This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin 4.0 Forum upgrade

I finally see you are allowing us owned license people to upgrade but you state its free to upgrade but yet I am being charge $175? I just paid not that many months ago $160 or so to get an owned license but yet you want another $175 for me to upgrade? I don't have that kind of money lying around. Maybe a bit more explanation of what you mean by "free" is needed then.

As per this announcement:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315681

...you will be able to download any versions of vB4 Forums up until the expiry date of your license. After that date you can continue running the version you were eligible for. However in order to have access to further updates to vB4 after that time you will need to convert your license to vB4 or vB4 Suite.

It would be better for you cost-wise to take advantage of our limited time offer to upgrade to the Suite at the discounted price of $160. However you are free to wait and either stick with that version of vB4 Forums that was available at the time of expiry or pay more later.

Note: This is not applicable to the vB4 Publishing Suite.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Moore View Post
      I finally see you are allowing us owned license people to upgrade but you state its free to upgrade but yet I am being charge $175? I just paid not that many months ago $160 or so to get an owned license but yet you want another $175 for me to upgrade? I don't have that kind of money lying around. Maybe a bit more explanation of what you mean by "free" is needed then.
      I think you are getting a little confused. You have to pay for the new license which means you will be able to get free upgrades for a lifetime. If it was free we wouldn't have to pay for a license.
      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
      Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson View Post
        I think you are getting a little confused. You have to pay for the new license which means you will be able to get free upgrades for a lifetime. If it was free we wouldn't have to pay for a license.
        His argument is completly valid - as this forum has shown time and time again in the last month or two, and despite legally the vb team are correct, they're treating their customers (who have put food on their table for their families for years now) like ****. His arguement is VALID. We ARE paying twice...and when vb5 comes out THREE times....then 6 FOUR...etc.
        It's an omen...

Comment

When Windows goes from Vista to Win 7, is it provided for free? When you purchase a commercial software package, and it goes from one major version to the next, it's rarely provided as a "freebie" to existing customers. I fail to see why vBulletin users expect otherwise.

As a purchaser of a commercial license, I fully expect I'll have to purchase the next version release. It boggles my mind that some feel they're somehow entitled to a freebie.
          I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbook View Post
            His argument is completly valid - as this forum has shown time and time again in the last month or two, and despite legally the vb team are correct, they're treating their customers (who have put food on their table for their families for years now) like ****. His arguement is VALID. We ARE paying twice...and when vb5 comes out THREE times....then 6 FOUR...etc.
            I still fail to see the big deal about this argument? Haven't you paid for upgrades on just about EVERY piece of licensed software you've ever had?

If anything, it's an improvement and cheaper in the long run. I don't know when vB 3.x hit the ground, but I remember paying the yearly dues to get upgrades. It may be another 3 or 4 years before vb5 drops...and you don't owe anything if you get the suite until 5.0 drops. What's to whine about? I don't understand. I don't understand why people always feel entitled to free stuff. meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbook View Post
              Saying that vbulletin is wrong for charging for their new product is like saying Microsoft is wrong for charging for Windows 7 when we've already bought Vista; or saying that any company is wrong for charging for upgrades.

It's not shady it's not underhanded, it's how the business world works. People gotta make their money somehow, and I'm willing to shell out a couple hundred for vb4, it looks awesome (course I've been with vb3 for quite a number of years now).
              sigpic

Jihen Theory - Anime news, reviews and torrent tracker.

Comment

Originally posted by zomega View Post
                Saying that vbulletin is wrong for charging for their new product is like saying Microsoft is wrong for charging for Windows 7 when we've already bought Vista; or saying that any company is wrong for charging for upgrades.

It's not shady it's not underhanded, it's how the business world works. People gotta make their money somehow, and I'm willing to shell out a couple hundred for vb4, it looks awesome (course I've been with vb3 for quite a number of years now).
                Actually if you read anything on Microsoft, those who purchase any machine with Windows Vista can upgrade to Windows 7 for FREE. My argument is that when I go to upgrade it through their purchase page it wants to charge me on an ACTIVE license when we are not supposed to be charged. I can see the point that with each new major version we pay that is great and cheaper in the long run but for the initial vB 4.0 and telling us upgrade is free then their system wanting us to pay $175 to upgrade an ACTIVE license is not only contradictive but unfair.

Don't get me wrong on my expired license, yes I have 2 licenses, I will gladly pay the discounted amount to upgrade it as I want to have both licenses and its worth it but shelling out $180 for an owned license then having to pay another $175 only 7 months later is not right plus he stated $160 when their system is charging $210 for suite upgrade on an ACTIVE license.

