Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think vB is ready for the Gold release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ANOTHER one of these topics. I voted yes

Comment

I voted no. I think they have made great changes in the last week or two, but I think we need another couple of RC's and they need to do a freeze and fix anything on the board unless something major shows up and then they should release Gold.

I believe at the rate they are going, we will get a "real Gold" towards the end of January after they release the two scheduled patches.

Comment

It will depend on the release itself. Not on previous betas. How can you rate something without seeing it? For all we know there are 60 IB coders working on it 24/7.
        I buy 420 forums

Comment

why do we need ANOTHER topic like this?

to bad the coders can't make it so only one "do you think vB is ready or not" topic can exist at a time eather deleting duplicate topics or mreging them all into one.

Comment

I say no

Comment

Originally posted by Alfa1 View Post
              It will depend on the release itself. Not on previous betas. How can you rate something without seeing it? For all we know there are 60 IB coders working on it 24/7.
              release candidate - generally it means a product that a company feels has the strong potential of bieng gold worthy b
              Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Hell no.

This is not even close to being ready. IB would serve itself (and all of our vB communities) best if they made sure the 4.0 product actually *works* before shipping it out the door.
                If they release as is, I give the company two years max. There will be massive negative reviews they will never recover from. I am not advocating such, that is natural reaction to a buggy product calling itself worthy to play with the big boys. Management says "release it" as IB management apparently perceives that they are simply repainting a barn. Us users can tell otherwise. Many of our core functions that we rely on are missing!! IB also better thank vBSEO profusely because if it weren't for them, 1000's of vB communities would be gone overnight.

To the folks that are saying yes, you probably have small communities and it doesn't really matter much to you as you are still growing and can sustain a small hit or you may perceive this as helping your new website. Hope it works out for yah. However, us older Big Boards, that have given faith and endorsements for *years* are quite embarrassed.

They can release if they want, it is their product. But don't say they were not warned.
                ??

Comment

There will be massive negative reviews they will never recover from.
                  I also think this is something IB should take quite seriously. I've previously purchased other products in the past that had too many issues with them, which should never have been released as a Gold version for sale. VIVVO is one prime example! Hence, I dumped them like lead brick and never returned back to consider using their product again in the future. They was moving at too fast a pace, and with each new version release came too many issues still present all the time.

IB should not under-estimate what effect "releasing a buggy product with too many issues still present in it" can have on a person buying it. Many will not wait for further bug fixes to be done later, but instead will instantly loose all faith in it and not come back again in the future to consider using it ever again. Feeling that will be the general way things are done in the future.

Once trust is lost on something you purchase that your very unhappy with. The normal reaction is to learn from your silly mistake and don't get bitten twice by the same company. And no amount of future "forum announcements" will change that persons view once his mind is made up. I really hope IB have thought hard about this, as all their hard work could be undone in a week if vBulletin 4 (still has too many unacceptable issues) with it. There's a level of bugs and problems a person will accept, we know there will always be some bugs. But releasing a product that is very obviously not ready at all to go Gold - is a real "no, no" in keeping your customers faithful. And it just says a whole lot about the company your handing your money over too. That they shouldn't be dealt with again in the future because they did it!

If you look at this Vote Poll so far, you can see that the overwhelming opinion so far, is that people don't think you should release it yet. And are willing to wait longer for a more stable release. So why don't you listen to them (your customers) who pay your wage. Instead of rushing into something that might backfire on you big time next week if all is not good enough.
                  Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 18 Dec '09, 9:51pm.

Comment

I voted no. It feels rushed just to try and appease people. Going from Beta, to RC to Gold in such a short period of time is just unheard of. And if they think throwback is bad now, what happens when it goes gold, people upgrade, and problems ensue. It will put egg in the eye of Vbulletin, further aggravating people and causing more backlash. IMO it's not yet ready. Especially knowing we could get 2 maintenance releases in a 1 month time frame after launch, tells me it's not ready.

Wasn't it just 2 months ago no one saw or even used VB4 beyond the beta testers? Then it gets thrown out into the wild, with issues, then bumped up to RC and now Gold in a short matter of time afterwards?

I say let this think cook some more before taking it from the stove. Doing it too soon could be counter-productive otherwise.

Comment

Why bother?

Comment

Originally posted by JarkkoL View Post
                        Since we are just a few days from the gold release, I'm curious, how many of you thinks based on the way RC4 is and no expected major improvements underway, that vB4 is actually ready for the gold release and to be used on a live site?
                        I voted yes because it's only some small problems they need to fix. I noticed reading some of these comments that some people who have voted No actually don't like the new style of vB.
                        Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                        Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

I feel it's good enough for release.
                          Forums

Comment

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson View Post
                            I voted yes because it's only some small problems they need to fix. I noticed reading some of these comments that some people who have voted No actually don't like the new style of vB.

I fail to see what (not liking the new style) has anything to do with peoples view that outstanding bugs need fixing much further? With some bugs that are not style related anyhow.

Please, enlighten me! As I just happen to be one of those people who doesn't like the new default style, so I'm curious why you say that?
                            Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 18 Dec '09, 10:34pm.

Comment

If I could modify the CSS blog and CMS independantly from the main forum I would vote yes........OK if you want a plain forum but start modifying colors and its almost usless. It would be laughable if I hadn't paid for it.
                              ttttt

Comment

Well, there is no perfect conditon to launch a product with new features. Just go for it for the Gold version !!!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X