Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vbulletin 4 and ads specific to certain subforums?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Vbulletin 4 and ads specific to certain subforums?

    edited.
    Last edited by Morgin; Mon 10 Dec '12, 11:31am.

  • #2
    I believe you can do what you want to do. I can't get it to work in the beta yet, but you have a lot of definable flexibility in where ads show up in vB4, and you can drop any html into the ad blocks. I use PhpAdsNew, which is the predecessor to OpenX. Like I said, I haven't been able to get it to work, but it looks like its all in there.
    Mikey
    PDAPhoneHome ... Get Converged! / NortheastFoto ... Get Imaged!

    Comment


    • #3
      What you want to do is easily accomploshed using template conditionals, in vB4 the same as in vB3.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by cellarius View Post
        What you want to do is easily accomploshed using template conditionals, in vB4 the same as in vB3.
        Would it be possible to explain a little bit more about "template conditionals"? I am not familiar with this feature.

        Comment


        • #5
          That's basically if-then functionality used in the templates that's very flexible and a pretty mighty tool.

          I won't offer you code examples however, since we're in presales here, and that would be for the support forums (where you have to be licensed to post).

          Comment


          • #6
            Well you don't even need to do template conditionals... there is a whole Ad Manager in vB 4.0 that lets you pick from a plethora of conditions for your ad placements...

            Placement on -
            Global
            Forum
            Board
            Thread
            Archive

            Multiple locations on each of those pages

            Then conditionals for users -
            Group
            Browsing Currently
            Style
            Visits
            Posts
            Reputation
            PMs
            Where they came from
            Date
            Time

            Together with an ad server, this will be pretty powerful for managing use of ads on the site.
            Mikey
            PDAPhoneHome ... Get Converged! / NortheastFoto ... Get Imaged!

            Comment


            • #7
              edited.
              Last edited by Morgin; Mon 10 Dec '12, 11:32am.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mccollin View Post
                Well you don't even need to do template conditionals... there is a whole Ad Manager in vB 4.0 that lets you pick from a plethora of conditions for your ad placements...

                Placement on -
                Global
                Forum
                Board
                Thread
                Archive

                Multiple locations on each of those pages

                Then conditionals for users -
                Group
                Browsing Currently
                Style
                Visits
                Posts
                Reputation
                PMs
                Where they came from
                Date
                Time

                Together with an ad server, this will be pretty powerful for managing use of ads on the site.
                What I've found looking at the 3.8 mods is that a lot of them want to be your only ad manager, so you upload ads directly into vbulletin and it takes care of priority and all that.
                What I use right now and what I'd ideally like would be to keep using openx, as it has great reporting tools for the client, and just use the invocation code it generates for each ad placement as the html for an ad in the vbulletin ad manager. That is, a series of ads is served by openx with various conditions, ad manager just picks up that code and sticks it in the appropriate place with the appropriate forum conditions. Then openx would hopefully pick up on page impressions and all that as it normally did.

                Comment


                • #9
                  From what I understand from your issue, you should be able to do what you want. In the ad manager you have all kinds of control see mccollin post.

                  All you need to do is drop the ad html in the area you want, set the conditionals and then they will display. So if you wanted it for "forum a" you would select "User browsing forum a" put one ad there. Then create another ad, with your other code, and set the conditionals to show everywhere but "forum a"

                  Hope that answers your question.

                  If I have a spare minute or two, I'll try and write up a blog about using the ad manager.
                  Andrew Elkins
                  Former vBulletin Developer

                  Please do not PM me for support, please use the support system.

                  #1 rule before doing anything to a live site, Backup, Test and Re-Test.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Morgin View Post
                    What I've found looking at the 3.8 mods is that a lot of them want to be your only ad manager, so you upload ads directly into vbulletin and it takes care of priority and all that.
                    What I use right now and what I'd ideally like would be to keep using openx, as it has great reporting tools for the client, and just use the invocation code it generates for each ad placement as the html for an ad in the vbulletin ad manager. That is, a series of ads is served by openx with various conditions, ad manager just picks up that code and sticks it in the appropriate place with the appropriate forum conditions. Then openx would hopefully pick up on page impressions and all that as it normally did.
                    I use the same ad server... I have a dedicated server running OpenAds which is the same thing you are running... different version. I tested the vBulletin Ad Manager with serving an Ad from OpenAds that was actually an iFrame rotating ad, and it worked fine. If it will do that, then it should do any of the ad codes from OpenX. Iframes are usually what breaks things if anything will. I haven't been able to do a lot of testing because the Ad Manager is barely limping right now... most of the times the ads aren't serving, but when they do they work fine. I'm sure it will be fine when they have the beta fixed... so I think you'll be able to do exactly what you want to do with vB4 and OpenAds... and the configuration is pretty simple on the vB4 side. I'm actually very impressed with it, assuming they get it working. You can even drop ads into the content of threads which lets you use those higher paying square ads.
                    Mikey
                    PDAPhoneHome ... Get Converged! / NortheastFoto ... Get Imaged!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mccollin View Post
                      I use the same ad server... I have a dedicated server running OpenAds which is the same thing you are running... different version. I tested the vBulletin Ad Manager with serving an Ad from OpenAds that was actually an iFrame rotating ad, and it worked fine. If it will do that, then it should do any of the ad codes from OpenX. Iframes are usually what breaks things if anything will. I haven't been able to do a lot of testing because the Ad Manager is barely limping right now... most of the times the ads aren't serving, but when they do they work fine. I'm sure it will be fine when they have the beta fixed... so I think you'll be able to do exactly what you want to do with vB4 and OpenAds... and the configuration is pretty simple on the vB4 side. I'm actually very impressed with it, assuming they get it working. You can even drop ads into the content of threads which lets you use those higher paying square ads.
                      Fixed a few more things in the ad manager in Beta 4, if you find things that are broken please post them in the bug tracker. That's the only way we can get it in the queue to fix.
                      Andrew Elkins
                      Former vBulletin Developer

                      Please do not PM me for support, please use the support system.

                      #1 rule before doing anything to a live site, Backup, Test and Re-Test.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Will do... right now its biggest problem is that I've only gotten it to show an ad for about 5 minutes this morning... I was told by someone else that it was a bug so I didn't go looking any further.
                        Mikey
                        PDAPhoneHome ... Get Converged! / NortheastFoto ... Get Imaged!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          edited.
                          Last edited by Morgin; Mon 10 Dec '12, 11:32am.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Andrew Elkins View Post
                            Fixed a few more things in the ad manager in Beta 4, if you find things that are broken please post them in the bug tracker. That's the only way we can get it in the queue to fix.
                            I love the way the new ad manager is set up but do you know if there are any plans to improve it in the near future? For instance, in the thread option you only have the ability to place ads inside the first and last post. After the first post is a very popular spot as well as after the last post and above the quick reply box. I’d also like to see the ability to place ads at the top of specific forums.
                            HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
                            Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
                            iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
                            VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Thanks, we use OpenX also and have missed being able to serve forum specific ads. It's what our clients want. One work around is you can add the add code in on the main forum index page under the forum name. It then shows up there and when you open the forum at the top. The only drawback is if you don't want banners showing on your main forum index page for all the forums.

                              VB 3.82 here.

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X