This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Biker View Post
    I purchased a new notebook in April and it had Vista on it. I do not qualify for the "free" upgrade to Windows 7. I accept that as bad timing on my part. So what if your license is 7 months old. Like my notebook, it falls outside of the range of the promo and you just need to suck it up and quite whining about it. Guess what? Life isn't fair, never has been, and never will be. You can still update the forum software for free when it's finally released, however, your license will not change. To me, that sounds fair enough.
    Right on the money.
    Pixel Playground
    vB Skins.. Supplying Skins for the little guys....lol

Comment

Originally posted by YZFRydn View Post
      Think you're missing the point on this statement. He was referencing how recently he paid for his full license and the date of vB4 release. I could have purchased a new computer back in July (Equivalent to getting a new vB 3.8.x license) and then upgraded for FREE (lifetime support for Windows 7). Regardless of whether or not you had to get a new computer, it is the fact that the person purchased software, and then 5 months later it was being replaced by a new release of the software. Paying $180 5 months ago and then being pretty much forced to pay $160 or else $200+ for publishing suite is a little bit ridiculous if you ask me. Those of us in this situation should have been given a bigger discount but there is nothing we can do about it. Had I known vB 4 was going to be released five months after my purchase, I would have waited 5 months. And saved myself money.
      I'm not missing the point. There is not really a difference between what Microsoft is doing and what Vbulletin is. Because a new computer costs more than Windows 7 does. So you're not getting any discount. A new license for vb4 costs 195, during the original presale you could buy it for 130 for a discount of 65 dollars. Windows 7 doesn't really add many new features to Vista, it's just a cleaned up version of Vista with less bugs and more compatibility.

The vbulletin Publishing Suite is a new software, so I can understand them charging more. And if you had an owned license which you just bought you can upgrade the forums for free, and you'd have had to pay the cost of renewal eventually anyways. Which is exactly the same offer Microsoft is offering.

And noone is forcing you to buy into the presale. You can wait until your license expires and continue running the last updated version indefinitely.
      sigpic

Jihen Theory - Anime news, reviews and torrent tracker.

Comment

OK....dont blast me!
        We purchased VB3 about 13 days ago....should we have waited until VB4? or are we eligible for the same benefits of VB4 when it comes out then if I had waited until now to purchase?

Comment

Originally posted by wolfey View Post
          OK....dont blast me!
          We purchased VB3 about 13 days ago....should we have waited until VB4? or are we eligible for the same benefits of VB4 when it comes out then if I had waited until now to purchase?
          If you bought a license two weeks ago it is a vB4 license. The old licenses (as in vB3) have not been available for about 4 weeks. Or didn't you buy here but a used license?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Moore View Post
            I swear, do you guys not read entire posts? I am not worried about the promo, I understand it being charged for expired but when told for an active license you get free upgrade. The purchase page is supposed to handle that from what I understood but now it wants me to pay $175.
            VB4 isn't out yet. When they release it, if you have an active license it will allow you to download vb4 at no charge.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Moore View Post
              initial vB 4.0 and telling us upgrade is free then their system wanting us to pay $175 to upgrade an ACTIVE license is not only contradictive but unfair.

Don't get me wrong on my expired license, yes I have 2 licenses, I will gladly pay the discounted amount to upgrade it as I want to have both licenses and its worth it but shelling out $180 for an owned license then having to pay another $175 only 7 months later is not right plus he stated $160 when their system is charging $210 for suite upgrade on an ACTIVE license.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37635[/ATTACH]

Attachment clearly shows what I am referring to, you can see I have an active license on bottom and non-active on top.
              No, you are wrong.

You are not going to get vb4 free when it comes out even though you UPGRADED your previous vb3 license to an OWNED license. The owned license allows you to run 3.8.x indefinitely, where as a leased license would not. An OWNED license does not entitle you to future upgrades past 3.8.x. If you want to run Vb4 you will need to purchase a VB4 license. But since you're an active license holder, they will give you a small discount.

HOWEVER, they are offering a "FREE" Upgrade to vb4 if anyone purchases a NEW vb4 license (like i did). When you purchase a NEW license (all licenses are now owned licenses, which is why it's $195/250 now), you are allowed to run vb 3.8.x because VB4 is not released. HOWEVER when vb4 is released you can legally download vb4 and upgrade your forums and continue to run vb4 until the end of time.

If you want to reference it to Windows vista/7, it would be most similar to how dell was selling computers 4-5 months ago.

If you purchased a computer before June 26th, 2009, you would not be able to get Windows 7 for free, from Dell.

If you waited 4 hours for June 26th until October 21st, you would be sent a copy of Windows 7 for absolutely free.

If you already owned a copy of Windows Vista from 2 years ago, you would not be able to get a free upgrade to Windows 7, but you could have purchased a discounted copy during the promo period at the end of June.

Comment

Originally posted by sweede View Post
                No, you are wrong.

You are not going to get vb4 free when it comes out even though you UPGRADED your previous vb3 license to an OWNED license. The owned license allows you to run 3.8.x indefinitely, where as a leased license would not. An OWNED license does not entitle you to future upgrades past 3.8.x. If you want to run Vb4 you will need to purchase a VB4 license. But since you're an active license holder, they will give you a small discount.

HOWEVER, they are offering a "FREE" Upgrade to vb4 if anyone purchases a NEW vb4 license (like i did). When you purchase a NEW license (all licenses are now owned licenses, which is why it's $195/250 now), you are allowed to run vb 3.8.x because VB4 is not released. HOWEVER when vb4 is released you can legally download vb4 and upgrade your forums and continue to run vb4 until the end of time.
                Actually, almost everything you said is wrong, but never mind

Comment

I'm confused to how almost everything is wrong.

