V4 Attachment Thumbnails. Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V4 Attachment Thumbnails. Again

i see that v4 supports attachment thumbnails, as long as GD is enabled within the host's PHP implementation (which as far as i've been able to determine, it is)

could someone confirm (or disconfirm) the following, please:

1 > that thumbnails are generated automatically when a member posts a new thread containing an attachment in the first post?

2 > that a thumbnail is generated automatically if a member posts a thread containing an embedded [img] link? (this one not so important, although it would be a nice to have)

3> are the thumbnails square versions of the attachment, whatever format the attachment happens to be in (landscape, portrait, etc), or are they, for example, square "windows" into part of the image?

4 > would members have any way of overriding generated thumbnails? (i.e. could they create the thumbnails themselves)

5 > do the thumbnails automatically appear on all list screens (i.e. "new posts" etc) as well as on forum screens

the answers to these questions will very much influence my decision as to whether i'll bother upgrading to v4, or whether i'll just stick with my v3.8 implementation (which already contains a working attachment thumbnail generator)

thanks in advance for any replies

You know, this forum runs the beta, there's a testing forum, and you can use all of the features. Just try, but be aware that there still might be bugs

Comment

...ok... testing...

well, i've attached an attachment, and i can't see any thumbnail... just the usual paperclip

probably done something wrong... or maybe it's a bug... or... whatever... *shrugs*
      Attached Files

Comment

Thumbnails are annoying imo :V

I find the full image in-place with a resizer much more accessible.

Comment

Originally posted by hieronymous View Post
          ...ok... testing...

well, i've attached an attachment, and i can't see any thumbnail... just the usual paperclip

probably done something wrong... or maybe it's a bug... or... whatever... *shrugs*
          I see the thumbnail just fine...

Comment

I see the thumbnail, too.
            Tormod Guldvog
            Hypography - Science for everyone // Science Forums

Comment

I see the thumbnail fine too.
              Mikey
              PDAPhoneHome ... Get Converged! / NortheastFoto ... Get Imaged!

Comment

i suspect there may be some confusion as to what i mean by "thumbnails". either that or you guys are seeing something which i can't myself see

this is how my current forum works. as can be see, the thumbnails (which are automatically generated when a user attaches a piece of artwork) appear on list, and also forum, screens as images. not just little paperclips or placeholders

they are either generated automatically from the attached image, as smaller versions of it, or can be manually attached by the user as small, 80x80 images

the advantage of them is that viewers can decide, on the basis of the thumbnail, whether they wish to view a particular image or not

all i want to know is: will such a facility be available in v4? if it won't be there's no point in my bothering to upgrade, because this facility is fundamental to how my site works (and sure as eggs is eggs, the add-in that i use won't work in v4)

however if there will be such a facility, then i will seriously consider going through the hassle
                Attached Files

Comment

The thumbnails are working fine:

It will take a bit of code modification to make them display where you want them to, but the generating ability is there.

Originally posted by hieronymous View Post
                  1 > that thumbnails are generated automatically when a member posts a new thread containing an attachment in the first post?

2 > that a thumbnail is generated automatically if a member posts a thread containing an embedded [img] link? (this one not so important, although it would be a nice to have)

3> are the thumbnails square versions of the attachment, whatever format the attachment happens to be in (landscape, portrait, etc), or are they, for example, square "windows" into part of the image?

4 > would members have any way of overriding generated thumbnails? (i.e. could they create the thumbnails themselves)

5 > do the thumbnails automatically appear on all list screens (i.e. "new posts" etc) as well as on forum screens
                  1) Yes.
                  2) If the member chooses the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" option, then yes.
                  3) The thumbnails maintain the same aspect ratio as the original attachment, with a black info bar added on the bottom (not sure what the options for customizing this are).
                  4) Probably not.
                  5) As of now, no. They only appear in the actual thread.
                  Last edited by Eriksrocks; Thu 5 Nov '09, 9:03pm.
                  Planning to continue using VB 3.8 post EOL? Then join the VB 3.8 Forever group and visit www.vb3forever.org!

Comment

thanks for the detailed reply

i'm not seeing on screen what's in your attachment, simply a standard small placeholder image with the name of the file beside it. i guess perhaps that's an individual member setting that i need to turn on?

in any case, as things stand, having thumbnails appear in the thread itself is not really much use to me. as i said, the beauty of my current system is that members can decide whether to view any particular thread on the basis of what appears in the thumbnail that appears on the list screen. i'm rather surprised that a similar system hasn't been incorporated into vBulletin itself, as the facility is used by a number of art sites, such as the CG Society (which as far as i can recall uses vBulletin). still, seems to me that the current thrust is towards dreary "social networking" and other hot air facilities, so i guess it's not that surprising

anyway, at least i know where i stand now, so thanks for the information, it's helped me finalise my decision as to whether to upgrade or not

(not)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X