Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do i find out if vB is fake?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How do i find out if vB is fake?

    Hello,

    I run a webhost and have a list of all the accounts on my server using vB and i have access to all their files. I wanted to know how i could find out if they are using a real or nulled version, is there somewhere that stores something like a key?

    Thanks.

  • #2
    no as vbulletin doesn't give out any type of license key... just report any that you think maybe fake to vbulletin piracy department and they will investigate.
    ------------------------------------------
    Steve
    DM Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    CN Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    TheFaFClan Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
    Audi Spirit Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)

    Comment


    • #3
      So there is pretty much no way for me to find out if they are using nulled copies?

      And they wonder why there is so many people using nulled copies?

      I dont even know how to contact the piracy department because there are no links anywhere on the whole site! (vB)

      Comment


      • #4
        http://www.vbulletin.com/piracy.php


        its available on their site go to www.vbulletin.com scroll all the way to the bottom and you will see along the bottom:




        Click on the one that says Piracy
        ------------------------------------------
        Steve
        DM Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
        CN Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
        TheFaFClan Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)
        Audi Spirit Mobile Lite (iTunes)(Android)(Blackberry)

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by umarsa View Post
          I run a webhost and have a list of all the accounts on my server using vB and i have access to all their files. I wanted to know how i could find out if they are using a real or nulled version, is there somewhere that stores something like a key?
          Why would you wanna check for that? The burden falls on vBulletin, not on you unless you are trying to get their license numbers for malicious purposes. You already told us you have full access to their files.

          Could you please tell the name under which you operate a webhost, so I'll never sign up for your services.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by umarsa View Post
            Hello,

            I run a webhost and have a list of all the accounts on my server using vB and i have access to all their files. I wanted to know how i could find out if they are using a real or nulled version, is there somewhere that stores something like a key?

            Thanks.
            So you own a web hosting company and you want to find out the customers of yours who are using nulled vbulletin license??? Do you really have anything else to do now? I doubt you don't.

            vBulletin will take care of this matter not you. Your job as webhosting's owner or webhosting's admin is to Suspend the accountsof those who are using nulled vbulletin license after you get an email of vBulletin reported so.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kyrgyz View Post
              Why would you wanna check for that? The burden falls on vBulletin, not on you unless you are trying to get their license numbers for malicious purposes. You already told us you have full access to their files.

              Could you please tell the name under which you operate a webhost, so I'll never sign up for your services.
              Why would i want their license numbers? Seriously? Any host has access to your files.

              I perform a routine check for nulled scripts and bad scripts like Rapidleech and suspend the users. I just wanted to know if i could find out how to tell the difference between nulled and real.

              I like to help companies get rid of all these people who install nulled scripts. Im not just going to sit back and let them use it, i code PHP scripts and i know how awful that would be.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by kyrgyz View Post
                Why would you wanna check for that? The burden falls on vBulletin, not on you unless you are trying to get their license numbers for malicious purposes. You already told us you have full access to their files.

                Could you please tell the name under which you operate a webhost, so I'll never sign up for your services.
                Completely agree with you He is trying to ask where and what file contains the key so check if the license is nulled or not while I am pretty sure He knows that He can not check whether the license key is valid lol. I am guessing he wants to collect vBulletin License's license key

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by jackph View Post
                  Completely agree with you He is trying to ask where and what file contains the key so check if the license is nulled or not while I am pretty sure He knows that He can not check whether the license key is valid lol. I am guessing he wants to collect vBulletin License's license key
                  Alright, lets go with your accusations. Im guessing that the key locks to a certain domain, IP and MAC address, so what use would they be to me?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by umarsa View Post
                    Alright, lets go with your accusations. Im guessing that the key locks to a certain domain, IP and MAC address, so what use would they be to me?
                    It's much more simple. vBulletin has all customers data on their customer area. Everyone has to enter their vBulletin URL and name. If they get a report from a license who someone believes to be fake, they check under their customer's area vbulletin urls and if it's not there, they proceed to take it down. No need for crazy IP, MAC addresses or stuff like that.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Since you have a list of all the accounts on your server using vB, report all of them to vBulletin as piracy suspects. This way you'll find out for good who runs legit or nulled. I am pretty sure vBulletin has plenty of time to accommodate your RobinHoodness. This will give you peace of mind. Finally. No offence, umarsa.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by kyrgyz View Post
                        Since you have a list of all the accounts on your server using vB, report all of them to vBulletin as piracy suspects. This way you'll find out for good who runs legit or nulled. I am pretty sure vBulletin has plenty of time to accommodate your RobinHoodness. This will give you peace of mind. Finally. No offence, umarsa.
                        Lol well i understand it seems a little crazy but i like to help out where i can.

                        When i said i had a list of all sites i meant i have them in the following format:
                        /home/***/public_html/
                        /home/***/public_html/vb/
                        /home/***/public_html/forum/
                        /home/***/public_html/
                        /home/***/public_html/vb/
                        I dont have the URL for their sites, just the paths where they are installed. (found out by a search command)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          To be frank, if my webhoster would be sniffing through my files like that, I'd be outraged and terminate the service instantly.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Rhyaehar View Post
                            To be frank, if my webhoster would be sniffing through my files like that, I'd be outraged and terminate the service instantly.
                            Its what you get when you join a free host and you agree that we can do this. (as per the TOS)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              If you really are concerned, then just ask the owners of the site - wouldn't that be the logical thing to do?

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X