Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think vB is ready for the Gold release?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know for those who upgraded (pre-sales or purchase) gold. Since there are so many problems are we going to have to paid again for another upgraded before they fix the major issues?

It kinda like my television we purchase it came with a 1 year warranty we had it to 90+ days and it smoke. It took the Manufacturer 4 month to fix. Now we only had less than 5 month of warranty left.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jdyone View Post
      Does anyone know for those who upgraded (pre-sales or purchase) gold. Since there are so many problems are we going to have to paid again for another upgraded before they fix the major issues?

It kinda like my television we purchase it came with a 1 year warranty we had it to 90+ days and it smoke. It took the Manufacturer 4 month to fix. Now we only had less than 5 month of warranty left.

we do NOT pay for upgrades like in the past. we will NOT pay another dime till 5.0 goes gold that is if we choose to upgrade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Anime View Post
        we do NOT pay for upgrades like in the past. we will NOT pay another dime till 5.0 goes gold that is if we choose to upgrade.
        If they follow the same launch pattern for 4.0, vb5.0 will have nothing to do with stability or features. It will be released on an arbitrary date when they need to generate additional sales. I wouldn't be even partially surprised when this time next year they skip releasing another 4 point version and instead slap the 5.0 moniker on it to generate additional sales. That is how far my faith, confidence and trust has been eroded.

Heres to hoping IB makes me eat my words.
        My Twitterings

Comment

• Don't be surprised if it happens sooner than 12 months from now, that's a long time to wait when your finger is itching to generate more revenue fast once again. I wouldn't be that surprised if we're talking 6 months maybe here, looking at how fast they're flying through each release stage. But it's all hypothetical of course! Anyway, I think a lot will boil down on how much they have made with vBulletin 4 now, and do so over the coming months. Plus their share holders demands for better returns if things have gone much worse than they originally projected sales wise.

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule on this. IB bought vBulletin as an investment to make money, so they will make it were they can when they think the time is right to do so. Or when they feel they have too on behalf of their share holders demands.
          Last edited by MRGTB; Wed 23 Dec '09, 4:56am.

Comment

• If they do release 5.0 within a year, it will be the first time I will not be getting the latest version. ...unless I start putting a few dollars away each month starting now.
            Last edited by cbiweb; Wed 23 Dec '09, 6:10am.
            ~ Life isn't always fair, but you can be. ~

Comment

• Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
              Don't be surprised if it happens sooner than 12 months from now, that's a long time to wait when your finger is itching to generate more revenue fast once again. I wouldn't be that surprised if we're talking 6 months maybe here, looking at how fast they're flying through each release stage. But it's all hypothetical of course! Anyway, I think a lot will boil down on how much they have made with vBulletin 4 now, and do so over the coming months. Plus their share holders demands for better returns if things have gone much worse than they originally projected sales wise.

I don't think there is any hard and fast rule on this. IB bought vBulletin as an investment to make money, so they will make it were they can when they think the time is right to do so. Or when they feel they have too on behalf of their share holders demands.
              With respect, pure speculation. The company themselves have said 12 to 18 months minimum. And of course they bought it to make money, Jelsoft existed to make money as well. That's business. And as long as the product is up to scratch (which, admittedly, at present it isn't in some respects), and the pricing is fair and equitable, then I hope they make loads of it!
              MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
              AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

• Are you now a hidden employee of IB Mark?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
                  With respect, pure speculation. The company themselves have said 12 to 18 months minimum. And of course they bought it to make money, Jelsoft existed to make money as well. That's business. And as long as the product is up to scratch (which, admittedly, at present it isn't in some respects), and the pricing is fair and equitable, then I hope they make loads of it!
                  Which is why I said this in RED

Don't be surprised if it happens sooner than 12 months from now, that's a long time to wait when your finger is itching to generate more revenue fast once again. I wouldn't be that surprised if we're talking 6 months maybe here, looking at how fast they're flying through each release stage. But it's all hypothetical of course! Anyway, I think a lot will boil down on how much they have made with vBulletin 4 now, and do so over the coming months. Plus their share holders demands for better returns if things have gone much worse than they originally projected sales wise.
                  Also, Internet Brands have not said themselves it will be 12-18 months. I've read a comment before made by "Wayne Luke" I think it was, could be wrong. In which he said he thinks that will be the case. But nothing concrete from IB has been put in stone that I've read anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong! And yeah, what you say may very well be the case of 12-18 months. I'm just trying to say it may NOT be the case also. Development has been moving very fast indeed through the Beta, RC stages, to Gold. If that's anything like a guidline to go off. At that kind of pace, 6 months sounds a pretty fair time scale to me personally to expect we might see vB5.

