Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vB4 and Wordpress db integration

Hi all

I'm rebuilding my site with wordpress and have just purchased vB to act as the forum component.

I've just purchased vB and I'm just about to install however wondered what was the best practice regarding databases.

Should vB and wordpress use a different db instance or can they use the same one ?? What is the preferred route ?

Also as a side note, could anyone point me in the direction of vB and Wordpress integration. I've seen the 3.x integration posts, anything on 4 ?

We do not provide any intergration support. You'll need to contact the author of the bridge if there is one.

Comment

If you're building a new site, why not build it with the CMS/Forum? I love Wordpress as much as the next guy, but having one platform will make things easier on you as the admin.

Comment

Originally posted by cmeinck View Post
        If you're building a new site, why not build it with the CMS/Forum? I love Wordpress as much as the next guy, but having one platform will make things easier on you as the admin.
        I had the same question on my mind as If I just use the CMS/Forum, will I lose some of the good things in Wordpress. Actually I have already bought vb too but am considering to integrate Wordpress still.

Comment

Originally posted by cmeinck View Post
          cmeink,

Wordpress is far and away the best CMS out there. It's extremely simple to use, there are thousands of plugins, it's search engine friendly, and completely customizable. Nothing against the CMS in the Vbulletin suite, but if the forum is not the main aspect of your site, I don't think the cms in the suite is your answer. If your site centers completely around your forum, then the CMS from VB is probably your best bet because it's already integrated with vbullettin's userbase, posts, and all of that. If you want to pull that stuff to your home page and other pages, and have an integrated blog, VB might be the best solution.

Ideally for me, I could integrate the latest version of wordpress multi user with the latest version of vbulletin and I'd be set.
          Sports Betting
          Nursing Jobs
          Fish Finders

Comment

Not being a "coder" my biggest challenge is integrating the wordpress theme with the vb theme. I love wordpress but I am thinking about using the VBCMS mainly because the theme integration.
            | Rancho Murieta |

Comment

I use to use wordpress however the intergration for wordpress available on vb.org they needed to be in the same directory etc and although I loved my themes and plugins ( I purchased alot of paid themes w/ branding free and paid for alot of paid addons) I made the change to vBulletin CMS mainly because although the CMS is new and not as feature packed as their competitors the vBulletin team has really revolutionized forum component and all we can do is have faith that they do not abandon this like they did with Project Tools.

One main issue I can bring up about WordPress and integration with vBulletin is if you wanted to have domain.com and domain.com/forums many members were confused with the
              registration options on wordpress and the registration options on vBulletin especially with the previous version on wordpress they had issues with turning the user registration off -if you clicked not to allow the public to register it actually wouldn't turn the option off.

No doubt (well hopefully) vb.org will be adding a vBCMS modification/template edits/addon section so over the coming weeks/months the coders out there will be able to create widgets /"plug-ins" that will assist us in making our websites/cms systems better.

And to the defence of the IB/vB team (from all the slack they have copped) WordPress/Joomla etc did not start at the top of the table when it came to blog/cms either they all started had issues and over time built up into what they are - the vBulletin team can and probably will do the same.

Comment

Wordpress isn't that hard to make themed to your forum
                Originally posted by mmcguire View Post
                Not being a "coder" my biggest challenge is integrating the wordpress theme with the vb theme. I love wordpress but I am thinking about using the VBCMS mainly because the theme integration.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X