This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave B View Post
    btw, here is a statistic<br /> <br />IPB has already been forced to hire 2 new people to handle the increased workload VB has put on them. I don't think they are complaining though
    Interesting, though that's probably more a reflection on vBulletin's recent customer service, erm, "issues", rather than a reflection on the actual products.
    MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.0 Demo
    AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
      Interesting, though that's probably more a reflection on vBulletin's recent customer service, erm, "issues", rather than a reflection on the actual products.
      I totally agree, at this time they are gaining ground due to the differences in managament style, but due to this it will only serve to make the product better and I feel it will at some point in time surpass that of VB. As they say, the fish rots from the head.

Comment

Ya I am starting to like IPB too. I have been a VB owner since 2000 and always thought its the best but IPB sure stepped their game up. I will definitely use IPB for any of my upcoming projects without a doubt since I dont see myself ever switching my current forum from VB. I like the direction VB is going now but one would think this route should have been taken a long time ago instead of doing a catching up game now.

Comment

I've looked through the demo for IPB and all over their forums for the past week. As I see it, vB and IPB both have different strong points in their software packages. But there are multiple little features all over the place that really separate the two products for me. Look through the demos and browse all the forums (especially feature request topics, thats how you can tell what features are missing as opposed to what features a product has) and see which will suite your needs.

Originally posted by slinky View Post
          Why don't you look at them both. I've taken a better look lately. If you do, you'll notice that each one has different priorities in what it puts in front of the users. IPB has it's latest version of its site live and this is its current development track. VB 4, although alpha/beta, is now out and showing its direction. The best for you is to take a good long look at each and try them out and decide which really suits your needs better. If you're just looking for a forum, both do a very good job. The rest is what is most important to you and not necessarily one being "better" than the other.
          Good post.

Comment

You need to decide what features you will need in your site and see which platform offers it, and how those platforms compare on those points.
            Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

All I read is.. I like this I like that. It's not what you like as an admin, it's what your members like. Your members are now used to using vb, I can guarantee you that if you switch to IPB now because you think it has some neat features that vb doesn't have, you will without a doubt get loads of complaints from members who do not understand how it works, where they can find options, settings, why the skin is different (they probably will not like the change) etc. You'll get the worst feedback you have ever had. So the last thing any admin wants to do is take this drastic step. Only if the alternative is about 1000% better (which it isn't) I would think about changing software.

Comment

That is pure speculation Dutch, you have no statistics or any real proof of what you are claiming.

Comment

Originally posted by dutchbb View Post
                  you will without a doubt get loads of complaints from members who do not understand how it works, where they can find options, settings, why the skin is different (they probably will not like the change) etc. You'll get the worst feedback you have ever had.
                  Wow, sounds like an anti-upgrade to 4.0 pitch to me.

Comment

All I read is.. I like this I like that. It's not what you like as an admin, it's what your members like. Your members are now used to using vb, I can guarantee you that if you switch to IPB now because you think it has some neat features that vb doesn't have, you will without a doubt get loads of complaints from members who do not understand how it works, where they can find options, settings, why the skin is different (they probably will not like the change) etc. You'll get the worst feedback you have ever had. So the last thing any admin wants to do is take this drastic step. Only if the alternative is about 1000% better (which it isn't) I would think about changing software.
                    As an admin, I made a topic about possibly switching away from vbulletin. And while quite a few members have never used ipb before, they were fine with whatever decision I make. But if I just up and switched forum software without informing anyone, then I might have risked alienating some members because of reasons like what you said.

This reminds me of the movie Waynes World, where Garth is talking to this one guy and says: "We fear change..."

Comment

Like I said, I will never switch my current forum to IPB but i'll use IPB for any of my new projects. My current forum is too big and people are use to it since 2002 so switching now will be hard. I have to end up teaching all my moderators how to use the new tools, redesign it and hope for no complaint or else that will be hours spent dealing with my members and also it wont feel right.

Comment

Originally posted by influence View Post
                        Like I said, I will never switch my current forum to IPB but i'll use IPB for any of my new projects. My current forum is too big and people are use to it since 2002 so switching now will be hard. I have to end up teaching all my moderators how to use the new tools, redesign it and hope for no complaint or else that will be hours spent dealing with my members and also it wont feel right.
                        Many of us have the same issue. But if this is the case, you'll probably not be upgrading to vb 4 either. The need to replace your templates and modifications (this is a big challenge) and any integrations (this will also be fun) is equivalent to moving to a whole new forum, vb, ipb or other. With regard to vb4, that is both its selling point as a brand new suite with new features and direction but also its detraction if you have invested significantly in vb3. It's the reality.
                        My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

That is pure speculation Dutch, you have no statistics or any real proof of what you are claiming.
                          Actually I do have that, since it's my own experience and what I have heard from others.

Comment

Wow, sounds like an anti-upgrade to 4.0 pitch to me.
                            It's not. Settings are about the same, skin can be changed pretty easily. That is not the case with completely new software.

Comment

Originally posted by koolasia View Post
                              If you have the money then go for vB if not then go for IPB
                              IPB is not necessary cheaper and vB more expensive. It depends.

First, you need to consider the cost of support and future updates offered by either of them. IPS charges for support/updates per every 6 months. Second, price of supported add-ons and packages must be taken into account.. I understood IPS is moving away of its Community Suite bundling towards offering every add-on separate. So, they are doing the opposite of vBulletin's licensing policy changes.

P.S. What I like about IPS is that they are using their own product IP Content to run their site. As IPS proudly says "We eat our own dog food. This website is powered by IP.Content entirely".
                              I wanna see vBulletin do the same.

Comment

I'm not going to say one is better than the other but for me a multi license owner I prefer vBulletin. Way back in the early days of the web I used to use IPB but became frustrated with their service, support or their Microsoft like attitude which I experienced at the time. Back then vBulletin was the "expensive" alternative at the time and a license owner was consider a serious community developer/operator. Once I took the plunge and realized all the mods, skins, plug-ins, add-ons, top level to 3rd person support the vBulletin community offers I've never looked back. Social networking is a business for me and I demand top shelf service and support which has been provided by the crew at vBulletin.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X