• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roller
    replied
    Originally posted by syrus.xl View Post
    Hi roller,
    If you want vBulletin installed, just PM me - it's a very quick job, if you know your way around database creation, etc. The longest time I have spent on an installation was around 30 minutes, and that was only due to the host causing a delay on the database setup.

Regards,
    Thanks, syrus. I think I can handle this on my own, now that I'm reading the details, but I'd like to reserve the right of recall, if you'll keep that door open for a couple of days.
    Originally posted by KevinB View Post
    It is very generious that alot of vBulletin members are offering to set it up for you, I'm not trying to take that away from them but be careful who you trust your credentials with
    Indeed. Caution is always the rule of the day.
    Originally posted by syrus.xl View Post
    Very true KevinB - people only need to check my reputation on vbulletin.org to see that I do custom work and modifications to vBulletin.

Thanks for giving some backup. I took you at your word (cautiously, of course).

I've got some more flow-charts/sizing up/creating trees to go, but I thank everyone here for being forthright in their willingness to help me get this off the ground.

Leave a comment:

• syrus.xl
    replied
    Originally posted by KevinB View Post
    It is very generious that alot of vBulletin members are offering to set it up for you, I'm not trying to take that away from them but be careful who you trust your credentials with
    Very true KevinB - people only need to check my reputation on vbulletin.org to see that I do custom work and modifications to vBulletin.

Leave a comment:

• KevinB
    replied

Leave a comment:

• syrus.xl
    replied
    Originally posted by roller View Post
    Thank you VERY much! That's a tremendous help to know what I'm looking at.

BTW, did you know that the scroll bar on the "fonts" menu does not work in IE7? No dragging or scrolling; only clicking the down arrow moves the selections down.

Thanks again. Now I've got some serious reading to do.
    Hi roller,
    If you want vBulletin installed, just PM me - it's a very quick job, if you know your way around database creation, etc. The longest time I have spent on an installation was around 30 minutes, and that was only due to the host causing a delay on the database setup.

Regards,

Leave a comment:

• shohin
    replied
    Well actually if you don't get it right you'll not lose anything (information on a present site, posts, pictures, etc.) as it seems you're just starting out with a new site. It's not as if you will have to shell out more for vB again as once you have it you have it and no harm or loss incurred whatsoever. You'll get there. If I did it ANYONE can!

Leave a comment:

• roller
    replied
    Originally posted by shohin View Post
    Better take another look roller as the pro-installation is certainly not $50.00 but $150.00! Yes, absurd but there it is.
    I stand corrected. I've looked at so many numbers in the last few days that they all blur together.

Regardless, thanks to Steve, I'm doing the old-fashioned RTFM thing now, and I'm deciding now whether I can deal with this or not. I don't consider $150 out of line if I'm likely to FUBAR the thing so badly that it costs me another $500 to get it right again.

I may indeed take JV up on his offer, and even at zero Pounds Sterling, I'm sure I can get a nice bottle of Calvados or something delivered to him as some token of my appreciation, should I need his (?) services.

Leave a comment:

• shohin
    replied
    Originally posted by JVCode View Post
    Sent you a private message, let me know how you get on.
    Hi JV,

Yes, I just got it and I'll be in touch. Thanks..........

Leave a comment:

• JVCode
    replied
    Originally posted by shohin View Post
    Hey, JV,

I'd like to take you up on your offer albeit I'd be more than willing to pay something. I have a site for a couple of years which is still running on 3.7.2. I can manage to a point but when it comes to backing up my site and installing upgrades I'm a complete noob and I'm simply afraid of screwing things up. Right now all I want to do is upgrade to 3.8.4.
    Sent you a private message, let me know how you get on.

Leave a comment:

• shohin
    replied
    Originally posted by roller View Post
    I'm personally not well-versed in this sort of stuff, and if I didn't have someone I knew to do it for me, then I would pay the extra fifty bucks for the pro install.
    Better take another look roller as the pro-installation is certainly not $50.00 but $150.00! Yes, absurd but there it is.

Leave a comment:

• shohin
    replied
    Originally posted by JVCode View Post
    Have a look at the install instructions, it's very easy to install and takes a matter of minutes (allow time for uploading files to your server). If you're still not happy, then I'll be more than happy to spare 5 minutes todo the install for you, and I'll charge you £0.00 for it

Just make sure you buy the appropriate hosting for vBulletin, check out the system requirements page.
    Hey, JV,

I'd like to take you up on your offer albeit I'd be more than willing to pay something. I have a site for a couple of years which is still running on 3.7.2. I can manage to a point but when it comes to backing up my site and installing upgrades I'm a complete noob and I'm simply afraid of screwing things up. Right now all I want to do is upgrade to 3.8.4.

Leave a comment:

• roller
    replied
    Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    You can view the installation instructions in our online documentation here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/install/
    Thank you VERY much! That's a tremendous help to know what I'm looking at.

BTW, did you know that the scroll bar on the "fonts" menu does not work in IE7? No dragging or scrolling; only clicking the down arrow moves the selections down.

Thanks again. Now I've got some serious reading to do.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    You can view the installation instructions in our online documentation here:

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/install/

Leave a comment:

• JVCode
    replied
    Have a look at the install instructions, it's very easy to install and takes a matter of minutes (allow time for uploading files to your server). If you're still not happy, then I'll be more than happy to spare 5 minutes todo the install for you, and I'll charge you £0.00 for it

Just make sure you buy the appropriate hosting for vBulletin, check out the system requirements page.

Leave a comment:

• roller
    started a topic Delayed installation?

Delayed installation?

It has become apparent to me that if I am to start this site, I will not have all of my ducks in a row W/R/T server, domain, etc. by midnight Friday. Monday will probably be the earliest that I could get it together and be ready for an install. That's not anyone's fault, just a matter of logistics and communication on my end.

I may or may not have an in-house guru who can do the installation. I'm personally not well-versed in this sort of stuff, and if I didn't have someone I knew to do it for me, then I would pay the extra fifty bucks for the pro install. However, if I can get this guy who knows his stuff to do it for me, then that fifty bucks is wasted.

One way or the other, the situation that I'm in is that I would be purchasing the vB suite license this week, but not installing it for a couple of days, and when that time comes, I might still need to hire a pro to handle the install to make sure I don't ******** it up beyond all belief.

So, if I purchase the license on say Thursday or Friday, can I come back on Tuesday and add in a pro install after the fact? Or do I have to make that choice right up front when I'm buying?
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X