No announcement yet.

When is 5.0 expected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be honest, i hope vB 5.0 takes 4 years to get here. Because honestly, i want some long time use out of the vB 4.0/license that i had to fork out more money to get. I dont want to buy the suite and then a year later have to buy a whole license.
    Pixel Playground
    vB Skins.. Supplying Skins for the little guys....lol

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
      vBulletin 5 is the "rollup" release and conclusion of the vB4.0, vB4.1, vB4.2, vB4.3, vB4.4, etc. rewrite process. And it will cost $195 or $285.

Ray Morgan said they intend to be "knocking on the door" of vB5 within 18 months from the release of vB4. This was posted 6 months ago. So 12 months from now.

These are real quotes folks.

now i never said ray never posted that comment about 18 months. i am just saying that is just a guess. look at how 4.0 is being done. they said some time in 2008 then it was supposed to be early 2009 then mid 2009 now it is supposed to be out later this month.

MY POINT WAS JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE SAYS A CERTIAN TIME FRAME DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL HAPPEN. ALSO MY ESTIMATION OF 4 YEARS IS JUST THAT A GUESS JUST LIKE RAYS.

its too bad he can't post and settle this once and for all.

[ edit ]

and if 5.0 doesn't have social networking plugins i will NOT upgrade till i have to. and by then i may not want to maintain my site

[ / edit ]
      Last edited by Mike Anime; Sun 8th Nov '09, 9:44pm. Reason: had to put in a comment

Comment

I rather amused by the tangents of this discussion. I think the real question is quite simply ...

Based on the fact we are paying exclusively for vB4.0, how long can we expect support and bug fix upgrades?

I'm thinking that based on the fact they are essentially charging us relatively more (cost/year) for a new vB4 specific license, that there should be some sort of timeframe commitment regardless of vB5 coming out in 1 year or 5 years!

For example ..

The purchase of a vB4 license comes with vB4 support, free 4.x upgrades and bug fix upgrades for AT LEAST 4 years after vB4 goes gold.

That being said .. I would also highly recommend an additional guarantee such as:

In the case vB5 takes longer than 3 years to reach gold, full vB4 support will guaranteed for at least 365 days after vB5 goes gold.

In the end I think it's not entirely unreasonable for vB to offer a minimum lifespan for vB4 support and bug fixes .. and to tie that time frame only to the release of vB5 is a mistake .. there should be some minimum (so if vB5 gets released before, people will know their vB4 will still be covered).
        Support the option to have forums in social groups:
        http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=252093

Comment

It's a case of no one knows how long you have - asking when the next version is being released (vb5) before vb4 is even released is as patehtic as all the little rants about the cost of it. Ray said 18-24 months before it hits Alpha which could me 30+ months before vb5 goes gold - no one knows, not the staff, not the developers and none of the people on here trying to big note themselves thinking they have the answers it is an impossible question to answer.

Comment

Originally posted by sportsfi View Post
            It's a case of no one knows how long you have - asking when the next version is being released (vb5) before vb4 is even released is as patehtic as all the little rants about the cost of it. Ray said 18-24 months before it hits Alpha which could me 30+ months before vb5 goes gold - no one knows, not the staff, not the developers and none of the people on here trying to big note themselves thinking they have the answers it is an impossible question to answer.
            Exactly what i was saying..
            Pixel Playground
            vB Skins.. Supplying Skins for the little guys....lol

Comment

Yeah I am just getting sick of all the questions etc when you browse this entire board there are people asking if this feature will be added in 5.0 etc etc and it's full on like "Dudes let them get this out first".

I am not holding Ray to any time lines as things change all the time - they could decide to finally do the complete re-write which could then force the release to be delayed - IB could buy out Facebook and want everything completely intergrated lol but anything can happen a month down the track yet alone two years.

I would say you would at least get 12 months out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by JVCode View Post
                Well it would need to be to a substantial overhaul over the vB4.* series, otherwise customers aren't going to budge.
                Not only that - if vB really wants to be in the social networking/CMS software biz they have some pretty good competition that are WAY out front. I know myself that vB will just be a way to transition from no social networking/CMS to a more professionally managed system. If they think I will purchase the same old same old in 2 years, they are mistaken.

