Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cellarius
    replied
    Yeah. Microsoft, the best example for observed release dates ever! Man, I remember the times when Microsoft bashing was trendy, now Billy is even good as a role model... do I miss the old times... *lol*

cellarius *whistles: the times, they are a'changin'*

Leave a comment:

• akonze
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    That is an unfortunate fact of software development.
    You are truly believing this, right? Man, where do you live? Behind the moon? I have seen hundreds of companies publishing clear release dates and, guess what, in fact releasing exactly at that date. Take Microsoft Windows 7 i.e.

Furthermore in fact it is all about collecting money. There ist absolutely no other reason then collect money. Otherwise Jelsoft just could have started a preorder without the payment, couldn't they?

Leave a comment:

• P1erce
    replied
    According to their updates, you only pay for every major release..

Though thats not to say the version number will increase faster or slower than historic. As far as I have seen there is no release of future update costs...

It also gives vbulletin a major incentive to create a lot of new features which means they can justify the revision increments.

Ive renewed an existing license and an expired license so if you only have 1 to renew then you shouldnt be too worried.

The reason the price has been dropped is an effort of good faith, i.e. invest in a future product that your not 100% sure on for a lower revised price. It would be sickening if there was no "special offer" at all.

Either way if your not comfortable, you can wait and if you like what you see you can then either choose to go to a suite or stick with basic of course you will pay for that luxury.

Pierce

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by FreshFroot_ View Post
    Shouldn't the difference from an active and inactive license be within $40?
    Why? Just because you happen to have an inactive license? You were warned, you didn't heed the warning (or common sense), so you are paying (or not paying) a completely legitimate price.

I haven't had an active forum but I've kept an active license for years in order to stay current. Why didn't you renew?

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by GeorgeB View Post
    Jan 15th would be the 1st quarter of 2010!
    Maybe for "Millennium Captial Group, LLC.", but not necessarily for other companies. For example, Jan. 15 '10 would be Q2 according your country's federal government.

It could depend on the corporation, too.

Leave a comment:

• jw00dy
    replied
    Originally posted by slinky View Post
    This is exactly why we and none of our clients are upgrading any of the expired licenses and considering not even upgrading many of the current ones. It's just $5 less than buying a whole new vBulletin 4 license. We've been waiting until the end of this quick upgrade period to see if there is any discussion about what would be logical and reasonable. It's unfortunate since all of us wanted to embrace a new version but this is making it very difficult. And time is quickly running out.
    Ditto. I'm exactly where both of you are. 2 expired owned licenses, and I'm having a tough time coughing up the $70 difference. My one leased license has been renew for $130, so I'm not seeing the justice here.

Leave a comment:

• Abomination
    replied
    Originally posted by slinky View Post
    This is exactly why we and none of our clients are upgrading any of the expired licenses and considering not even upgrading many of the current ones. It's just $5 less than buying a whole new vBulletin 4 license. We've been waiting until the end of this quick upgrade period to see if there is any discussion about what would be logical and reasonable. It's unfortunate since all of us wanted to embrace a new version but this is making it very difficult. And time is quickly running out.
    You may want to take advantage of 1 copy of the suite this week. I've been thinking and reading the forums and used properly the suites features could be powerful. And of course you could turn them off and get the v4 license for less $ than either the suite or forums. I'm just suggesting you consider it.

In case you do upgrade 1 license you could point it to any of your forums, at least that is what I was told i.e. you could upgrade one of your active licenses for $130 and use that where you are now using one of your expired licenses. And of course you will have all updates for vb 3.x forever for that v4 suite license.

Leave a comment:

• slinky
    replied
    Originally posted by FreshFroot_ View Post
    Shouldn't the difference from an active and inactive license be within $40? why is there a difference of $70 for inactive users? Do you know how many users with owned inactive licenses will just be turned away from this price? That's basically saying your support means crap to us.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFroot_
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery View Post
    The license said the 120 USD discount was for active license holders. There was an anouncement about a presales offer being extended to expired license holders as well.
    Shouldn't the difference from an active and inactive license be within $40? why is there a difference of $70 for inactive users? Do you know how many users with owned inactive licenses will just be turned away from this price? That's basically saying your support means crap to us.

Leave a comment:

• slinky
    replied
    Originally posted by tormodg View Post
    Pre-ordering is a standard procedure for a lot of software developers and is quite often done just before launch to cater to existing customers. I use a lot of music production software and this is a well-known, and much appreciated, tactic.
    So do I but usually:

- I'm given prior notice about the sale and time to take time to first understand all the options

- I am given a certain date when buying the current version entitles me to a free upgrade without paying another upgrade fee

- My upgrade cost is usually never more than 50% of the purchase price for a new license (not almost 90% as it is here)

- The software has already been in beta testing and there is a reasonably good estimate as to when it is expected to come out, not user speculation

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeB
    replied
    Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra View Post
    Ray said that the vb4 gold would be released in Q4. So assume January 15th and you should be okay.
    Jan 15th would be the 1st quarter of 2010!

Leave a comment:

• tormodg
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Oaks View Post
    As a business owner, I've see businesses take orders before a product was ready, but it has always been to generate the funds necessary to produce the product to begin with. That makes me feel that those of us who purchase the software now are really simply paying the company to actually create it.
    Pre-ordering is a standard procedure for a lot of software developers and is quite often done just before launch to cater to existing customers. I use a lot of music production software and this is a well-known, and much appreciated, tactic.

That we're paying for the development of software is, well, what do you expect?

That we're paying for the development of vB4, however, is likely not the case, since it's already running here at vbulletin.com in a beta version and is being finalized for launch either in Q4 2009 or Q1 2010. But we have no guarantees for that, thus you can choose to *not* buy into the pre-sale deal.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    The email sent out didn't state that your had to have a license that has paid up to date.
    The license said the 120 USD discount was for active license holders. There was an anouncement about a presales offer being extended to expired license holders as well.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Oaks
    replied
    I would imagine there are many like myself that are apprehensive about paying $200+ for a product that's not yet available just to 'save money'. As a consumer, it really makes me wonder why their trying to drum up the cash for something that has no release date and is clearly not available.

As a business owner, I've see businesses take orders before a product was ready, but it has always been to generate the funds necessary to produce the product to begin with. That makes me feel that those of us who purchase the software now are really simply paying the company to actually create it. How much time does that take to write it, test, it and debug it. Taking in to consideration what ShogunLord posted, I don't want to suffer like others did and wait over a year for the actual product. That $200+ could be better invested elsewhere.

For me personally, I got an email that said I could preorder for $130. Then when I logged in it said $210. The email sent out didn't state that your had to have a license that has paid up to date. Just that 'I' had a license and could pre-order. Well, considering my last vBulletin forum was using software owned by the hosting company, I consider myself as actually having a license now because I purchased one to own my current vBulletin.

I tried to call and ask about it. After a long wait on hold I was greeted and told they're wasn't anyone available to answer my questions. Maybe many other site owners have the same questions and issues.

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    Ray said that the vb4 gold would be released in Q4. So assume January 15th and you should be okay.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X