No announcement yet.

Buying 3 vBulletin licenses, but first i have questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't upgrade because i spent a couple of years modifying my forum to add new features and modify existing features. I made a custom template from scratch, i added code to vbulletin php files, and on top of all a BIG part of my forums are based on Mindlestic GlosPro, a mod that isn't available for versions over 3.6.8 if i recall correctly (and anyway i modified it a lot).

And like i said if i'm forced to upgrade i will have to spend days and days to upgrade my custom mods and templates... I'm already paying money to buy a legal license, i don't want to cause myself more trouble.... If i'm forced to chose between exposing my forum to hackers just because i wanted to buy a legal license, or spending days and days to upgrade my custom mods, well i might be better to spend all this time to convert my forum to phpBB, it is the same trouble but at least i'll save $600

The only reason i was buying this license is because i knew if i get caught i would have to spend a lot of time to convert my mods to a free forum like phpBB, but it looks like even if i buy the license i will have to convert all my mods to the new version of VB when converting my forums to a phpBB would be the same trouble...... So well, i will think about it......

Comment

If you are not going to use the new versions of vb, then why not buy 3 used vb 3.x licenses? I would think that they are fairly cheap right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Abomination View Post
        If you are not going to use the new versions of vb, then why not buy 3 used vb 3.x licenses? I would think that they are fairly cheap right now.
        Thought about it, but i'm too scared of getting scammed. Just think how stupid i would look if i lose all the money my forum members gave me

I'm really paranoid, so i'd do it only with a trusted person and we would have to find a mediator to be the intermediate

Note: let's just say that since i have registered here, i got at least 5 different offers from peoples having less than 20 posts and asking me if i want to buy a used licence from them for like less than half the usual price hahahahh

Comment

Originally posted by ungovernable View Post
          I can't upgrade because i spent a couple of years modifying my forum to add new features and modify existing features. I made a custom template from scratch, i added code to vbulletin php files, and on top of all a BIG part of my forums are based on Mindlestic GlosPro, a mod that isn't available for versions over 3.6.8 if i recall correctly (and anyway i modified it a lot).

And like i said if i'm forced to upgrade i will have to spend days and days to upgrade my custom mods and templates... I'm already paying money to buy a legal license, i don't want to cause myself more trouble.... If i'm forced to chose between exposing my forum to hackers just because i wanted to buy a legal license, or spending days and days to upgrade my custom mods, well i might be better to spend all this time to convert my forum to phpBB, it is the same trouble but at least i'll save $600
          Coding style wise, not much changed between 3.6 and 3.8, there are new features. But I bet you if you compared to your current modifications to stock files you could easily get your code out and move it to 3.8 and the templates did not drasticly change either. If you're worried about security, staying on an older version isn't going to help you.

Comment

Thanks for your answers.

I bought my 3 licences and just finished to confirm the URL of my websites.

btw, do i have to pay to get access to vbulletin.org mods ?

not sure what i'll do for the old version problem.... i guess i will take more backups of my DB lol...

Comment

Originally posted by ungovernable View Post
              Thanks for your answers.

I bought my 3 licences and just finished to confirm the URL of my websites.

btw, do i have to pay to get access to vbulletin.org mods ?

not sure what i'll do for the old version problem.... i guess i will take more backups of my DB lol...
              No, register over there using the same email address as you have here. See these notes about registration on there:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/info.php?do=unlicensed
              Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
              -
              *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
              - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X