Comment

However at least they are trying to expand the horizon, this is their first release and I am sure from 4.1 onwards we will see stark improvements throughout the vBulletin CMS, Social networking elements of the company.

Comment

Originally posted by sportsfi View Post
                    However at least they are trying to expand the horizon, this is their first release and I am sure from 4.1 onwards we will see stark improvements throughout the vBulletin CMS, Social networking elements of the company.
                    Yes, I agree. Kudos to them for making the leap. If they move forward with technology and capabilities with every release, then I will stay on. But if they fool around and make little changes here and there, calling it an "upgrade", well then why wouldn't I just go with another company that is on the cutting edge? There are dozens of them out there, all competing for the same market.

Right now, I am happy with what they have put out. It will work for me and the price is right. I hope that if there is a 5.0 upgrade in 2 years that it blows me off my feet and I am a life long customer. But if not, there are companies that want my business so bad they will move all my files over to a new system as part of the switch. I'm not worried about it. vB can do what they want - I just hope they realize that they are no longer in the forum business and now have little to no edge over other companies in the same market.

Comment

Exactly... Well said SimpleSchooling (I am sure you have a real name but still)

Comment

So 5.0 is going to be the total re-write of the code?

Not being aware of the current code and how it works, what will it be moving to?

Comment

Originally posted by odln018 View Post
                          So 5.0 is going to be the total re-write of the code?

Not being aware of the current code and how it works, what will it be moving to?
                          No. It has been stated probably a hundred times now that the rewrite of the codebase will happen during the 4.x series. No one knows what vB5 will bring. We don't even have vB4 out, and vB5 is, with all probability, two years away. No one knows or can know what exactly it will bring. When the roadmap for the vB4 series is out, we might know more, but I really don't know what the sense of all this speculation could be.

What we know is that Ray said on several occasions that vB5 will in all likeliness happen 18-24 months after vB4, and knowing how software development works, it will probably rather later than sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by cellarius View Post
                            No. It has been stated probably a hundred times now that the rewrite of the codebase will happen during the 4.x series. No one knows what vB5 will bring. We don't even have vB4 out, and vB5 is, with all probability, two years away. No one knows or can know what exactly it will bring. When the roadmap for the vB4 series is out, we might know more, but I really don't know what the sense of all this speculation could be.

What we know is that Ray said on several occasions that vB5 will in all likeliness happen 18-24 months after vB4, and knowing how software development works, it will probably rather later than sooner.
                            Here is what we do know.

1. Ray Morgan may have implied many things with regard to vB5 (obviously subject to change)
                            2. Many people paid for a record number of licenses during Ray's surprise, hyped 2 week presale in October
                            3. vBulletin 4 isn't even out of beta (call it RC, bronze or whatever you want) and Ray Morgan isn't even managing the vBulletin project any more. He has left vBulletin Solutions to build his dream house in Central America.

You're worried about vBulletin 5? This conversation is humorous.
                            My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

we all know by now a complete rewrite of the vB code is in the works if they plan on doing this with the 5.0 series one would think it would take more than two years to finish.

look at the facts of my first sentence vB4.0 was supposed to be out in april of this year and we are in december and still going on with RC's one right after the other one RC fixes bugs and the next one brings new bugs and so on and so fourth (though most bugs are in the Suite not the forums only).

if they are getting this many bugs just with simple addons then a complete rewrite of the CORE code will undoubtley take longer. (i know this here is just a guess) i know when i switched from pure HTML to mix and matching HTML CSS and CGI that i got nothing but problems at first and PHP is another beast entireley.

it does not take a lot to throw an entire PHP code out of whack heck an out of place ";" is all it takes to spit out hundreds of error messages and every time PHP goes through an upgrade the vB team has to relearn how things work with what.

speculating what will happen with vB 5.0 before 4.0 is GOLD is just a waste of time till someone announces that 5.0 is going gold in six months i will not even think about worring about what it will be like.

for all we know IB can decide that vB isnt worth the money and scrap it alltogether with no warning to its staff or clients. who knows?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X