Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying vB4 close to vB5 release?

Hello,

I am quiet intrigued about this question. If I were to buy vB4, say... 5 - 3 months before the release of vB5, how would the pricing apply? Would I be actually purchasing the software in the next 5 - 3 months for an upgrade price of $160? Or will there be a pro-rated upgrade price available?

How are you guys going to deal with this? I am actually interested in getting a license, but to be honest, I am a bit scared at any weird pricing structure pulls in the near future and I'm not feeling too safe about it, even thought I would purchase it now, I just want to know I will be treated fairly in the future.

Regards

Anybody from IB/vB could answer me this question?

Thanks!

Comment

Major VB releases (2, 3, 4, 5?) are several years apart. In 3-5 months you may see 4.1 which will probably be hundreds of bug fixes and optimizations. You have nothing to worry about.

Comment

Indeed, but that is not my question though.

Comment

Maybe there will be an upgrade discount, but you will have to pay for 5.x license type to get version 5. Just how customers need to pay for version 4 license type now, even if they purchased version 3 only a month ago.

Comment

That definitely discourages me from buying any type of license, so I guess I'll move on to another software.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucas View Post
              That definitely discourages me from buying any type of license, so I guess I'll move on to another software.
              I don't see how that is any different than most software you buy. When I bought XP I did not automatically get Vista when it came out.
              | Rancho Murieta |

Comment

Anybody from IB/vB could answer me this question?

Thanks!
                Anything they could tell you now could totally change by the time 5.0 comes out. This is why you will not get a confirmation from them.

Several people came forward after the 'change', saying they had been told various things about pricing, that was correct at the time they had asked, but had since changed.
                My Live vB5 Site - NZEating.com
                vBulletin Hosting | vBulletin Services - Need hosting for your vB? Need it installed? Something else? Let me take that hassle off your hands.

Comment

Originally posted by mmcguire View Post
                  I don't see how that is any different than most software you buy. When I bought XP I did not automatically get Vista when it came out.
                  Actually, if you got it in July or afterwards, you had a free upgrade to Windows 7 on OEMs. Plus, you actually get an *UPGRADE* pricing for less than half of the full price of the software, plus vBulletin is not even close to a software as big as an OS, so it shouldn't be compared, and even thought you are comparing, Microsoft offers a much more accessible way of upgrading, prices and license terms.

Comment

Hello,

I am quiet intrigued about this question. If I were to buy vB4, say... 5 - 3 months before the release of vB5, how would the pricing apply? Would I be actually purchasing the software in the next 5 - 3 months for an upgrade price of $160? Or will there be a pro-rated upgrade price available?
                    Honestly it's far too early to be speculating about pricing that far in advance. Even if we gave an answer based on an educated guess, it would be meaningless since this can change before that time arrives.
                    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment