Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzled by new vBulletin upgrade method

Greetings.

I would like some clarification on the method of renewing an owned license. I am running vBulletin 3.8.4 Patch Level 1 and my 'owned license' will expire in a few days.

1. Am I required to purchase vBulletin 4.0
    2. If I do not chose to upgrade to vBulletin 4.0, will I still have access to bug fixes and patch updates for 3.8.4 ?
    3. How do I go about renewing my 'owned license' if I chose to stick with 3.8.4?

Thank you.

No you are not required to upgrade->purchase() vBulletin 4. You will continue to receive updates for 3.8.x until it EOLs
    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation

Comment

Originally posted by ct2k7 View Post
      No you are not required to upgrade->purchase() vBulletin 4. You will continue to receive updates for 3.8.x until it EOLs
      Thank you for your reply. The email I received from Jelsoft seems to contradict this.

If this is an owned license, you can continue to run your current version without updating, but in order to receive discounted upgrade pricing, ticket support, software updates and maintenance and security releases, you need to purchase a license under the new terms.

Comment

If your license expires, you will not be able to down load the updates.

For the $130.00 I would update to a license that does not expire till the end of life of V4

$130.00 for approximately 2 or more years of updates. Not to bad for the price

Comment

Originally posted by Duramax 6.6L View Post
          For the $130.00 I would update to a license that does not expire till the end of life of V4
          My understanding is that there won't be maintenance updates to 3.8.4 now - but there will security patches until EOL arrives.
          If you upgrade, the license doesn't EXPIRE at the EOL for v4. Rather, v4 just won't make new updates past its EOL.

However, I agree, for $130, it's a good idea to update your license IN CASE there are more security patches for 3.8.4 in the future (it's unlikely to EOL in 2 years, and it's roughly the amount you would have paid to renew for 2 years). And if you decide you want v4 later on, consider it an added benefit that it's already covered under your updated license.
          - the makers of VaultWiki

Comment

Originally posted by thincom2000 View Post
            My understanding is that there won't be maintenance updates to 3.8.4 now - but there will security patches until EOL arrives.
            If you upgrade, the license doesn't EXPIRE at the EOL for v4. Rather, v4 just won't make new updates past its EOL.

However, I agree, for $130, it's a good idea to update your license IN CASE there are more security patches for 3.8.4 in the future (it's unlikely to EOL in 2 years, and it's roughly the amount you would have paid to renew for 2 years). And if you decide you want v4 later on, consider it an added benefit that it's already covered under your updated license.
            Nobody knows and nobody has made clear how to handle 3.x licenses and keeping them current.

With regard to paying $130 now, that's a lot of money to put up on a "maybe" and it's even more if the license is expired.
            My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

Originally posted by slinky View Post
              Nobody knows and nobody has made clear how to handle 3.x licenses and keeping them current.
              There is no "3.x license". It is either an Owned License or a Leased License in the old system. To continue to receive updates to vBulletin after the support expiry on these licenses, you must upgrade to a Forum Classic or Publishing Suite license.

Comment

Originally posted by Dismounted View Post
                There is no "3.x license". It is either an Owned License or a Leased License in the old system. To continue to receive updates to vBulletin after the support expiry on these licenses, you must upgrade to a Forum Classic or Publishing Suite license.
                I've been waiting for an official word from vBulletin Internet Services before coming to that conclusion that if a customer owns and wants to just stick with the 3.8.4 product, they are being forced to pay $190 for a vb4 license they will never use.

For example, if a customer owns a 3.8.1 license or similar and just wants to stick with the 3.x product, he/she is being forced to cought up $190 for an upgrade to vb4 just to get to and stay with 3.8.4. As someone else said, that's either telling the customer to sit with their worthless dog or be "resourceful" if they don't care to pay such a bounty. We've now got 3 days to figure this out. As a consultant and developer, it's not a great position to be in. I'm wondering why nobody official just wants to weigh in on this.

Comment

Actually, if a customer wants to stick with vBulletin 3 - the cheaper way to go would be to buy the Suite for $130 during the pre-sale. An upgrade to Forum Classic is $175 - there is no pre-sale on this price.

Just to clear any confusion - I am not employed by vBulletin Solutions Inc., I am a volunteer working on vBulletin.org.

Comment

My understanding is that upgrading to JUST the forum software is free if you have a current, owned license, and that after that owned license is out of it's update/maintenace period you can still use 3.x or 4.x as long as you wish, but without the ability to upgrade to later versions. I can agree that it seems logical to do the upgrade now, unless vb5 is set for 2011 or something.

Comment

Actually, if a customer wants to stick with vBulletin 3 - the cheaper way to go would be to buy the Suite for $130 during the pre-sale. An upgrade to Forum Classic is $175 - there is no pre-sale on this price.

Just to clear any confusion - I am not employed by vBulletin Solutions Inc., I am a volunteer working on vBulletin.org.
                      Thanks, I appreciate at least someone speaking up who is in some way affiliated with vBulletin. It's been several days with no answer.

The point is that if a customer wants to stick with vBulletin 3.x and just get to 3.8.4 or the latest version of 3.x as they assumed they could have until October 15, there is no maintenance upgrade being offered or equivalent. So the only logical conclusion is either (a) this was completely missed by the vBulletin team and they will address, or (b) they didn't miss anything and are telling customers they must pay $175 or can throw away their licenses entirely because they won't allow customers to just stick with what they thought they had, an ability to ride out v3.8. As I said, I don't want to assume because the latter conclusion seems to reflect poorly on integrity and reasonableness in this offer and in treatment of current customers.

Comment

Originally posted by TheChaosFactor View Post
                        My understanding is that upgrading to JUST the forum software is free if you have a current, owned license, and that after that owned license is out of it's update/maintenace period you can still use 3.x or 4.x as long as you wish, but without the ability to upgrade to later versions. I can agree that it seems logical to do the upgrade now, unless vb5 is set for 2011 or something.
                        (1) Why is everyone being forced to go to vb4 or face losing support that remains for vb3? What is the option, if any, for people whose vb3 licenses just expired in July-September and want to stick with the latest version of vb3?

(2) The whole vb4 is free is a half truth. You may get the first upgrade to vb4 but at some point during the development cycle you are going to have to pay even more to upgrade it again because you'll be out of updates during the vb4 product cycle! Quite frankly, for someone who paid full price for a license just a month ago, they sure aren't feeling good about having to pay $130 now or probably about $200 later.

Comment

Hi Dismounted.

Thank you for your reply. When I purchased an 'owned license' I agreed to pay a 'nominal annual fee' to keep my vBulletin 3.8.4 installation secure. At this time I do not wish to upgrade to vBulletin 4.x. However, as a responsible platform provider I do wish to continue to provide my forum members with a secure software environment. Therefore, I request a system in place whereby I can, as agreed, continue to pay a 'nominal fee' in order to have access to patches and security updates for my 3.8.4 installation.

I look forward to your reply.

Comment

I will repost a disclaimer, as above: I am not employed by vBulletin Solutions Inc., but a volunteer working on vBulletin.org. I am a customer like you.

The previously offered renewal product has been discontinued. AFAIK, when you purchased an Owned License, you purchased the right to use the software indefinitely, and to receive updates at an extra cost; a 'nominal fee' you call it. This extra cost is now $175 if you wish for updates to the Forum package only, and $130 during the pre-sale for the Suite.

Comment

Originally posted by slinky View Post
                              (1) Why is everyone being forced to go to vb4 or face losing support that remains for vb3? What is the option, if any, for people whose vb3 licenses just expired in July-September and want to stick with the latest version of vb3?
                              They're not. It's already been said that current license holders will be able to upgrade until their maintenance period is over. People who currently have vb3 probably shouldn't be expecting many more updates as it is, I'm guessing, unless they're necessary for security. The people who expired in July would be looking at $60 this year for updates and $40-$60 next year. That's $100-$120 over 2 years, and $140-$180 over 3. This upgrade will be a wash and probably a savings by the time vb5 is introduced.

(2) The whole vb4 is free is a half truth. You may get the first upgrade to vb4 but at some point during the development cycle you are going to have to pay even more to upgrade it again because you'll be out of updates during the vb4 product cycle! Quite frankly, for someone who paid full price for a license just a month ago, they sure aren't feeling good about having to pay $130 now or probably about $200 later.
                              Hey, I get it. My license isn't even 2 months old. I mean the way I see it, I JUST spent $180. Now I get to spend $130 by Friday or $300 later(Suite). So in essence, I'm paying $310 for the right to use vb4 suite instead of the full price of $285. Of course, technically my unused cost is $150 since I've used it for almost two months and 180/12 is $15 per month. But the fact is, as I stated above, over the course of the life of vb4 we will all either spend the same or less compared to what yearly upgrades were going to cost us.

Believe me, if it weren't for that, I'd surely pay the $130 to upgrade, ride out a year or so with my current version of vb, and then sell my license at a slight discount. I'm already considering, but the more I think about this, it seems like the only down side is coming off of $130 on such short notice(which is pushy and rude).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X