Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think vB is ready for the Gold release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As admin, can you turn off the blog feature and just post articles?

Originally posted by vivamexico55 View Post
    I have about 200-300 users online at any time, 600,000 posts, and the drop in speed is significant, but it's not a deal killer for me yet. However I only have 3 articles posted so far, and it is a VPS. Ask me again when I have thousands of articles!

If I had to rate it, I'd say before, with vb 3.8, it was a 10 in speed (memcached helped immensely), and now it's about a 6 or 7. Usable, if not Google-speed.

However, on those big boards with thousands of users, oy... who knows?

Vbulletin itself doesn't seem particularly slower than before... I'm more concerned about the broken features of the CMS, although the inefficiency of the queries demands attention too.

edit: Another concern is that if this is the default speed with no mods or anything, I'm probably not going to be adding any plugins anytime soon. I am also not using Blogs, Calendar, and a lot of other features - just CMS + Forum so far.

Comment

• Mike, I checked out your site and noticed that you have a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the screen. And when you scroll the page across, there's a big empty space on the right side....Why is that?

Originally posted by Mike Anime View Post
      i run the CMS and my server is not offline because of it. and yes it is SHARED hosting.

Comment

• Absolutely not.

Granted, if vB4 was better looking (skin-wise, although the skin isn't horrible) and less buggy + the price remained the same along with the licensing, I'd have both of my sites running vBulletin still. Instead, i'm running IPB3 on them, and I'm glad that they are, after seeing what the so overly hyped vBulletin 4 turned out to be, just a new style and SEO "friendly urls", I'm glad I made the leap. Although i'm curious as to see what vB4 has to offer in the future, and maybe, MAYBE i'll switch back at a later date, but right now, vB4 doesn't deserve to even be called version 4.0.0, it's more like 3.9.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert222 View Post
          As admin, can you turn off the blog feature and just post articles?
          Yes, I disabled Blogs, under the "Plugins/Products" page, and I posted a few test articles in the CMS.

Edit: You can also disable blogs for some usergroups, for instance if you want to allow blogs for only some users.
          Last edited by vivamexico55; Tue 22 Dec '09, 11:54am.

Comment

• http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...98#post1881098
            Sigh this is the reason why you dont go with release date severl months ahead....
            i still consider the gold release as a rc2, cms is still messy as ever

Originally posted by maidos View Post
            imo, no!
            Before IB bought jelsoft, devs didnt really give a release date on gold version and instead they are jusst releasing when they think its stable. What i think it was bad move by IB was that they gave a release date for the gold versionb because theres no gurantee that script will be bugfree or less buggy since new bugs surface everyday. If we see for today, a bug report might surfacce and is a huge one that requires alteration on several scripts which can take hours or days. So giving a release date and got tons of bug report at once will just stress the programmers to keep it in schedule and could do a sloppy work? and if you delay the release date you could piss some customers off like you see with sony ericsson. You could lose some credibility there

So what if devs fixed xxx bugs does it really justify to skip over thje next phase(rc2 -->rc4) based on numbers of bugs youve fixed. Maybe you should focus on making the script generate less bugs before going to the next phase?

Comment

• Well, on the positive side, I see a LOT of good potential in the CMS+Forum integration. If it improves at a rapid pace, all of this will be forgotten and vbulletin will become the undisputed standard.

So I hope they keep working on those bugs as fast as possible, and in general improvement of the software. I guess it sucks for them that this happened during holidays, I'm guessing it wasn't the programmer's first choice to make a big release on Christmas n_n

Comment

• I feel treated in a very bad way by IB (again), seeing so many people voicing their very negative opinion about the CMS. I went for the presale Suite, because I need the Blogs. Also in due time I need the CMS, which we have been asking for, for 7 (!!!) years. And see... what happens now is what most customers were afraid of: we bought a CMS that we didn't not even have the ability to see, let alone test beforehand. And it is of a very low quality so it seems. It keeps amazing me how this new management is handling things. vBulletin Shiny Things? Sorry, honestly... a lot of customers (and once very dedicated enthusiastic ones) feel these are the darkest ages in the history of vBulletin.

I dearly hope there is light at the end of the tunnel... because boy this has been a rough ride this year, isn't it?
                How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

• How should high queries effects on bandwidth- and other costs be factored in to the actual cost of the product?
                  Please keep up... til you're ready to lead!

Comment

• Beta yes, gold, definatly not (In my opinion)
                    I was hoping for a radical update before it got released, but meh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grover View Post
                      I feel treated in a very bad way by IB (again), seeing so many people voicing their very negative opinion about the CMS. I went for the presale Suite, because I need the Blogs. Also in due time I need the CMS, which we have been asking for, for 7 (!!!) years. And see... what happens now is what most customers were afraid of: we bought a CMS that we didn't not even have the ability to see, let alone test beforehand. And it is of a very low quality so it seems. It keeps amazing me how this new management is handling things. vBulletin Shiny Things? Sorry, honestly... a lot of customers (and once very dedicated enthusiastic ones) feel these are the darkest ages in the history of vBulletin.

I dearly hope there is light at the end of the tunnel... because boy this has been a rough ride this year, isn't it?
                      I think the CMS is not yet ready, granted, but it isn't of low quality. It's actually very good, even in its existing state. It's got some bugs though, and the one involving excess queries is a "showstopper" (I so hate these silly terms).

I'm as disappointed as anyone but I am confident this will be sorted in due course. The product itself, as designed , is fine, it's just a bit rough round the edges at present. I don't regret buying it.
                      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
                      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

• [QUOTE=NegativeSmoke;1880524vB4 doesn't deserve to even be called version 4.0.0, it's more like 3.9.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, one of the reasons I chose not to upgrade
                        The negatives far outweighed the positives in my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                          I think the CMS is not yet ready, granted, but it isn't of low quality.
                          That (being it not ready) is what I meant by 'low quality'.
                          How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert222 View Post
                            Mike, I checked out your site and noticed that you have a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the screen. And when you scroll the page across, there's a big empty space on the right side....Why is that?

i never had anyone mention this what screen resolution are you running?

Comment

• Originally posted by Grover View Post
                              That (being it not ready) is what I meant by 'low quality'.
                              Agreed
                              I've seen a few sites running the CMS and it seems, well, rather slow
                              Could be that I've viewed sites which are slow in general, but I'm doubting that's the case.
                              And I agree with Grover, incomplete/not ready = low quality
                              If it's unfinished, slow and buggy, it shouldn't be released as gold, not the standard I expect from VB, but the merge with IB? has certainly changed VB's standards to a much lower level.

Comment

• Once vbulletin release version 4.05 or 4.10 above then i will call it a real "Gold"
                                Last edited by ahheng; Thu 22 Apr '10, 6:09am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X