Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying 3 vBulletin licenses, but first i have questions

I'm going to buy 3 licenses in the next days, but i have a few questions

1) Let's say i am already using a nulled version of vBulletin on the 3 websites. Am i allowed to keep my nulled version if i buy a legal licenses or will i have to use vBulletin's official files ? (which is a lot more trouble considering i would have to rebuild everything from scratch)

2) If i understand correctly, to get the feature of member's blogs (each members are allowed to post blogs in their profile) i have to order the vBulletin Publishing Suite ?

3) Three licenses are sold at 555$US. That's 185$ each instead of 195$ each, but let's say i want to replace one of the 3 licenses by a Publishing Suite, is it possible to buy two licenses at 185$ each and a Publishing Suite license for 235$ ?

4) Let's say one of my forum is using a old version of vBulletin. Since this forum would have a lot of ennemies, i would have obviously removed the "powered by vbulletin" notice so the ennemies of the forum aren't able to google a sql injection code in a few seconds and hack my forum.... Can i get in trouble for doing that?
    It was VERY hard for us to find all the money to buy 3 legal licenses and we had to ask our members to help us. If we did it, it's only because we don't want to start over from scratch. But if i am forced to put a copyright notice that could lead to the hacking of my forum i'm going to have to upgrade, and that would mean losing the custom mods i spent countless nights to make, losing my custom template, everything. That's days and days of work... If we're forced to start over it would be cheaper to look for a free alternative like phpBB or SMF....

We really can't afford to spend one more dollar on this and of course don't want our forum to get hacked, neither do we want to start over because we need to upgrade..... Like i said it was very hard for us to raise this money, our members are very poor and this is a non-profit website (we already lose money paying server costs)

Is there a solution for peoples in my situation ?

Thanks

oh and another question: can i pay with euros without paying conversion fees ?

Comment

Hi there.

I'll try answer some of your questions here for ya.

1) Nulled versions - if you are using nulled versions, then you would certainly be best to upgrade to the official files. Note that the nulled versions are illegal, and you can be prosecuted for having them. The other thing is that the official versions are up to date, which, if you are concerned about hacking as you state later in your post, means you will have less security worries.

2) Yes, this is correct.

3) Yes, this should be possible AFAIK

4) Removing the copyright notice is actually a breach of the terms and conditions of sales of the vBulletin software. Now, as of today, there are no SQL injection flaws that allow people to compromise your site as far as i know, so you should be fairly safe having it there - I do, and I've never had any issues. However, you can buy a branding free option, but this will cost you extra, but if you really are that concerned, it may be worth looking into.

For the custom mods and skins, the safest thing to do is assume that they won't carry over at all. However, depending on the type of mods that you have, some may, and others may be included in the standard vB4 features or available over on vB.org in the modding section. Skinning, unfortunatly, will have to be done from scratch, but the stylevars are efficient and quick to master the use of.

In regard to not being hacked... vBulletin is certainly one of the most secure boards on the web, so that certainly counts for something - I wouldn't be overly worried at the site being compromised unless you have a very pissed off set of black hat hackers coming at you. If that's the case... then you really do need to be worried and even think about taking legal action.

As for the Euros - i'm not sure on this count sorry.

Comment

Like i said i am using a very old version of vB. Old versions are not supported and usually have security issues

For nulled versions, i'm pretty sure i have read on this board that it's okay as long as you buy a real license, but i'd want a confirmation from vB admins.

Yes i know, nulled versions are bad, can have security issues, and all the usual stuff. But i really want to keep it, like i said if i have to start everything over it's just not worth it....

The custom skin i am talking about is a skin i made from scratch. No way to update it instead of starting all over from scratch, same thing with the numerous custom mods i spent days and days to code.

Comment

You may be able to access legitimate versions of the files for the version of vB you are running - not sure on this count. You do continue to receive security updates i think - don't quote me though.

If that's the case with both the custom mods and skins, then it could be a difficult few days of work ahead of you, sorry.

Comment

Even if i get access to the legitimate files for my current version, i can't use them unless i start over from scratch again. Like i said i have a lot of mods and custom mods, and i even modified vBulletin's php files.

I don't feel like doing the work again just because i have a nulled version. If i bought the license then it should solve the problem, i don't know why Jelsoft would care what kind of files i use, as long as i paid for the license...

Comment

One more question :

One of my forum have 2 different domain names to access it, but it's the same name
              let's say i own www.vbulletin.com and www.v-bulletin.com but the two domains redirect to the same website with the same installation of vb.... will i need a license for each domain ??

in other words is it 1 license per domain or 1 license per installation

Comment

I can answer that one.

One license per installation essentially - if, like you say, they redirect to the same place, then you're fine with one license.

Comment

Originally posted by ungovernable View Post
                  One more question :

One of my forum have 2 different domain names to access it, but it's the same name
                  let's say i own www.vbulletin.com and www.v-bulletin.com but the two domains redirect to the same website with the same installation of vb.... will i need a license for each domain ??

in other words is it 1 license per domain or 1 license per installation
                  You can have dozens of domains linking to one of your installs, and you are legit as far as content presented to visitors from different domains remains same. BTW there is mod for presenting different forums to visitors from different domains and you should buy license for every domain when using it.

Comment

Will vBulletin staff answer my questions or what ??

Do vBulletin staff read this forum ? Is there a way to talk to them ?

Comment

Originally posted by ungovernable View Post
                      Will vBulletin staff answer my questions or what ??

Do vBulletin staff read this forum ? Is there a way to talk to them ?
                      You can open a ticket by emailing [email protected], however, it is the weekend.
                      Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                      VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                      vBulletin Hosting and Services
                      Server / Website Consultation

Comment

1.I don't understand why you think you'd need to rebuild anything from scratch... but yes you can continue to use your nulled files if you would like, but we won't recomend it, or support it.

2. Yes, you'll need to use the suite and vBulletin 4 to get the blogs as of now.

3. I do not believe so, discounts on licenses apply to licenses of the same type. The suite presale license is heavily discounted.

4. You'll need to purchase branding free license if you want to remove the powered by vBulletin statement. Also, just because it doesn't show won't mean your enemy's are not smart enough to find an exploit and use it. Security though obsecurity is not security.

I'm curious why you think you need to start from scratch just to upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                          1.I don't understand why you think you'd need to rebuild anything from scratch... but yes you can continue to use your nulled files if you would like, but we won't recomend it, or support it.
                          This has always been one of the interesting bits about vB....that they take a pragmatic approach, someone who has previously pirated the software but has now bought a license, they just say "if you really want to keep those nulled files, feel free, since you have now bought a license".

It's a good business practice really...the main aim should be "get the money". I know that sounds awful, but that's what business is all about.
                          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
                          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Customers are free to customize their files, so if that is what they feel like and insit on using, thats fine with us. But we cannot, nor will not support those files or issues. Its always been that way, even before I joined the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                              Customers are free to customize their files, so if that is what they feel like and insit on using, thats fine with us. But we cannot, nor will not support those files or issues. Its always been that way, even before I joined the team.
                              Agreed...and I support that wholeheartedly. It's the best way to be.

I think sometimes people don't realise what a benefit that actually is. Until you've seen the other ways of doing it (such as Zend encoded files <shudder>) it's easy to forget how much flexibility we do have.
                              MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
                              AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X