Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I do this: Forum on one domain, CMS on another ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I do this: Forum on one domain, CMS on another ?

I read there's a way to make the forum mydomain.com/forums for example. But what about two totally different domain names? Like mydomain.com for the forums and myotherdomain.com for the CMS?

No, that will not be possible.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

A related question:

Will it be possible to have the forum in, for example, www.mydomain.com/forum (so that existing links are retained) and the cms in other subdirectories eg. www.mydomain.com/news
      Last edited by freqfly; Sun 1 Nov '09, 7:08pm. Reason: typo

Comment

I want to do this too, but I believe the answer I've seen elsewhere is that isn't possible in 4.0. I don't have the link to the thread, but it said that there is one php file for the forums, one for blogs, and one for the cms. You can chose in admincp which you want to be index. So in my case this is a problem for a couple of reasons. Today my forums are in /forums, and my home page is not. Also, I've found that trying to get news accepted by folks like Google News, you can't do it if your news is in forums... it needs to be in some other directory like /news. And, it is also much more user friendly for the users trying to find stuff. I currently use vBSEO and believe that it will let you solve this problem. I just posted a question there about it... but I'm pretty sure they can create the on the fly urls and redirects to make this problem go away for now.
        Mikey
        PDAPhoneHome ... Get Converged! / NortheastFoto ... Get Imaged!

Comment

I currently use WordPress for the main section of my site mydomain.ca and mydomain.ca/forum for my vbulletin installation. Like others, I would like to use the CMS on a new domain newdomain.ca and the forum on the existing url. I will not use a V1.0 product as my CMS simply because I don't trust it. I bought Jelsoft's BLog product and now its gone so who's to say the CMS product might not be left out to pasture in the future!

I don't see why it is forbidden to use the CMS on a separate domain on the same server. Each component is only being used under one domain and I would actually buy the product. As it stands now, I won't

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X