Click image for larger version

Name:	upgrade.png
Views:	1
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	3675730

Attachment clearly shows what I am referring to, you can see I have an active license on bottom and non-active on top.
                Last edited by Mythotical; Wed 11 Nov '09, 8:30pm.

Comment

Actually if you read anything on Microsoft, those who purchase any machine with Windows Vista can upgrade to Windows 7 for FREE.
                  ... which is true for anyone who purchased a PC/laptop from July until the release of Win7. That was due to a promotion MS had, so what vB is doing is similar (free upgrades if you purchased during the promo period. For this issue, we'll say anyone prior to October when vB announced the prices).

Comment

I swear, do you guys not read entire posts? I am not worried about the promo, I understand it being charged for expired but when told for an active license you get free upgrade. The purchase page is supposed to handle that from what I understood but now it wants me to pay $175.

Comment

I swear, do you guys not read entire posts? I am not worried about the promo, I understand it being charged for expired but when told for an active license you get free upgrade. The purchase page is supposed to handle that from what I understood but now it wants me to pay $175.
                      If I'm understanding correctly - that is what is supposed to happen. You're paying to upgrade your license from vB3.x to vB4 - $175.

The free upgrade that is mentioned - is you downloading vB4 from the members area (vB4, of course, isn't released yet), and upgrading your forum installation. At that point, like Steve Machol stated - you can run the vB 4 version you had access to until your vB 3.x license expires; after that, it's $175 to get further vB4 updates and that $175 is good for the life of vB4.
                      Regards,
                      Eric Sizemore

My modifications

Comment

Actually if you read anything on Microsoft, those who purchase any machine with Windows Vista can upgrade to Windows 7 for FREE. My argument is that when I go to upgrade it through their purchase page it wants to charge me on an ACTIVE license when we are not supposed to be charged. I can see the point that with each new major version we pay that is great and cheaper in the long run but for the initial vB 4.0 and telling us upgrade is free then their system wanting us to pay $175 to upgrade an ACTIVE license is not only contradictive but unfair.
                        So let me get this straight, if I buy a whole new computer, then I get Windows 7 for free. Sounds good except the whole buy new computer part. T_T
                        sigpic

Jihen Theory - Anime news, reviews and torrent tracker.

Comment

Originally posted by zomega View Post
                          So let me get this straight, if I buy a whole new computer, then I get Windows 7 for free. Sounds good except the whole buy new computer part. T_T
                          Think you're missing the point on this statement. He was referencing how recently he paid for his full license and the date of vB4 release. I could have purchased a new computer back in July (Equivalent to getting a new vB 3.8.x license) and then upgraded for FREE (lifetime support for Windows 7). Regardless of whether or not you had to get a new computer, it is the fact that the person purchased software, and then 5 months later it was being replaced by a new release of the software. Paying $180 5 months ago and then being pretty much forced to pay $160 or else $200+ for publishing suite is a little bit ridiculous if you ask me. Those of us in this situation should have been given a bigger discount but there is nothing we can do about it. Had I known vB 4 was going to be released five months after my purchase, I would have waited 5 months. And saved myself money.

Comment

The problem is with people who have active lic are going and purchasing an upgrade when they do not have to, unless they want the suite (everything including the CMS), if you want to upgrade to the suite then there is a purchase step you must take. If you have an active lic and want to use just the 4.0 forums you do not need to do anything, you do not need to purchase an upgrade, it is just available for you to download when it is available, and you can run it and get all updates to it as long as your lic is active (1 year from original date of purchase), then if you want updates from that point on you will need to purchase it then.

They have already stated this before.

Comment

Don't get me wrong on my expired license, yes I have 2 licenses, I will gladly pay the discounted amount to upgrade it as I want to have both licenses and its worth it but shelling out $180 for an owned license then having to pay another $175 only 7 months later is not right plus he stated $160 when their system is charging $210 for suite upgrade on an ACTIVE license.
                              I purchased a new notebook in April and it had Vista on it. I do not qualify for the "free" upgrade to Windows 7. I accept that as bad timing on my part. So what if your license is 7 months old. Like my notebook, it falls outside of the range of the promo and you just need to suck it up and quite whining about it. Guess what? Life isn't fair, never has been, and never will be. You can still update the forum software for free when it's finally released, however, your license will not change. To me, that sounds fair enough.
                              I drank WHAT?! - Socrates

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X