1) the guy isn't getting vb4 free when it's released, which is the whole point of this thread, even though he upgraded his leased license to a fully owned license before the vb4 announcement (which he paid 160$ to do so).
                  2) Owned licenses allow you to run vbulletin indefinitely. a leased license requires you to renew your license or remove their software.
                  3) He did not recently purchase a Vb4 license, he upgraded his vb3 leased to a vb3 owned license. To get vb4 he will need to purchase a vb4 license but he can do so for a short time at a discount.
                  4) If you purchase a new vb license, it is for vb4. they don't offer vb4 yet so they'll give you vb3 and let you upgrade when vb4 is released.
                  5) They do not do leased licenses any more.
                  6) Since vb4 is always going to be an owned licenses, you're allowed to run 1 copy of the software on your website indefinitely.

6 points i made, all 6 are most definitely not wrong.

Comment

IF you already have an active lic you can get vB4 for FREE, you are entitled to ALL updates of the 4.0 series for the term of your 3.8 support (which is 1 year from date of purchase), after that point if you want to continue the updates in the 4.0 series then you will have to purchase an upgrade to the 4.0 scheme. That is the offer if you want forums only, if you want the suite then you have to pay full price for the entire series.

So those of us who have an active lic are able to get 4.0 forums only for free for the remainder of our lic support term, THEN we have to pay to continue, or we are stuck on whatever version we have.

Comment

3) He did not recently purchase a Vb4 license, he upgraded his vb3 leased to a vb3 owned license. To get vb4 he will need to purchase a vb4 license but he can do so for a short time at a discount.
                      See: this is wrong. As long as his old owned license is active, he can download any version of vB that is released until his license expires. This goes for vB4, vB4.1 and so on, as long as his license is active. After his license expires, i.e. after the year of free upgrades he's entitled to, he still can use whatever version he was able to download at the point of expiry. If he wants to get further updates in the vB4 series, he'll need to buy an upgrade.

And: There's no more such things as owned and leased licenses. They don't exist any longer. You should not continue using those terms, as that will confuse people (as it confused you, it seems).

Comment

I'm confused to how almost everything is wrong.

1) the guy isn't getting vb4 free when it's released, which is the whole point of this thread, even though he upgraded his leased license to a fully owned license before the vb4 announcement (which he paid 160$ to do so).
                        2) Owned licenses allow you to run vbulletin indefinitely. a leased license requires you to renew your license or remove their software.
                        4) If you purchase a new vb license, it is for vb4. they don't offer vb4 yet so they'll give you vb3 and let you upgrade when vb4 is released.
                        5) They do not do leased licenses any more.
                        6) Since vb4 is always going to be an owned licenses, you're allowed to run 1 copy of the software on your website indefinitely.

6 points i made, all 6 are most definitely not wrong.
                        1) Which means he is now capable of downloading 4.0 forums only when it is available for free.

2) He could not have gotten a leased lic if he had wanted to anyways.

3) By upgrading his leased lic to an owned lic entitles him to 4.0 forums for free for the remainder of the term under the 3.8 lic (1 year from date of purchase).

4) for NEW purchases yes, which gives the person right to the FULL series of 4.0.

5) DUH

6) DUH... same with the free upgrade from 3.8 for those with an active lic who upgrade for free to 4.0 and there 1 year support runs out, they can run there 4.3 indefinitely or pay to continue.

You had obviously not read a LOT of the threads in the pre-sales section.

Comment

sigh.

His current active vbulletin 3.8 license will allow him to run vbulletin 4.0 software (forums only) until the end of time. if 4.1 isn't released before April 2010, he will have to pay 195$ for the forum license or 235 for the vb4 suite license.

HOWEVER, he will need to purchase a vb 4 license at some time between now and forever if he wants to get updates past April, 2010. When he upgraded his 3.8 leased licensed to an owned license, he could have paid 60$ lease renewal fee, making his current license a leased license that will expire on April 2010.

This is all well documented in the FAQ and a few posts.

The author is complaining that he is being asked to pay $195 because he is upgrading his license after he paid to upgrade the 3.8 from lease to an owned license. The fact that he may or may not be able to run vb 4.0 software when it is release is irrelevant to the fact that you have to pay to upgrade his vb3 license to vb4 license.

Just because the terms no longer apply to current vb4 licenses does not mean they never existed.

Comment

sigh.

His current active vbulletin 3.8 license will allow him to run vbulletin 4.0 software (forums only) until the end of time. if 4.1 isn't released before April 2010, he will have to pay 195$ for the forum license or 235 for the vb4 suite license.

HOWEVER, he will need to purchase a vb 4 license at some time between now and forever if he wants to get updates past April, 2010. When he upgraded his 3.8 leased licensed to an owned license, he could have paid 60$ lease renewal fee, making his current license a leased license that will expire on April 2010.
                            It seems as though you are changing your tune a little bit, but now on the same page as those who understand it.

He's not getting hosed. He purchased 1 years worth of all free updates, he will get that.

They are no longer offering yearly renewals, so when your agreement expires, you will have to keep using what you've got (4.0, 4.1, whatever) or purchase a 4.0 license. It's not that confusing people.

Comment

Stop whining! This forum is filled with ungrateful people. If you don't want to use vBulletin anymore, then for the love of god stop paying for it, and don't spam the forums with complaints about your thin wallet! goddamnit

If you are going to use the new versions of vBulletin, then you pay for it. It's as simple as that!

Comment

Originally posted by Garamond View Post
                                Stop whining! This forum is filled with ungrateful people. If you don't want to use vBulletin anymore, then for the love of god stop paying for it, and don't spam the forums with complaints about your thin wallet! goddamnit

If you are going to use the new versions of vBulletin, then you pay for it. It's as simple as that!
                                I like you.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X