Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does upgrade to vb4 forfeit owned rights of vb3.8.4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    If you purchase vB4 as an upgrade to an existing license - you can only run one copy of vB, regardless of version.

If you purchase vB4 as a separate license then you can run it separately.
    That is not what was I was told in my support ticket. You've now put me in a potentially embarrassing situation. Perhaps you would care to take a look at the reply in my ticket before this gets escalated?

Comment

What is the ticketid that a member of the staff told you, you could run two live installations?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
        What is the ticketid that a member of the staff told you, you could run two live installations?
        Ticketid: 959891

Comment

Originally posted by zappaDPJ View Post
          What you are saying makes perfect sense but I have to repeat, that is not what I've been told via a support ticket. As I said previously I'm not prepared to copy the reply I received to the forums but I can link the questions I put because they were a direct c&p of a post I'd already made which was this: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...clarity-please

Specifically:

Based on the answers I was give I have advised my client to do exactly that.
          You CAN sell off your 3.8 license and then SUBSEQUENTLY buy a new 4.0 license without breaking the EULA - however, you don't then get the upgrade discount as you're buying a completely new license.

What you can't do is upgrade your 3.8 license to a 4.0 license using the upgrade discount, and then sell off the 3.8 bit, because there is no such thing to sell.

I think this is where the confusion has occurred. The members area doesn't help since it shows two licenses at present but it's definitely only one.
          MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.4 Demo
          AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
            You CAN sell off your 3.8 license and then SUBSEQUENTLY buy a new 4.0 license without breaking the EULA - however, you don't then get the upgrade discount as you're buying a completely new license.

What you can't do is upgrade your 3.8 license to a 4.0 license using the upgrade discount, and then sell off the 3.8 bit, because there is no such thing to sell.

I think this is where the confusion has occurred. The members area doesn't help since it shows two licenses at present but it's definitely only one.
            It certainly is confusing I'll agree on that. However I still have a ticketed response that is at odds with what you are saying.

Comment

It certainly is confusing I'll agree on that. However I still have a ticketed response that is at odds with what you are saying.
              I know. But from the information you've given, the ticketed response is wrong. Obviously I'm not privy to the entire conversation in context though.

Comment

I know. But from the information you've given, the ticketed response is wrong
                or zappa is misunderstanding something. Zachery will sure have a look and hopefully post the result here

Comment

Originally posted by cellarius View Post
                  or zappa is misunderstanding something. Zachery will sure have a look and hopefully post the result here
                  I agree, hence my clarification of "from the information you've given".

I've not seen the entire conversation in context and that would need to be seen to find out exactly what's been said. These licensing issues can easily be misinterpreted if you're not familiar with the process.

Comment

I agree, hence my clarification of "from the information you've given".

I've not seen the entire conversation in context and that would need to be seen to find out exactly what's been said. These licensing issues can easily be misinterpreted if you're not familiar with the process.
                    Exactly

Comment

Actually you don't. You asked four distinct and separate questions that were each answered individually. You asked if you could sell your 3.8.X license to raise funds to pay for the 4.0 license. And you were told yes. You didn't asked if you upgraded your 3.8.X license to 4.0, if you could sell the previous license. The answer to that question is no.

The exact question is:
                      If this is the case would I then be at liberty to sell off the 3.8.x license in order to raise funds for the 4.0 license without breaking the EULA?
                      Yes, you can sell your vBulletin 3.8X license to raise funds towards purchasing a new vBulletin 4.X license. Nothing in the EULA says you cannot perform a one-time transfer of a license.

If the question had been:
                      If this is the case and I upgrade to the 4.0 license, can I sell off the previous 3.8.X license in order to recoup funds from the purchase without breaking the EULA
                      The answer would have been: No. You would no longer have a 3.8.X license as you have upgraded it to 4.0.

Both question and answer could have been a little more clear though.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Ah, that's the old sender receiver communication model for you

Comment

With all due respect you've taken my questions out of context, what I asked was this:

Assuming an upgrade is purchased now, is it correct that the duration to expiry of a current licence is disregarded even if it has just been renewed within the last few days? If this is the case would I then be at liberty to sell off the 3.8.x license in order to raise funds for the 4.0 license without breaking the EULA?
                          However, I appreciate there's been a genuine misunderstanding so I'll drop it now.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X