Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vB4 License upgrade and overlapping previous licenses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vB4 License upgrade and overlapping previous licenses.

First, please accept my apologies if this question has been asked already, I have had a look around but could not find anything.

I currently have 3 Owned Licenses which will expire on the following dates:-
    • Nov 18th '09
    • Feb 16th '10
    • Jun 21st '10

I see that I am being given the pre-sale option of $160 for the Publishing Suite, until Nov 16th, 2009, which I would like to take advantage of, over all 3 licenses.

However. Considering that I still have months worth of updates/support for 2 licenses, what will happen to the remaining period of time currently allocated to each license. I don't see any mention that I would be given a refund for the remaining period of time during the conversion to the new license structure.

Despite knowing that the v4 price is an absolute bargain in comparison with other advertised pricings, I still do not wish to loose out monetarily for what I have already paid for. It appears at first glance that the transition would actually leave me being diddled out of outlay already made.

So, what happens about the overlap if I buy now? Can this be explained by staff please?

Many thanks.

Beginning with vB4 there is no longer any expiration date or annual renewal on licenses. Once you purchase a license you will have the right to download and use all new versions of vB4 for life.

Also you get support for free with the vB4 Suite. So you lose nothing and nothing changes.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks Steve,

So the 10 months worth of money outstanding for currently purchased support/updates (for 2 of my 3 licenses), simply evaporates and I get no refund. The discount on offer is deemed as 'compensation' for doing the upgrade now. Leaving the upgrade until the end of the current license period sees me having to fork out an even bigger amount of money, so if I wait I loose.

Is that a fair assessment of the situation?

I have a friend who has 10 licenses, so the impact of the outlay (and loss of previous spending) is very significant.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerWare View Post
        Thanks Steve,

So the 10 months worth of money outstanding for currently purchased support/updates (for 2 of my 3 licenses), simply evaporates and I get no refund. The discount on offer is deemed as 'compensation' for doing the upgrade now. Leaving the upgrade until the end of the current license period sees me having to fork out an even bigger amount of money, so if I wait I loose.

I have a friend who has 10 licenses, so the impact of the outlay (and loss of previous spending) is very significant.
        I don't see the problem. If you want full advantage of what you've already paid for, then don't upgrade. If you run the numbers and the discount to upgrade is worthwhile, then take the deal. You don't really think they are going to be able to give everyone a prorated price for the upgrade do you? This is no different than any other software I've ever bought. I bought Photoshop CS3 about 3 weeks before they announced CS4. Poor me. I got no "special deal", and I've stayed with CS3 for now. I'll probably ride through to CS5 and not upgrade. Life goes on.
        Mikey
        PDAPhoneHome ... Get Converged! / NortheastFoto ... Get Imaged!

Comment

The only issue is you can not stay with VB3.x as long as you want. The longest duration in this case he/she can stay is 10 months. After that if new update for 3.8x serires is released they option is to migrate to 4.x license.

Originally posted by mccollin View Post
          I don't see the problem. If you want full advantage of what you've already paid for, then don't upgrade. If you run the numbers and the discount to upgrade is worthwhile, then take the deal. You don't really think they are going to be able to give everyone a prorated price for the upgrade do you? This is no different than any other software I've ever bought. I bought Photoshop CS3 about 3 weeks before they announced CS4. Poor me. I got no "special deal", and I've stayed with CS3 for now. I'll probably ride through to CS5 and not upgrade. Life goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by pingme View Post
            The only issue is you can not stay with VB3.x as long as you want. The longest duration in this case he/she can stay is 10 months. After that if new update for 3.8x serires is released they option is to migrate to 4.x license.
            That's my point... he's getting what he's paid for. He can run VB3.x as long as he wants because he has owned licenses. He just won't get updates after they expire, and that is the same as its always been. Jelsoft has taken nothing away. They simply have a special "deal" available, and the value of that deal is going to vary in each customer's specific situation. This is no different from any other special deal that plenty of other companies offer. For example, you see a special software bundle you can buy, but you already have several of the products in the bundle. The bundle might not be a good deal, so you pass.
            Mikey

Comment

This is no different than any other software I've ever bought. I bought Photoshop CS3 about 3 weeks before they announced CS4. Poor me. I got no "special deal", and I've stayed with CS3 for now. I'll probably ride through to CS5 and not upgrade. Life goes on.
              1. You are not buying software, you are buying a license to use it.
              2. Your example is void, the offer on the table from vB is a different licensing model, and nothing to do with a diferent software version, despite what the badge says.

Comment

You don't really think they are going to be able to give everyone a prorated price for the upgrade do you?
                Yes, it's not rocket science, why should we loose previous outlay. Maybe you think its trivial, I don't. I work to a budget, I'm not rich, and I have no wish to feed the coffers of any company from my coin without clarity from their reps. Which I have not yet received BTW.

Comment

Thanks Steve,

Steve, I would appreciate a clear reply from VBULLETIN STAFF on my previous posting.

Comment

Not sure what the question is. The prices and policies have been set and are available for all to see. If you are asking for a change in prices and policies, then I'm afraid that is not going to happen.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                      Not sure what the question is. The prices and policies have been set and are available for all to see. If you are asking for a change in prices and policies, then I'm afraid that is not going to happen.
                      Well Steve my old china, I have asked the same question twice, but let's go for third time lucky eh?

I'll even be verbose enough so there is no possibility that anyone could misunderstand my English grammar.

Please read the following assessment based on my observations of the 'deal':-
                      Please answer the following question:-

Comment

That is a fair assessment of the situation. You are beat, just like everyone else. You paid for something they changed the terms because they can and you lose. Not being mean or anything, I'm just as mad as everyone else.

Comment

The answer is that the prices and policies are set. You have the choice of upgrading of for less, money, upgrading later for more money, or not upgrading and continuing to run your versions of vB for as long as you want (assuming these are not leased licenses.)

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

1. You are not buying software, you are buying a license to use it.
                            2. Your example is void, the offer on the table from vB is a different licensing model, and nothing to do with a diferent software version, despite what the badge says.
                            Excuse me, but my example is not void. And I am completely aware that you buy a license, which is the case with the examples I gave. Forgive me for not spelling out "buy a license" in every example. My example was very similar.
                            Mikey

Comment

Yes, it's not rocket science, why should we loose previous outlay. Maybe you think its trivial, I don't. I work to a budget, I'm not rich, and I have no wish to feed the coffers of any company from my coin without clarity from their reps. Which I have not yet received BTW.
                              If you don't want to lose your previous "outlay", then don't upgrade until it expires. That's not rocket science either. If you want the special deal, then you upgrade now.
                              Mikey

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X