols's statement, vBulletin had good sales. I assume a good portion of them came from new customers. Time will show.

As far as acting as a leader goes, I see only one change: vBulletin going corporate. Hence there is a new management style yoked onto vBulletin. No more of laid back friendly work environment for vB team, but harsh reality of being pushed to increase shareholders' value and facing the absense of a voice in the final decision-making, be it fast releases or price hikes. Give vBulletin a time to adjust the best they can. If people are so angry at vBulletin, they should blame its previous owner for selling it, not IB corporation or present vBulletin team. New folks, new strokes.
    Last edited by kyrgyz; Sat 26 Dec '09, 4:31pm.

Leave a comment:

• the geek
    replied
    You tried to slag off IPB by using .org new mod release over the last 2 months as a comparison tool. I called BS because the last 2 months has been busy with people reporting mods from 3.8x, that isn't indicative of a typical 2 months, nor is ot showing an explosion of ingenuity or innovation. Again; the feature sets are different so you're comparing apples and oranges, but trying to show one in a bad light simply because it makes you feel better about your choice. Its not fair, nor accurate.

I will give you the point regarding my statement where I said 'sure they will'. I didn't mean it as a prediction, so I guess I should have said 'sure they could'. Use the last 3 months as a baseline and compare sites. Which brand do you think is seeing the largest increase in new customers? IB or IPB? Who has ACTED like the leader? Who has been the most attractive for customers and for modders? These are of course rhetorical questions. Your answer could be IB, mine could be another.

Leave a comment:

• kyrgyz
    replied
    FWIW, I didn't 'predict' anything, so who is putting words into whos mouth?
    You said "Sure it will" Sounds even better then prediction.

mokay buddy. I simply quoted your own words which made a poor attempt to compare apples and oranges, ressurect all you want.
    I guess you need to learn to read carefully then. I never said what you are alleging. Reread my post in question. Pasting it below:

Originally posted by kyrgyz View Post
    Not gonna happen.

Check vB4 mods submitted on vb.org in a few months (2?): http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=244

Compare to IP.Board 3 mods on invisionpower.com submitted since December 2008: http://community.invisionpower.com/f...2-ipboard-30x/

See the difference?
    Last edited by kyrgyz; Sat 26 Dec '09, 3:42pm.

Leave a comment:

• the geek
    replied
    Originally posted by kyrgyz View Post
    I think you are being ridiculous. I gave links to mod pages for both vb.org and ips.com. I specificly referred to vB4 mods, not overall stats and IPB mods' stats since the beta release of IPB3 (December 2008). So, please don't put words in my mouth.

In just two months there is a flurry of mod activity for vB4. Compare that to IPB3's 12 months. It shows dynamics quite opposite to what dgbaker and you are predicting. That's regardless if those are just ports or else. The facts is you can't compare vB mod community to IPS's. You say it sure will lose. I'll resurrect this thread from the dead one year from now. We'll see then.
    mokay buddy. I simply quoted your own words which made a poor attempt to compare apples and oranges, ressurect all you want. FWIW, I didn't 'predict' anything, so who is putting words into whos mouth?

Ta-Ra!

Leave a comment:

• consolegaming
    replied
    Ignore. it took me to an old post and I responded to it lol. I thought I was on the latest page lol.

Leave a comment:

• JamieinNH
    replied
    Originally posted by dutchbb View Post
    Just discovered a new bug: clicking the "go back to original post button" in the quotes just sends me to page 1 of the thread. How can these bugs stay in gold release? I will not upgrade until all these issues are fixed.
    How's that for time travel... They had this issue in 3.6 too! http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/proje...?issueid=20001

I am sure they will get it sorted out though.

Leave a comment:

• kyrgyz
    replied
    Its a ridiculous comparison that doesn't even make sense.

He links the 4.0 .org page to show the stats for mods released in the last 2 months for vB. However those numbers are the TOTAL number of mods for ALL versions? He then says 'compare that to what has been released in 3 weeks at IPB'. Huh? 2 months versus 3 weeks? The IPB link shows all IPB3 mods (I think) which looks like it shows ~260 files compared to vb4's 135. Its all apples and oranges and very poorly presented regardless of the argument he was trying to make.

Anyhoo, if third party free modifications is what it takes for you to use a lame duck release, then I think you have bigger issues
    I think you are being ridiculous. I gave links to mod pages for both vb.org and ips.com. I specificly referred to vB4 mods, not overall stats and IPB mods' stats since the beta release of IPB3 (December 2008). So, please don't put words in my mouth.

In just two months there is a flurry of mod activity for vB4. Compare that to IPB3's 12 months. It shows dynamics quite opposite to what dgbaker and you are predicting. That's regardless if those are just ports or else. The facts is you can't compare vB mod community to IPS's. You say it sure will lose. I'll resurrect this thread from the dead one year from now. We'll see then.
    Last edited by kyrgyz; Sat 26 Dec '09, 3:08pm.

Leave a comment:

• copiertalk
    replied
    Originally posted by Darkimmortal View Post
    Lack of third party modifications is one of the major reasons why I'm not running IP.Board right now.
    Many of the features and additions to vbulletin 4.0 are already built into IPB software. There is no need to modify their software to get the same funtionality you have to update vbulletin to get.

Leave a comment:

• mykes
    replied
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...-well-it-works

Leave a comment:

• Darkimmortal
    replied
    Lack of third party modifications is one of the major reasons why I'm not running IP.Board right now.

Leave a comment:

• the geek
    replied
    Originally posted by Darkimmortal View Post
    So ports from IP.Board 2 aren't possible?

Its a ridiculous comparison that doesn't even make sense.

He links the 4.0 .org page to show the stats for mods released in the last 2 months for vB. However those numbers are the TOTAL number of mods for ALL versions? He then says 'compare that to what has been released in 3 weeks at IPB'. Huh? 2 months versus 3 weeks? The IPB link shows all IPB3 mods (I think) which looks like it shows ~260 files compared to vb4's 135. Its all apples and oranges and very poorly presented regardless of the argument he was trying to make.

Anyhoo, if third party free modifications is what it takes for you to use a lame duck release, then I think you have bigger issues

Leave a comment:

• Darkimmortal
    replied
    Sure it will, thats a bogus comparison as most mods released at .org the last couple months are ports for vb4 and therefore are duplicates.
    So ports from IP.Board 2 aren't possible?

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X