VB4 and Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VB4 and Mods

Many of us will have Mods installed on our forums, ranging from Arcade Games
    to Shopping Malls.

Whilst I understand vb4 is a new product, will current Mods that work on VB 3.8 also work on vb4?
    Follow Chatanplay on Twitter, Youtube and Facebook

Originally posted by magz View Post
    Many of us will have Mods installed on our forums, ranging from Arcade Games <br />to Shopping Malls.<br /><br />Whilst I understand vb4 is a new product, will current Mods that work on VB 3.8 also work on vb4?
    Most Mods will not work for vb4 because of the new template system.

Comment

Some will, many will not. One of mine does work as is, but every mod that has front output will have to have it's templating redone, same goes for some parts of the code that touch the parts of the software that has been redone (like search). All in all, it will be like with every major version step in the past: some mods will be abandoned during this step, but I am confident that the major, much used and well supported modifications will be available in a rather short time - given the mod author updates to vB4. Anyway, there's no flat answer to this.

Comment

That sad for those who has many mods installed on their forums (v3)

Comment

I know right? I mean I basically now have to buy something I won't be using for many months if not even longer. My members like the options they have, and to switch to something that looks and feels completely different and has none of the mods we have now would be pure suicide. So I have to wait until there are a suitable number of mods that can hopefully recreate some of the functionality we already have before I can even THINK about switching to 4...

Comment

Thanks for the replies, although not the answer I was looking for

Comment

Originally posted by magz View Post
              Thanks for the replies, although not the answer I was looking for
              yes it is...its the third post down...that basically sums its all up.

(mods working on 4)----sum will, most wont. there..is that more clear?

vb4 uses diff codes than 3.

Comment

crystal clear, "not the answer i was looking for" was said tongue in cheek, i was hoping the transition from 3.8 to 4, would be fairly seemless. having spent an eternity building a site up to give users the features and addons that keeps them coming back, its a little daunting knowing when I upgrade to 4, i will have a virgin install, and have to do it all again

Still, i believe vbulletin is the best forum software, and know once the coders get access to the new templating system, addons will be flying out thick and fast.

I will be upgrading my licence in the next day or two.

Comment

Why do you even need to change to 4? One of my forums is still 3.6!

Comment

Originally posted by TheChaosFactor View Post
                    I know right? I mean I basically now have to buy something I won't be using for many months if not even longer. My members like the options they have, and to switch to something that looks and feels completely different and has none of the mods we have now would be pure suicide. So I have to wait until there are a suitable number of mods that can hopefully recreate some of the functionality we already have before I can even THINK about switching to 4...
                    It's your decision when to switch to vB4, no one's forcing you. That mods have to be reworked for major new releases is neither a surprise, nor new, nor uncommon. If that had to be avoided, we'd still run the code base from 2001. Code has to change, and if you develop or use plugins into that code, those plugins will have to be adapted. There's nothing that can be done to avoid that, and it's the same for every software out there. This is the downside of using modifications, but not something that can be held against vB.

Comment

Originally posted by cellarius View Post
                      It's your decision when to switch to vB4, no one's forcing you.
                      In a sense, they are forcing me to do it now. I'd agree with your statement if this pre-sale discount was valid for the life of my less than 2 month old license, but when it comes down to spending $130 now or basically $300 later, I don't think I'm left with much of a choice at all, honestly.

That mods have to be reworked for major new releases is neither a surprise, nor new, nor uncommon. If that had to be avoided, we'd still run the code base from 2001. Code has to change, and if you develop or use plugins into that code, those plugins will have to be adapted. There's nothing that can be done to avoid that, and it's the same for every software out there. This is the downside of using modifications, but not something that can be held against vB.
                      I'm not surprised by it, just disappointed about how this is all unfolding, but I'm not holding it against VB for doing a re-write. It's what I would expect of a new installment in the series. That goes for everything from tv to video games. Doesn't mean it doesn't affect me.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X