Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the issue in sharing early Beta with early license holders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the issue in sharing early Beta with early license holders?

Hope this is correct forum, if not please move to appropriate one.

I would like to know WHY IB do not want to share early beta versions with whatever disclaimer you want to put it for sharing with the people (like me) who have upgraded licenses for VB4

With no timelines on horizon we are in a catch 22 situation. We can neither plan any changes to 3.8.x version as VB4 may be around the corner and all efforts can go waste and result in double efforts nor we can work on VB4 styling. I hope IB team understand you are not only demoralizing your customers but putting their forum business (whether personal or for profit) at risk?

If you can at least share the timelines (better than quarter projections) or better early beta we can at least start working on the styling

I TOTALLY second that!

Comment

Agreed.

If they're not interested in our reporting bugs, that's fine for me, but at least let us download the software (we paid for it after all)
      If you would like to see a Mass PM feature in VB please vote for it here
      *Learn Hungarian*

Comment

If I was IB, there is no way I would release the pre-release versions. For all the grief they are getting before it is even released, why add fuel to the fire? This way they can identify any bugs and fix them without inciting a riot. IMO nothing positive would come out of the pre-release. Unfortunately the behavior of 1% of the customers can taint us all.
        Paul

"Whoever believes in Telekinesis, raise my hand."

Comment

Good point pds. I personally wanted to be on the beta team and was let down when I wasn't chosen. But you make a good point here.

It may be a good thing that it wasn't open to all pre-purchasers considering what we've seen happen here the past couple weeks with those that couldn't handle a "work in progress".

Comment

I was just going to reply with "Have you read all of the posts here this last week?!" hehe That's good enough reason not to, at least the current version. Another beta or so and yeah, we might be at a place where people can stop *****ing so much and be more productive in the shaping of the product. I'd love to get my hands on it myself, so I agree with wanting to get a hold of it as soon as possible. =)

Comment

Originally posted by pds View Post
              If I was IB, there is no way I would release the pre-release versions. For all the grief they are getting before it is even released, why add fuel to the fire? This way they can identify any bugs and fix them without inciting a riot. IMO nothing positive would come out of the pre-release. Unfortunately the behavior of 1% of the customers can taint us all.
              This way vBulletin won't be able to identify bugs as efficiently and fast as it would've been if public beta was allowed. All vBulletin needs is to monitor bug reports in Projects. How hard is it? Don't mix bug reporting with community forum discussions.
              Last edited by kyrgyz; Mon 26th Oct '09, 3:23pm.

Comment

First if I remember correctly, VB has released beta versions...I do not remember so could be wrong though, second it should have been fine if they had given some timelines on when we can expect VB4 to be out. It becomes nearly impossible to plan anything for a new site at this moment due to this in terms of designing and setting it up.

Comment

Has this thread been cleaned? I'm sure some posts have gone...
                  Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                  VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                  vBulletin Hosting and Services
                  Server / Website Consultation

Comment

This is more a late alpha to me ... You'd have people who would upgrade their live site without a backup and demand support when ittakes 26 hours to complete
                    Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

I have dealt with free software for forums over the years and one thing that needs to happen before anything else is the product will need to be tested by a select group first in a more controlled atmosphere. Once a majority of potential bugs and exploits are fixed then it is possible to potentially release it for a non-production site. No one promised there would be an early release or otherwise of the new version just because you have pre-purchased a license. I think the developers were testing the waters a bit to gauge interest but more then that things take time. I would certainly like to test drive the product before making it my live site but if not then there will be time down the road for that. I understand the coders concerns but the 3. series is certainly going to continue on and I am sure, at least for myself, I am grateful for that. When 4 arrives those of us that take the coders work for granted are going to be without some of the hacks and mods we love; Its called evolution and even when painful is a needed step sometimes.

Comment

I Agree and would love to have access to Beta.!

Comment

First if I remember correctly, VB has released beta versions...I do not remember so could be wrong though
                          You are not wrong. VB 3.5 was a public beta from June 2005 to Sept 2005 went it went Gold. I remember because I was one of the ones testing it. There was none of this, applying for beta testing. They just allowed anyone who wanted to download and test it. I don't remember how they handled the following betas as I was busy doing other things after that but those were the days before IB. Liz
                          Secret City Designs

Comment

Because of all the people who aren't in beta, but yet have either custom mods, or mods they've written for the .org community, and not to mention styles/themes they'd like to have ready to go for when vBulletin 4 is released.

Comment

Thats precisely my point. Why can't same be done with V4?

Originally posted by southernlady View Post
                              You are not wrong. VB 3.5 was a public beta from June 2005 to Sept 2005 went it went Gold. I remember because I was one of the ones testing it. There was none of this, applying for beta testing. They just allowed anyone who wanted to download and test it. I don't remember how they handled the following betas as I was busy doing other things after that but those were the days before IB. Liz

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X