18 months Mark is a very long time, and even more so when you look at the pace there moving at right now. It's not like we're only seeing a new RC release done every 3 months is it? If that was the case, I'd very much agree with you.
                  Last edited by MRGTB; Wed 23 Dec '09, 6:55am.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ramsesx View Post
                    Are you now a hidden employee of IB Mark?
                    Oh, please, let's keep it respectful now.

I'm wobbling right now between cheering on the vbulletin team and pure hate for the CMS, but I'll try to stay objective -

In VB4:
                    + The forum is excellent. The template / Stylevar system is awesome for customization, and has so much potential
                    + The adminCP hasn't changed, which to me is a good thing, and it is still relatively easy to use. Curiously, the most confusing parts are related to the CMS. I'm not sure if I feel that way because it's new, or because it is really a mess. Permissions in particular seem really sketchy, but there's a lot of control too.

- The CMS is just not ready for prime time, but it IS usable. It feels more like an "open source" kinda thing right now, not very polished. If you run a big forum right now, I couldn't recommend it. If you have a new forum, or a small one with not much activity, it's allright.
                    - VB4 is a lot slower in my case. I'm almost sure it was because of the CMS, but speed went from being an absolute 10 (with memcached enabled) to about a 6, or 7 at best. Lots of new features, but I hope there's a lot of optimization to be done because it feels much slower.

For reference my site has about 200-300 users online at peak time, and about 600,000 posts and about 5k active members but the core is about 500.

So my conclusion after a couple of days of using it is: Yes, it's not perfect right now, but things can only get better from now on, and it has SO much good potential. Just don't depend on the CMS for major operations right now.

Comment

• In regards to vbulletin 5.0 (getting a little ahead of ourselves here), I'd be really surprised if it was released in at least 12 months from now. I personally would skip it. But that's another topic, and there's no point discussing it here =)

Comment

• I hope they [IB] are in someway profitable as well, doesn't have to be money - but not at the expense of my own business.
                        Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                        VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                        vBulletin Hosting and Services
                        Server / Website Consultation

Comment

• anyone who still miss the old jelsoft management and the original developers before the disaster came upon this company and bought it?

Comment

• Originally posted by the geek View Post
                            If they follow the same launch pattern for 4.0, vb5.0 will have nothing to do with stability or features. It will be released on an arbitrary date when they need to generate additional sales. I wouldn't be even partially surprised when this time next year they skip releasing another 4 point version and instead slap the 5.0 moniker on it to generate additional sales. That is how far my faith, confidence and trust has been eroded.

Heres to hoping IB makes me eat my words.
                            It's because they have the same money making model every other large corporation in America has. They take over a quality company and just work to squeeze every single last penny out of it they possibly can with no regards to quality, service or satisfaction for the customers. While it's not the same people who did it with the auto industry, it's the same concept to get every single last penny out of the company they can, to become a fat, slow, sloppy and inefficient company along every step of the way.

History repeats itself, so you may want to find something else for dinner besides your words.

They wouldn't have changed the licensing structure if it wouldn't have generated more revenue in their eyes, so even if it is 12-18 months away we can honestly expect to get to what like 4.2 maybe 4.3, perhaps they'll jump a few numbers and go 4.0 -> 4.1 -> 4.5 -> 4.6 just to make it seem like people are getting their $200 yearly license fee worth.

Comment

• Originally posted by maidos View Post
                              anyone who still miss the old jelsoft management and the original developers before the disaster came upon this company and bought it?
                              Of course. If vB4 doesn't make it worth it, I'm outta here. Already dumped one of my licenses.
                              Running vB since 4-14-2002

Comment

• Originally posted by maidos View Post
                                anyone who still miss the old jelsoft management and the original developers before the disaster came upon this company and bought it?
                                Yes!
                                heh

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X