No announcement yet.

I feel screwed by these new licences...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And when the license comes to need to be renewed? Like, when I have to pay the 60 (/40) bucks to renew it, can I renew it then and still get updates on the 4.x forum line? I'm sorry, I'm just really confused. I got all angry about how I was going to have to pay a lot of money to get 4.x and that 3.x was closing in on EOL, and I can get 4.0 for free? This seems promising. Is exactly how this works written down anywhere?

Comment

You would have to purchase a 4.0 license when your license expires or continue using 3.8.X until it reaches end of life. End of Life for 3.8.X is scheduled for when 4.2 is released.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Ah, okay. So I should probably update to suite now then... I don't know. But thanks for clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
          You would have to purchase a 4.0 license when your license expires or continue using 3.8.X until it reaches end of life. End of Life for 3.8.X is scheduled for when 4.2 is released.

Hello VB team I'm also lost but not feeling screwed.

My site uses Version 3.6.4

Can you please give me a link to where I can pay to upgrade to the new suite for $160 when it's released?
          it keeps telling me $235
          Thank you
          AB
          Last edited by annabellesc; Fri 6 Nov '09, 5:31am.

Comment

Have you clicked the Customer Login at the top?

Comment

I have now, the price dropped to $210.

Comment

Actually Wayne, from what I've been told by numerous here is that there is no ability to use 3.8.x until the end of its path if your annual maintenance subscription expires. At that point, a user is left with the choice of (a) upgrading for $175 to vB 4 forum or $210 to vB 4 suite, or (b) remaining stuck at the current version of 3.8.x that they may have had access too, e.g. 3.8.x or 3.6.1 if it expired earlier.
                My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

Just a thought, with this new licensing policy, you're in effect forcing users to purchase a brand new lciense...not a simple upgrade (assuming their current license expired).

Consider that in forcing users to buy a new license of $100+ or $200+ you run the serious risk of steering customers to a crossroads of considering other social networking software options. Is that what you really want??

Comment

First off I am very new to all this and don't understand much. I logged in today to renew my 3.8.x license, it doesn't expire until March but thought I would go ahead now and get it out of the way as not to forget later as well as get the discounted renewal price of $40.

Now I find all this...........Not looking to upgrade to the 4.0 whatever at this time.......at this time I have to hire someone to change things on my website.

Reading through all this I am not sure what is going on or what I am suppose to do.

Do I still have to renew my license for the 3.8.x ?

Comment

Originally posted by glassic View Post
                      ... it doesn't expire until March...
                      Do I still have to renew my license for the 3.8.x ?
                      No more renewals.
                      Until March you can download the new versions.
                      After that you have to buy a licence to use any newer versions.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

As part of the switchover to vB 4 Forums Classic and vB 4 Suite, there are no longer 'Owned' and 'Leased' licenses. Therefore there is also no longer an option to renew licenses.

For more information about this, please see the new FAQ beginning here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/faq.php#faq-94

Please see this announcement regarding an extension of the vB4 pre-sale:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...38#post1845138
                        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Lol amazing these discussions have been around for months and it is still going - goes to show you cant please everyone. The new licenses is simple and easy to understand and is worth any money laid out.

Comment

As long as your licenses are current when it is released, you can upgrade to free yes.
                            We've never sold a lifetime license. You may have purchased an Owned License but they were never legally referred to as a Lifetime license.

If you upgrade to the Suite for $160 per license, you won't have to pay anything else until vBulletin 5.0 comes out and you decide to upgrade to that. We are not doing annual renewals anymore. You pay for the major version. The Suite also includes our blog and CMS addons so you can use those to expand your websites.

If you are happy with your current version, you don't have to purchase anything. You can continue using it and receive support until it is end-of-lifed.
                            No offense Wayne, but this statement is not true, especially not as most here understand it.

I had a couple of licenses that were vBulletin 3. In October, some of my sites were running 3.6.x since we weren't ready to do the template upgrades but were going to do so imminently. The maintenance subscription had run out this year but I thought there was no problem with paying my $40 and installing the upgrades to 3.8.x. What did I find out one fine day much to my surprise? "That particular product was discontinued" and my ONLY choice to get the 3.8.x download for my vBulletin version 3 was either to pay $175 to upgrade it to the vBulletin 4 forum only or $190 for the forum and suite. I really like the wordsmithing - maintenance product was discontinued as opposed to saying you've got to buy version 4 or else you won't be able to use version 3 until its end of life and last version.

Legally it would seem that you can use 3.6.x and 3.7.x perpetually- or your vBulletin 4.x license, whatever the last version of vB 4 is that you can download when your maintenance subscription runs out in 2010. But if you want to get any needed patches and releases to the vBulletin 4 product, you're going to pay in 2010. And according to the word here and elsewhere, you're going to pay even more if you decide to upgrade then as opposed to laying out the cash right now. So the real question is, how irate will you be in 2010 if you find out that what you could have bought for $160 now (or whatever the price is) will cost you $235 or whatever it is then?
                            My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

It seems rather heated in here...

*hands around refreshments and cookies*

Comment

Originally posted by icarusforde View Post
                                It seems rather heated in here...

*hands around refreshments and cookies*

With an issue like this... it's expected.....

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X