v3.8 - v4 upgrade question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1996 328ti View Post
    I guess I spend more time here than I thought.
    http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=faq
    I don't know what happens after June 2010. EOL for v3?
    Thanks for the link. It's too bad it wasn't directly in the emails and the second one I had just had a link to the order form. But as I said, the direct link isn't for customers like me, but all the huddled masses who need this critical information spoon fed to them.

June 2010 is not the issue - as I said, November 1 is. What happens if your license expires November 10? Do you no longer receive security updates until vb4 is finally released in several months? The only thing that makes sense is that vb3 updates should be freely provided. If not, every customer is forced to pay for the suite or $175 just to use vB3! Some of my clients are not switching. The forum is too deeply embedded and they may decide to go in another direction which they can develop over the next several months while vb4 is still in alpha/beta. Different needs for different clients but we still need an official answer!
    My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

Originally posted by slinky View Post
      Thanks for the link. It's too bad it wasn't directly in the emails and the second one I had just had a link to the order form. But as I said, the direct link isn't for customers like me, but all the huddled masses who need this critical information spoon fed to them.

June 2010 is not the issue - as I said, November 1 is. What happens if your license expires November 10? Do you no longer receive security updates until vb4 is finally released in several months? The only thing that makes sense is that vb3 updates should be freely provided. If not, every customer is forced to pay for the suite or $175 just to use vB3! Some of my clients are not switching. The forum is too deeply embedded and they may decide to go in another direction which they can develop over the next several months while vb4 is still in alpha/beta. Different needs for different clients but we still need an official answer!
      It says in the FAQ that everyone will be able to download security and maintenance updates til June 2010 even if the license is expired this November.

We'd like to. For those customers who prefer to use their vBulletin 3.8.x Software, we plan to make that easier by extending your access to your access to updates (security and maintenance updates only). If you are currently running a license on 3.8.x, we will extend the time period until June 1st for which you can access software updates . This means that if your license is due to become inactive in November, you will be able to get security and maintenance releases through June 1st. This offer applies to owned licenses only.

Comment

Regardless of what you think the FAQ may say, if your licenses have expired you will only be able to download the last version you were able to download when it expired. For example, if your license just expired before 3.8.4 when it was 3.8.3, you cannot download 3.8.4 from the control panel. So what does one do with a 3.8.3 version? There is no option right now but an upgrade to vb 4 suite at $190.
        My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

Originally posted by slinky View Post
          Regardless of what you think the FAQ may say, if your licenses have expired you will only be able to download the last version you were able to download when it expired. For example, if your license just expired before 3.8.4 when it was 3.8.3, you cannot download 3.8.4 from the control panel. So what does one do with a 3.8.3 version? There is no option right now but an upgrade to vb 4 suite at $190.
          No it means that you won't be able to download anything until you upgrade your license.
          I have to renew my license before it expires otherwise I won't be able to use vBulletin software.
          Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
          Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson View Post
            No it means that you won't be able to download anything until you upgrade your license.
            I have to renew my license before it expires otherwise I won't be able to use vBulletin software.
            If you own your license and your update/maintenance period expires is what I think he's referring to.

The way I understand this is that if you own a license you can use 3.8 or 4.0 essentially forever if you want. However, once your update/maintenance plan/period expires you will no longer be able to get updates to 4.0 without paying the almost $200 fee for that service.

I personally think this is bogus. I JUST spent $200 on 3.8 two months ago and then I get a two week notice that I can either spend another $130 now or almost $300 later. I've really been considering purchasing the suite on my discount and then re-selling it just below full price once the pre-sale is over. I love VB, but this is leaving an extremely sour taste in my mouth. I don't think they're providing as much info as they could, and I don't think they're putting it right out in the open the way the way they should. Bad form...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X