Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think vB is ready for the Gold release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ramsesx View Post
    Are you now a hidden employee of IB Mark?
    No I'm not. Indeed, I've been critical in the past (to the extent I was banned from this site), and I'm currently critical of the number of bugs remaining in the Gold release.

But often people forget that companies exist for one reason - to make money. That's the capitalist system, whether we like it or not. Some people think they should be doing it for the good of their health. My point is, it's not a BAD thing for them to making money out of vB - on the contrary, it's the perfect reason for buying such a company. In fact the more they make, the better it is as the company is stable and can invest in development and service. As long as customers are not ripped off, then that's a perfectly fair business model.

It's not a popular view but it's the reality.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

• Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
      Which is why I said this in RED

Also, Internet Brands have not said themselves it will be 12-18 months. I've read a comment before made by "Wayne Luke" I think it was, could be wrong. In which he said he thinks that will be the case. But nothing concrete from IB has been put in stone that I've read anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong! And yeah, what you say may very well be the case of 12-18 months. I'm just trying to say it may NOT be the case also. Development has been moving very fast indeed through the Beta, RC stages, to Gold. If that's anything like a guidline to go off. At that kind of pace, 6 months sounds a pretty fair time scale to me personally to expect we might see vB5.

18 months Mark is a very long time, and even more so when you look at the pace there moving at right now. It's not like we're only seeing a new RC release done every 3 months is it? If that was the case, I'd very much agree with you.
      I'm just going off what Ray said, which was that they expected to be "knocking on the door of vb5" 12 to 18 months after vB4 Gold.

Of course, Ray's left now, but I doubt this means the wholesale change of the business model.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
        No I'm not. Indeed, I've been critical in the past (to the extent I was banned from this site), and I'm currently critical of the number of bugs remaining in the Gold release.

But often people forget that companies exist for one reason - to make money. That's the capitalist system, whether we like it or not. Some people think they should be doing it for the good of their health. My point is, it's not a BAD thing for them to making money out of vB - on the contrary, it's the perfect reason for buying such a company. In fact the more they make, the better it is as the company is stable and can invest in development and service. As long as customers are not ripped off, then that's a perfectly fair business model.

It's not a popular view but it's the reality.
        I agree to an extent, that companies should be held to the same high standard you'd expect lets say for all intensive purposes... out of a plumber. And if your pipes are full of poo and the plumber comes and cleans them but only unclogs half the poo, do you pay him full price and leave rave reviews all over, or do you make him do it again and again until it's crap free.

Incase anyone missed the analogy iNet is the plumber and vBulletin is the poo in the lines.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
          But often people forget that companies exist for one reason - to make money.
          That's ridiculous. You don't make money by alienating a large part of your customer base. Sure they managed to bring in a bunch of cash one time by ripping people off on the "prerelease sale". But I would bet the growth curve VB has seen over the years will flatten out now, and unless they really get their act together, their customer base will actually start to shrink. That is not good business or "the essence of capitalism".

Comment

• Originally posted by ridemonkey View Post
            That's ridiculous. You don't make money by alienating a large part of your customer base. Sure they managed to bring in a bunch of cash one time by ripping people off on the "prerelease sale". But I would bet the growth curve VB has seen over the years will flatten out now, and unless they really get their act together, their customer base will actually start to shrink. That is not good business or "the essence of capitalism".
            Note that I said "As long as customers are not ripped off, then that's a perfectly fair business model.

Further note that this is not commenting on whether that is the case with vB or not.

Comment

• 18 months from Gold or 18 months from when the get the bugs fixed, add back they left out from 3.8 and correct some of the nonsense about not being able to have the CMS in one directory and forums in a subdirectory?
              Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

• Short path to kill vb.org community. Too intensive main releases will kill free extensions.
                Last edited by RadioErewan; Wed 23 Dec '09, 4:59pm.

Comment

• This is not a Gold CMS release its very buggy.

Comment

• From everything I've been reading on different sites, this is far from being ready for release. My recommendation to our clients is going to be to consider dropping VB for other solutions. For what probably 50% of our client base uses VB for, they would be better off with other solutions (which are also now cheaper because of new pricing here). Any large sites with tons of addons, mods, highly customized themes, etc... are in for the roughest ride ever and considering in some cases the amount of work that is going to be required to upgrade it may make more sense to look at other viable solutions.

IB IMHO is killing a great a product and company.

Comment

• Originally posted by dgbaker View Post
                      From everything I've been reading on different sites, this is far from being ready for release. My recommendation to our clients is going to be to consider dropping VB for other solutions. For what probably 50% of our client base uses VB for, they would be better off with other solutions (which are also now cheaper because of new pricing here). Any large sites with tons of addons, mods, highly customized themes, etc... are in for the roughest ride ever and considering in some cases the amount of work that is going to be required to upgrade it may make more sense to look at other viable solutions.

IB IMHO is killing a great a product and company.
                      Except the only other viable alternative has next to no mods.
                      vB4 SuperCharged
                      http://www.gamingmasters.co.uk

Comment

• you know they could bring vB.com and vB.org teams together to make this 4.x.x forums and Suite an even better product.

seriousley you have a communety that does mods and hacks so they know the vB core code blindfolded i am sure. they could help in fixing the bugs make some extra default skins and boost the support team and dev team aswell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkimmortal View Post
                          Except the only other viable alternative has next to no mods.
                          True depending on what your needs are. I can though see that changing quite fast over the next few months especially if things keep going the way they are. Although I have not got into the guts of VB4, I have been hearing that it is also a developers nightmare in some areas. Let's hope this is wrong and IB sees some light.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Anime View Post
                            you know they could bring vB.com and vB.org teams together to make this 4.x.x forums and Suite an even better product.

seriousley you have a communety that does mods and hacks so they know the vB core code blindfolded i am sure. they could help in fixing the bugs make some extra default skins and boost the support team and dev team aswell.
                            Perfect idea and solution.

Comment

• Something like IP Converge is one of the most needed addons for vbulletin

Comment

• I sincerely hope that the IB Management and vBulletin Developers take notice of the votes and get down to fixing this VERY problematic software.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X