Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think vB is ready for the Gold release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kyrgyz View Post
    Your vB4 skin is very nice.
    Thanks
    vB4 SuperCharged
    http://www.gamingmasters.co.uk

Comment

• Originally posted by S1OPP View Post
      Bosss, your rants are very naive.

I buy several hundred PCs per month (my job), I can no longer 'buy' a PC with XP. I have to buy Vista/Windows 7, Microsoft 'allow' me to run XP with this license.
      Also Microsoft are constantly informing me that very soon XP will no longer 'work' on newer hardware.

I would also like to point out that if you continue to 'accuse' vBulletin/IB of 'robbery' you stand a good chance of facing a libel charge. As your defamation is actually a crime.
      But at the same time, one must ask whether our original sales agreement is still in effect.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

• I can appreciate some of the issues around the css and variables, any developments should make customisation simple. But some of the other issues raised here seem pendantical.

Comment

• Heck it was already patched, wasnt ready.

Comment

• I just upgraded a copy of my live site on a staging server to 4.0 PL1.

On this forum, I click on the little button in a quote, to take me to the quoted post, and it loads the 1st page of the thread. When I voted in this poll, it took me to page 1 of the thread (I was on page 7).

However, on my staging server, it all works.

Weirdness.

I was planning to upgrade my site to 4.0 over the weekend, but now I'm hesitant.

I am not worried about lots of queries on the CMS, BTW. Drupal isn't any better, and it's use is pretty wide spread. It's the price of having a rich feature set and per article permissions.

I voted yes in this poll, and I'll explain why.

I've been administering vb and ipb sites for about a decade now. vBulletin is by far the best message board, though where it goes beyond these features it's been not well implemented. With each new release, those features have gotten better, but they're not there yet. The really big deal for me has been the really poor integration with other software to give my community more options than just message board posting.

vbDrupal was a terrible experiment for us. Integration with wikimedia is just not pulled off well. Wordpress integration is ugly. What makes 4.0 have real potential is the tight integration of blogs and CMS (and hopefully wiki at some point).

As I browse my site running 4.0 on the staging server, I see a lot of things lacking. I am actually willing to put up with such things knowing how the software has always progressed, historically. Maybe 4.0 won't be ideal, but I expect 4.1 will be a lot better. It won't get better if I don't run 4.0 and make known the things I see that need to be better.

I see people in this thread talk about 1000 open bugs. I recommend people take a look at the bug list for Firefox sometime. They have pretty bad bugs still open since 2003. It's the nature of software. Now that vb4 has soooo many more features than plain old vb3, you'd expect there to be 2x or 3x or 4x the bugs reported.

I haven't made up my mind about doing the upgrade. I can always wait until people post about how happy they are with 4.x (whatever x is) and then upgrade. I get lifetime upgrades for the $200+ I paid, and I'm patient.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkimmortal View Post
              Thanks
              WHen I click on a "comments" link on your site, I get a 404 error.

Comment

• My only concern in all this is the fact that I will have to wait probably till 4.0.2 to 'upgrade' my forum. Then why did they make me pay in October itself. Dont give me the discounted price argument as they cant expect to sell the suite for $495. Its insanely priced for someone who wants to start off. I could have deferred my so called investment instead of making adjustment in my expenses.

Comment

• offtopic

On the release day vB4 had 1/3 of positive votes.
                  Not even week after release it dropped to 1/4. Sad.
                  Then management makes another wrong decision to push every suite owner to suite only installation.
                  This fraction will go down.

Comment

• Originally posted by RadioErewan View Post
                    On the release day vB4 had 1/3 of positive votes.
                    Not even week after release it dropped to 1/4. Sad.
                    That's because there are only two choices given in the poll. Between NO and ABSOLUTELY READY there are plenty of other opinions. I don't take this poll as indicative.

Comment

• Originally posted by mykes View Post
                      I see people in this thread talk about 1000 open bugs. I recommend people take a look at the bug list for Firefox sometime. They have pretty bad bugs still open since 2003. It's the nature of software. Now that vb4 has soooo many more features than plain old vb3, you'd expect there to be 2x or 3x or 4x the bugs reported.

I haven't made up my mind about doing the upgrade. I can always wait until people post about how happy they are with 4.x (whatever x is) and then upgrade. I get lifetime upgrades for the $200+ I paid, and I'm patient.

Good post, but the difference is that Firefox is free, people have paid for this and as a result have more of a right to complain. But I don't personally have an issue. I think if gold wasnt ready to be gold then they should have waited but perhaps they set themselves a deadline they couldnt really meet due to the demands from people who prebought it.

I have just purchased a new hosting plan to meet the requirements of 4.0 and was advised by them not to roll out 4.0 as its not stable enough yet.

People complained when they couldnt view the beta, they complained when they had the beta (umm its a Beta), they complained when gold wasnt quick enough and complain once its landed.

But I'm happy to wait. VB have not helped themselves but I don't see why people can't just wait, it will be sorted, they don't have a choice.

The major issue for me, is VB 4.0 a worthy product in terms of functonality and cusomisation. I am yet to be convinced on that.

Also as pointed out the poll optiions on this thread are no indication, talk about loaded. "Yes its absolutely ready". More options and less bias wording would give it a level playing field

Comment

• Originally posted by Ak Worm View Post
                        Heck it was already patched, wasnt ready.
                        I believe the patch was for all vb versions, so it wasn't specific to vb4...

Comment

• Originally posted by dutchbb View Post
                          I believe the patch was for all vb versions, so it wasn't specific to vb4...
                          and i believe that the staff mentioned that they introduced an entire new coding structure on vb4

Comment

• Originally posted by maidos View Post
                            and i believe that the staff mentioned that they introduced an entire new coding structure on vb4
                            And I believe that is not entirely true since vb4 was never classified as a total rewrite

Comment

• Originally posted by kyrgyz View Post
                              Not gonna happen.

Check vB4 mods submitted on vb.org in a few months (2?): http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=244

Compare to IP.Board 3 mods on invisionpower.com submitted since December 2008: http://community.invisionpower.com/f...2-ipboard-30x/

See the difference?

Sure it will, thats a bogus comparison as most mods released at .org the last couple months are ports for vb4 and therefore are duplicates.
                              My Twitterings

Comment

• Originally posted by minimock2000 View Post
                                Amen... I dont know why I keep comming back to this thread, its like a car wreck in slow motion. Maybe VB needs to serve cheese with all this whining.

I have done 6 upgrades now for large and small boards, with a bunch to go. I have had little to no problems at all.

Can we embed a box of tissues please LOL
                                Would love to see some of these large boards with the CMS. Can you link please?
                                My Twitterings

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X