Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloud Sites platform for Vbulletin

Hello;

Note: I searched for this topic, and while I found several discussions related to Cloud Servers, I found no one that spoke directly of using Cloud Sites.

I am going to be using Vbulletin for a upcoming project. I am switching web providers, and am giving serious consideration to Cloud Sites (not Cloud Servers). Cloud Sites is Mosso's (Rackspace) managed cloud based hosting environment. There is no root or ssh / shell access to the platform, it appears to be somewhat similar to a advanced shared hosting environment.

The requirements I have read for Vbulletin are PHP and mysql, which Cloud Sites supports. Are there any potential issues or limitations with running Vbulletin in the Cloud Sites environment?

Thanks very much for your time and assistance.

Jamie Dolan
    Neenah, WI
    http://jamiedolan.com
    Jamie Dolan
    Neenah, WI
    My VB Forum: Paw Dogs

Bump.

I'm in the same situation of also considering Cloud Sites for vBulletin hosting with the added aspect of also wanting to use aMember.

Comment

No, however, most people haven't found any benefits (if any) in using cloud hosting. Mosso, to mention, has regular downtime -> to annoy your potential visitors + current members.
      Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
      VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
      vBulletin Hosting and Services
      Server / Website Consultation

Comment

Originally posted by deuterium View Post
        No, however, most people haven't found any benefits (if any) in using cloud hosting. Mosso, to mention, has regular downtime -> to annoy your potential visitors + current members.
        It does seem they have more "glitches" in their history than you would hope for a product at that level. My shared hosting provider has have very little downtime, but I know they are not going to scale up to the level I need a service to be at. What providers are being used with Vbulletin that have a really good uptime / service record?
        Jamie Dolan
        Jamie Dolan
        Neenah, WI

Comment

Originally posted by jamiedolan View Post
          It does seem they have more "glitches" in their history than you would hope for a product at that level. My shared hosting provider has have very little downtime, but I know they are not going to scale up to the level I need a service to be at. What providers are being used with Vbulletin that have a really good uptime / service record?
          Jamie Dolan
          There are lots, I here urljet.com is used, orangehosting.ca is becomming quite popular with vB forums.

Any service will fit vBulletin. All of my vB sites are hosting on my dedicated server, so I have overall control.
          Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
          VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
          vBulletin Hosting and Services
          Server / Website Consultation

Comment

There are lots, I here urljet.com is used, orangehosting.ca is becomming quite popular with vB forums.

Any service will fit vBulletin. All of my vB sites are hosting on my dedicated server, so I have overall control.
            Running on your own server do you run into any problem from bursts of traffic / use, or do you have enough capacity that you don't run into problems?
            Jamie
            Jamie Dolan
            Neenah, WI

Comment

most people haven't found any benefits (if any) in using cloud hosting
              I found one major benefit; scaling. A previous site of mine experienced major growth over the course of a few months. My host at the time was good, but I was running out of resources and would need to upgrade plans. I did that a few times before just moving over to the Rackspace Cloud. From that point forward, I never had memory issues with Apache because my site consumed so many resources. The processing power of the cloud enabled my site to respond during peak times without "database errors" from vBulletin. For me, moving to their cloud product was the best decision I ever made.

Regarding the "regular downtime"... I'm not sure where that comment comes from. As someone who personally used the service from when it was Mosso to being acquired by Rackspace, downtime was no more an issue than any other hosting provider I've come across. And if you're curious, I had a very large and highly visited site. I would immediately go with Rackspace again if my next venture gets to that level.
              Console Racing Review

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Stewart View Post
                I found one major benefit; scaling. A previous site of mine experienced major growth over the course of a few months. My host at the time was good, but I was running out of resources and would need to upgrade plans. I did that a few times before just moving over to the Rackspace Cloud. From that point forward, I never had memory issues with Apache because my site consumed so many resources. The processing power of the cloud enabled my site to respond during peak times without "database errors" from vBulletin. For me, moving to their cloud product was the best decision I ever made.

Regarding the "regular downtime"... I'm not sure where that comment comes from. As someone who personally used the service from when it was Mosso to being acquired by Rackspace, downtime was no more an issue than any other hosting provider I've come across. And if you're curious, I had a very large and highly visited site. I would immediately go with Rackspace again if my next venture gets to that level.
                It good to hear of your positive experience. Rackspace has had some downtime on cloud sites, as recently as a couple days ago. As a new customer, seeing that downtime was not reassuring. The ability to scale up rapidly was very important to me. I have heard about and see too many cases where someone gets put on digg or a similar site and the traffic takes down the site. I really don't want to have to deal with that for my forum or any of my sites. I really hope everything continues to go well at Rackspace and that they correct the things that caused the recent down time.

Thanks
                Jamie Dolan
                Jamie Dolan
                Neenah, WI

Comment

i use siteground.com little downtime at all there (for me at least) they keep current with mysql and php versions.

Comment

Bringing this Topic back to the life

Bringing this Topic Back to the life,

Every one talked about performance and uptime. Few talked about Memory issues and all that.
                    can someone comment on the financial benefit?

Right now, I guess, an average Dedicated server which can run a Busy VBulletin site properly can cost around 150$s.

This compared to Cloud hosting Price - is what - Costly or Cheaper?

Please do consider the fact that many a times, Vbulletin sites grow real fast than any other sites because of the quality product.

Comment

Originally posted by notrick View Post
                      Right now, I guess, an average Dedicated server which can run a Busy VBulletin site properly can cost around 150$s.

This compared to Cloud hosting Price - is what - Costly or Cheaper?

Please do consider the fact that many a times, Vbulletin sites grow real fast than any other sites because of the quality product.
                      I don't know where the cut off point is that you want to move to a dedicated from a cloud server.

Is that on a VPS or a physical dedicated server?

What do you get in terms of resources on a $150 /mo server? I know what the specs look like on a $150/mo VPS (they are pretty generous if you want to manage the vps yourself), but I assume you get much less on a dedicated server at the same cost.

Jamie
                      Jamie Dolan
                      Neenah, WI

Comment

For $150 you can get a pretty good dedicated server. I used to have a dedicated server with 4GB Ram, Core2Duo 2.0 Processor and 250GB HDD and 3000GB traffic for about $130. Now my server costs me $165 with double those parameters and 10,000GB bandwidth. My site is pretty busy with 400-500 concurrent users and it works pretty good.
                        Speed up your member list page by at least 5x (4.x.x)

http://nicknameregister.com/files/20...0/ShyGuy82.jpg

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X